Author Topic: Napoleonic Wars: Mapping Support  (Read 217672 times)

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
  • Nick: FSE_Olafson
  • Side: Union
Re: Napoleonic Wars: Mapping Support
« Reply #195 on: January 02, 2015, 05:34:37 am »
Download of large (filesize) maps does not increase server performance at all.
Just keep in mind that large maps mean longer downloading times for players.

And obviously, maps with a million movable/destructible sceneprops will cause server performance problems.
So try to keep movable/desturctible sceneprops at a minimum. Although... It is hard to decrease performance with walls.
Cannons and boats however, lagg it out quite quickly.

Filesize of the map depends on the information that it stores. The more objects you are placing, the more information needs to be send.
Terrain will always be the same. So it doesnt matter if you add alot of terrain textures, or hills to the map. 
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 05:37:36 am by Olafson »

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
  • Nick: FSE_Olafson
« Reply #196 on: January 02, 2015, 05:35:34 am »
So i've been putting together a large map, it's about twice/thrice the size of a normal map(in actual terrain size, not kb). I keep finishing it, but every time it's done, and i save it and close NW, it's gone, as in i boot it up again and it's reverted back to original? this is really infuriating, does anyone have any idea what i'm doing wrong

Check if the map that you are editing is using a random map scenecode.

Offline Michael Fish

• Major
  • Ubique
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 1stRHA_Col_Fish
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #197 on: January 02, 2015, 06:12:23 am »
So i've been putting together a large map, it's about twice/thrice the size of a normal map(in actual terrain size, not kb). I keep finishing it, but every time it's done, and i save it and close NW, it's gone, as in i boot it up again and it's reverted back to original? this is really infuriating, does anyone have any idea what i'm doing wrong

Check if the map that you are editing is using a random map scenecode.
It was much more simple than that, turned out i wasn't running the game in admin mode, so it couldn't edit/replace the files in it's directory

Offline Gurkha

• Lieutenant General
  • Former 33rd LtCol
    • View Profile
    • Official 33rd Regiment of Foot Website
  • Nick: Gurkha
« Reply #198 on: January 11, 2015, 05:20:12 pm »
Hey, I'm having a mapping problems at the moment.

1. Gatehouses that don't close.

I've added the portcullises and winches, they work fine in scene editing however whenever I put them into a public server they don't seem to work as once opened they fail to close.

Spoiler
[close]

Offline Dekkers

• Colonel
  • Left hand's fast but the right hand's sturdy
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #199 on: January 11, 2015, 07:10:41 pm »
I believe it's because your portcullis resets up there. Try removing the prop and replacing it. (Winch and portcullis that is). Also make sure that you don't have too many portcullis near each other. You can also try giving them vars, although that shouldn't be necessary with NW.
Dekkers has become the community's designated old man with alzheimers who sits in the corner reminiscing about simpler times, happier times... "The spins" he wails "do you remember the SPINS!!!"

Offline Profi

• Private
    • View Profile
  • Nick: IVe_45e_SdtV_Profy
« Reply #200 on: January 13, 2015, 12:42:04 am »
Good evening,

I have a question about the lighting of a map, the items " Light light_sun ect ... " do not make artificial light have as can be seen in the other mod ( exmple : native or other) .

I like to know if there was a particular manipulation or do something else, because for the scenes in the interior , lack of light ... : / or just disable ? (Which will be a shame ) .

Thank you , Profy.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 11:01:44 pm by Profi »
Soldat vétéran de plus de 3 ans d’expérience au sein du IVe Corps d'armée Français ( NW )
Mappeur par passion

Offline hardcorefreestyleboy

• Second Lieutenant
  • Yes the name is supposed to be RAINBOWLIKE
    • View Profile
  • Nick: GERRY
« Reply #201 on: February 01, 2015, 08:33:21 am »
Please answer the above someone
Gerry is butiful!!!

Offline Dekkers

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: February 01, 2015, 12:53:25 pm »
In NW they're disabled
Dekkers has become the community's designated old man with alzheimers who sits in the corner reminiscing about simpler times, happier times... "The spins" he wails "do you remember the SPINS!!!"

Offline Profi

• Private
    • View Profile
  • Nick: IVe_45e_SdtV_Profy
« Reply #203 on: February 07, 2015, 05:10:59 pm »
Thank you for answer , even if it 's late  ;)

I  can know why ?  :o
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 05:13:07 pm by Profi »
Soldat vétéran de plus de 3 ans d’expérience au sein du IVe Corps d'armée Français ( NW )
Mappeur par passion

Offline Dekkers

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: February 07, 2015, 05:34:23 pm »
No idea, I really liked it

Offline Moi~

• Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Verm2 god
« Reply #205 on: February 17, 2015, 04:35:02 pm »
Having issue with terrain code
I've been using a specified terrain code to met the size requirements of my map, but each time i modify the terrain, changes do not save. I can edit the terrain but next time i open the map all changes are reverted (only happens with terrain coded maps)
Any ideas why this happens?
padawan should replace chicken as captain, he has every ability a true leader should possess, a good voice, skill, experience & dedication. Padawan has all of these things and the only reason he wasn't allowed into team spain was cause chicken was afraid of him since he truly knew how much of a danger padawan could be to his spot.
padawan is no padawan any longer, he is a MASTER now and i would be AFRAID to fight him with team NL since he can 1v10 us easily!
#justice4padawan

Offline Dekkers

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: February 17, 2015, 04:37:30 pm »
The terrain codes are a true struggle...

I prefer to take terrain codes that already exist and then I just work on them. Just take any map you like the size off, look for the terrain code and apply copy paste.

I hope that helps

Offline KL4R1N0G4MPR0S

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: February 18, 2015, 05:17:53 pm »
Hi there, I would like to ask a couple of questions...

Q1: Is there any way to re-name conquest capture points? (Say from "Maker's Village" to "Hillside Fort")

I usually play around with existing ones as I don't like creating new ones, but I would rather like to customise their names at least :)

Q2: Is it possible to load a map that was not originally meant for Commander Battle mode as such? Does it need any specific props in order to be recognised as a Commander Battle map?
<3

Offline Conway

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 41stNY_Whatever_Conway
« Reply #208 on: February 18, 2015, 10:25:50 pm »
Hi there, I would like to ask a couple of questions...

Q1: Is there any way to re-name conquest capture points? (Say from "Maker's Village" to "Hillside Fort")

I usually play around with existing ones as I don't like creating new ones, but I would rather like to customise their names at least :)

Q2: Is it possible to load a map that was not originally meant for Commander Battle mode as such? Does it need any specific props in order to be recognised as a Commander Battle map?
Q1: No that would involve scripts or something like that I belive and it would not be universal.

Q2: Yes for example re-name your map to river crossing and it will be that map. There is no prop from what I know.

Offline KL4R1N0G4MPR0S

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: February 18, 2015, 10:43:24 pm »
Q1: No that would involve scripts or something like that I belive and it would not be universal.

Q2: Yes for example re-name your map to river crossing and it will be that map. There is no prop from what I know.

thanks Conway, to be honest I didnt think of the renaming solution :P

The prop thing I was asking about was residue from my short experience with Creative Mode in The Sims 4 (*facepalm*), where, in order to get a lot to appear in a specific category (say, residential), you have to have certain items inside it first. I couldn't think of any other reason, other than the sad truth that certain maps can only be played in certain modes :(
<3