Author Topic: Show yourself.  (Read 262008 times)

Offline Hinkel

• Colonel
  • Confederate Commander in Chief
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Gen_Hinkel
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: Show yourself.
« Reply #1005 on: June 21, 2013, 02:56:43 pm »
its for my reenacting unit Waffen SS British Free Corps,,should have fought about how u euro chaps are touchy about certain symbols,,
Spoiler
[close]

Why the hell is anybody reenacting a waffen SS soldier?  ::)
I'm not just euro.. im german and it is totally strange for me, to reenact a SS soldier, sorry  :-\

Offline Wolff

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #1006 on: June 21, 2013, 02:59:23 pm »
well, I don't understand it, too. There were a lot better units in the Wehrmacht without being known everywhere as crazy jewkiller nazis

Offline zac

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: June 21, 2013, 03:04:36 pm »
I wont even get onto why i reenact SS,or why anyone does as the question has been asked/answered to many times,, British Free Corps allows me not to use my limited German, and is an "enjoyable" impression, quite popular over here, WH and FJ also big

Not all Waffen SS, *not defending them here* where jew killers,,,there where even fully practicing jews fighting in Waffen SS formations , the unit i portray was quite anti german,,even got thr SS eagle removed from their uniforms,got it replaced with the union jack armsheild, and didn't use SS insignia. They where anti-communist, like many of the later war volunteers etc who joined the SS, french,Belgian,dutch etc etc there where fascists etc amonst them but most where plain in simple anti-communist and had "chosen" what they viewed as the better of 2 evils.

i understand completely your views btw

see duuring,this is why i dont post here  ;D
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 03:13:37 pm by zac »

Offline Hinkel

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: June 21, 2013, 03:24:54 pm »
Not all Waffen SS, *not defending them here* where jew killers,,,there where even fully practicing jews fighting in Waffen SS formations ,

I am aware of that. BUT this unit was directly designed by the nazi party and they reflect their organisations.

This is a huge difference between the regular german Wehrmacht and a unit, which was totally controlled and designed by the polticians and following their orders.

Offline zac

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: June 21, 2013, 03:29:09 pm »
foregt it
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 03:37:02 pm by zac »

Offline Mekkil the Graet

• Donator
  • BACK AGAIN
    • View Profile
    • nApoleonic wArs!111
  • Nick: nApolenic_wArs!111_Dev_Mekkil
« Reply #1010 on: June 21, 2013, 04:16:46 pm »
Get your shit together. The SS had some pretty decent uniforms. There are a lot of people reenacting even the SS here, and no one gives a shit. The SS merely followed the orders they were given. They were not (morally) any worse nor better than any soldier fighting during WW2. Everyone could be in the SS towards the end due to their lack of manpower.

I'd also like to point out that being in the SS carried a certain status, and still did towards the end of the war. Therefore, yes. I do understand why Zac would reenact the Waffen SS. And no, I do not understand why you are butthurt about it.

Sorry, I had to get that out of my system.

Offline zac

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: June 21, 2013, 04:54:04 pm »
Get your shit together. The SS had some pretty decent uniforms. There are a lot of people reenacting even the SS here, and no one gives a shit. The SS merely followed the orders they were given. They were not (morally) any worse nor better than any soldier fighting during WW2. Everyone could be in the SS towards the end due to their lack of manpower.

I'd also like to point out that being in the SS carried a certain status, and still did towards the end of the war. Therefore, yes. I do understand why Zac would reenact the Waffen SS. And no, I do not understand why you are butthurt about it.

well that summs it up ;)

Offline Hinkel

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: June 21, 2013, 05:03:27 pm »

You aren't german right? So I think you have no right to judge. Im sure you have no idea what you are talking about ;)

At the end of the war, half of my Family (most of the mens) were killed by SS soldiers, which were hunting germans, who did not get up a rifle to fight for the Endsieg. Those soldiers killed their own People, which did not follow the nazi orders.

So, guys who dont live in Germany have no idea about the real meaning of the SS or about the crimes, which were made by SS soldiers (there was not a single SS Division/unit, which wasnt making war crimes against civilians).
You are looking for their pretty decent uniforms.. and foreign guys are wearing that uniform with proud it seems. this is the real shit and those guys don't think about that! ;)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 05:05:03 pm by Hinkel »

Offline Furrnox

• Lieutenant General
  • Eternally incorrect, centre-left, asshole.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: June 21, 2013, 06:03:18 pm »
Are you sure that all SS units committed war crimes? I though the Waffen SS was supposed to be Germany's "elite" infantry in ww2 (I know they where the one's to do most of the Jew killing). And I think that's what people want to resemble and there nice looking uniform. also I don't think it's right to be mad about it regardless since then you would be mad at every movie having ss in them it doesn't make any sense. People are way to sensitive now a days -_-

+ I thought Gestapo (the secret police) where the once that killed there own citizens.

( I still love you though Hinkel for your brilliant mods and upcoming games :)) )
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 06:11:10 pm by Furrnox »

Offline MrLyle

• Second Lieutenant
  • NW Official Server Admin
    • View Profile
  • Nick: MrLyle
« Reply #1014 on: June 21, 2013, 07:07:17 pm »
How about you guys get back on topic.
The biggest enemy you have to deal with is yourself.

Offline Desert Thunda

• Colonel
  • u wish u knew
    • View Profile
  • Nick: K-KA_Commissar_DesertThunda
« Reply #1015 on: June 21, 2013, 07:20:21 pm »
How about you guys get back on topic.

But I learned something new from the discussion Q.Q

Offline Wolff

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: June 21, 2013, 07:24:23 pm »
no.
The WaffenSS members were often seen as complete idiots and absolute radicals by other german soldiers. Often they didn't fight as elite but as senceless suicide commands as the Volkssturm. For example an SS-Officer ordered his men to advance to an village hold by russian MGs in a proper line in marching pace....
The SS did most of the warcrimes, hunted jews and germans who still had an normal mind as Hinkel already told you.  And they did a bunch of crimes in Germany before the war (I know that wasn't the Waffen SS) .
Read the book "Soldaten" by Sönke Neitzel and Harald Welzer to get an good impression of what happened in the war...
And about the uniforms:
waffen SS : http://cdn101.iofferphoto.com/img3/item/182/571/904/genuine-waffen-ss-tunic-heavy-wear-german-ww2-uniform-a13c.JPG
Wehrmacht: http://www.oocities.org/efmshop/WHuniform36.JPG

Offline Willhelm

• Donator
    • View Profile
    • Blood&Iron
  • Nick: 32nd_Gdm_William
  • Side: Union
« Reply #1017 on: June 21, 2013, 11:43:20 pm »
People can reenact the SS if they want, as long as they acknowledge what they did. Somebody has to play the bad guys, you can't censor them out or people will forget.

Offline Subject 18

• Second Lieutenant
  • I found a Civil War cavalry saber in my pantry.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Subject 18

Offline zac

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: June 22, 2013, 01:18:15 am »
well,,while i agree with all you've said i still believe the Waffen SS,not the SS, are a legitimate part of history and can therfore be reenacted,if u doing tlook  back and accept that what happened was int he past, i can guarantee anyone that the same will happen again, this has gone way off topic and im sorry for that, The Waffen SS btw was never designed to be a "german army" but a European army, and in war ALL sides committed atrocities, the USSR is now proven to have wiped out alot more than the Nazi regime, in all honesty, recent studies have shown that the WH committed its fair share of atrocities too,and the NKVD,and the Red Army when it entered Berlin, and the Americans. Now that doesn't make it right, but the fact that it happened, should i not reenact the British in the Nap wars due to what happened at Badajoz? The fact is many people over here at least, Polish/german immigrants who have moved to Australia, Seem to see the SS as the same as the NKVD etc,so we stop people reenacting certain soviet units? No.

History is history,if we like it or not, and trying to forget it we will ALL regret it in the end.

On another note some States down here are trying to ban redcoat reenactors at events,due to the "massacres" of locals back the in the late 1700's,,so ye someones gotta play the "bad guys"

If wanted, i will make a waffen SS section inthe Reenactment discussion area later, so we cannot clog up this thread

p.s. stuff grammar,its early here ;)