Author Topic: Anyone else feel WWI doesn't receive the attention it deserves?  (Read 15751 times)

Offline MaHuD

• Major
    • View Profile
    • Reveran
  • Nick: MaHuD
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: Anyone else feel WWI doesn't receive the attention it deserves?
« Reply #90 on: August 04, 2013, 01:10:20 pm »
Intresting considering Nijmegen is outside the bataven-Islands.

Anyway, we've gone waaaaaay off-topic.
Isn't that because it was rebuild after the Batavian Revolt? (Forced to relocate to a less defensible position as punishment for revolting)
[18:51] <Evanovic> Mahud can I nominate you for best villian 2013?

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #91 on: August 04, 2013, 01:27:30 pm »
Intresting considering Nijmegen is outside the bataven-Islands.

Anyway, we've gone waaaaaay off-topic.
Isn't that because it was rebuild after the Batavian Revolt? (Forced to relocate to a less defensible position as punishment for revolting)

I woulnd't know. I don't know that much about the Romans  :P

Offline jamiecross

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 05, 2013, 09:43:02 am »
The problem with WW1 games is that companies not wanting to make a WW1 based game is not because they barely know anything about it, it's mainly because It's very hard to make a profit from it. It's not really entertaining for some people to play a game where you sit in a trench for months waiting for the enemy to attack, while the enemy does the same thing, called a stalemate.

Well, to be honest WW1 was unique, who cares about the game, I don't know if your British, french or whatever, but these brave men thrown there life's away for the stuff we can do today, well ww2 is more unique in this way but still, standing in a line and getting shot at may be brave but when they charge out of their trenches in ww1, because  the machine gun had recently been invented many many of them died, more people lost their lives in ww1 than the Napoleonic Wars for the shit we can do today, those brave men, despite the Napoleonic wars went on longer, Total KIA, Wounded etc in WW1: 22,477,500, Total Kia Wounded etc in Napoleonic Wars: 3,350,000 to 6,500,000,

I understand a game would be boring, but the point is if we lost this war, the British "Myself" and the French would be speaking German.

Offline Docm30

• First Lieutenant
  • Retired.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 05, 2013, 10:15:07 am »
I understand a game would be boring, but the point is if we lost this war, the British "Myself" and the French would be speaking German.

The French continued to speak French after losing the Franco-Prussian War. What makes you think World War 1 would have been different?

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 05, 2013, 10:16:33 am »

Don't be ridicious.

Offline jamiecross

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 05, 2013, 10:42:47 am »
I apologize about that, maybe that was wrong lol.

Offline jamiecross

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 05, 2013, 10:43:33 am »

The French continued to speak French after losing the Franco-Prussian War. What makes you think World War 1 would have been different?

Nice mod btw, I been following since mid 2012.

Edit: I don't know much about that war, but if I'm correct they didn't take France they just made it a Republic?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 10:49:09 am by jamiecross »

Offline Docm30

• First Lieutenant
  • Retired.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 05, 2013, 10:57:14 am »
The Third French Republic was created part way through the war when the French people lost faith in the Imperial Government. The main result of the French loss was the German Empire's annexing of Alsace, a territory they had long considered rightfully theirs.

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
  • Nick: FSE_Olafson
  • Side: Union
« Reply #98 on: August 05, 2013, 11:12:26 am »
Yeh, just because Nazi Germany was stupid and simply took everything, does not mean that the German Empire would have done the same.
They captured france 1870-1871, France still exists and they still talk French....

Offline zac

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 05, 2013, 11:24:32 am »
^

Offline Schmidtche

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Skirm without a home.
« Reply #100 on: August 05, 2013, 12:45:21 pm »
The problem with WW1 games is that companies not wanting to make a WW1 based game is not because they barely know anything about it, it's mainly because It's very hard to make a profit from it. It's not really entertaining for some people to play a game where you sit in a trench for months waiting for the enemy to attack, while the enemy does the same thing, called a stalemate.

Well, to be honest WW1 was unique, who cares about the game, I don't know if your British, french or whatever, but these brave men thrown there life's away for the stuff we can do today, well ww2 is more unique in this way but still, standing in a line and getting shot at may be brave but when they charge out of their trenches in ww1, because  the machine gun had recently been invented many many of them died, more people lost their lives in ww1 than the Napoleonic Wars for the shit we can do today, those brave men, despite the Napoleonic wars went on longer, Total KIA, Wounded etc in WW1: 22,477,500, Total Kia Wounded etc in Napoleonic Wars: 3,350,000 to 6,500,000,

I am sorry, but it's well established that WW1 was a war of empires. No one died for "Freedom" in that war, no matter what Propaganda wanted their soliders to believe. I even doubt the borders would have changed that much in western Europe, propably would have had more effects on Africa if anything.

Eastern Europe would propably have been redrawn, but that happened anyway die to the Revolution.

And not even Nazi Germany in WW2 would have annexed more than maybe Alsace-Lorraine again, they hold on to France because there was still a war to fight with the British, of course they would have installed a german-friendly regime like the Vichy one.

The land they wanted to annex was in the east.

Offline jamiecross

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 05, 2013, 01:33:15 pm »

I am sorry, but it's well established that WW1 was a war of empires. No one died for "Freedom" in that war, no matter what Propaganda wanted their soliders to believe. I even doubt the borders would have changed that much in western Europe, propably would have had more effects on Africa if anything.

Eastern Europe would propably have been redrawn, but that happened anyway die to the Revolution.

And not even Nazi Germany in WW2 would have annexed more than maybe Alsace-Lorraine again, they hold on to France because there was still a war to fight with the British, of course they would have installed a german-friendly regime like the Vichy one.

The land they wanted to annex was in the east.

I might be thinking about ww2 and I apologize for my 100th mistake, but they were fighting to keep freedom in ww2 and not let Nazis take control of England.

Offline Schmidtche

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Skirm without a home.
« Reply #102 on: August 05, 2013, 04:21:50 pm »
Well it's safe to say a german victory would have installed fascist regimes in all of Europe, so yes that one was for Freedom. (Though I stand by my point that no democatic state would have interfered in a Nazi-Communist war, if Poland had not been in the way, but that's a discussion for  the other Thread)

Though way too many people like to think Germany would have annexed everything, hence the "speaking german" phrase, which is of course wrong. It would have been english Nazis and french Nazis ruling their countrys, controlled by Berlin. Just like Moscow controlled eastern Europe in reality.

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
  • Nick: FSE_Olafson
« Reply #103 on: August 06, 2013, 03:25:20 pm »
Pfff. A war between states is not a war for freedom. A civil war is a war for freedom. 

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 06, 2013, 03:53:40 pm »
Pfff. A war between states is not a war for freedom. A civil war is a war for freedom.

The American civil war is sometimes referred to as the War between the States...