Author Topic: Turkey's invasion of Northern Cyprus  (Read 14660 times)

Offline Archduke Sven

• Brigadier General
  • I have over 1000 warning points, be careful.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: regimentless sven
  • Side: Union
Re: Turkey's invasion of Northern Cyprus
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2014, 11:13:17 pm »
But its already shamed forever, which makes it irrelevant?

Guessing that the Germans and Japanese are damned in history also. And the Serbs, the Americans, the Aussies, the Indians, the Indonesians, the Dominicans...

Difference is that they admitted and recognise their misdoings (except the Japs, which is a thorn in sino-jap relations)

told that bih don't @ me

Offline ClearlyInvsible

• Donator
  • I'm still here. Dunno why.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: ClearlyInvsible
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2014, 11:23:29 pm »
The Indians Indonesians and Dominicans haven't admitted shit.

Also, how about that British Amritsar Massacre? Europeans have done plenty of stuff they haven't owned up to.

We need to blame either everyone or no one in cases like this.
"No man will make a great leader who wants to do it all himself or get all the credit for doing it."- Andrew Carnegie
“A man who has no conscience, no goodness, does not suffer.” - Khaled Hosseini
Faggots will burn in hell anyway, who cares.

Offline Gizmo

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Gizmo
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2014, 11:29:49 pm »
Well, it's not because "The europeans did shit" that you can't recognise a genocide. That's silly logic here.

Offline ClearlyInvsible

• Donator
  • I'm still here. Dunno why.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: ClearlyInvsible
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2014, 11:43:02 pm »
My point is there shouldn't be a double-standard. Yes, the Turkish should acknowledge their actions, as should everyone else.
"No man will make a great leader who wants to do it all himself or get all the credit for doing it."- Andrew Carnegie
“A man who has no conscience, no goodness, does not suffer.” - Khaled Hosseini
Faggots will burn in hell anyway, who cares.

Offline MrTiki

• Former Moderator
  • Senior Madmin EU
    • View Profile
  • Nick: MrTiki
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2014, 12:45:54 am »
Well that's sort of self explanatory. The Turks should own up for Armenia, the Japanese for Manchuria, the USA for the Native Americans, the Brazilians for the Amerindians and so on. Even though it isn't the fault of the current generation of leaders or citizens, governments should still own up to their past and apologise. Compensation generally seems empty and irrelevant to me, as it changes nothing, but the act of saying sorry goes a long way. And given that it isn't the current generation, I feel like it shouldn't be so hard to do so, yet governments never cease to amaze me at the shallowness that they display.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2014, 12:53:40 am »
Most nations say 'We got nothing to be sorry about'. Turkey says 'It never happened'. There's a difference.

Offline Turin Turambar

• Major General
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2014, 06:49:50 am »
Most nations say 'We got nothing to be sorry about'. Turkey says 'It never happened'. There's a difference.
How is this a difference?
If there is nothing to be sorry about there are two options:
1. The genocides you did were good and healthy for humanity.
2. They never happened.

Not quite the opposite to what the Turks say.
des is apsichtdliche Browokazion etzala ferstest du

Offline GoldenEagle

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Abii
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2014, 07:41:32 am »
Armenian genocide is held up against turks just because some of the eu states dont eant turkey to join eu. Let's get real here. Why don't Armenia open their archives for inspection, what do they got to lose? It would just end this case once and for all. If a proper inspection happened and it was proven by experts I would personally apologise for what happened. Quotes and some pictures isn't enough.

Now I know how atheists feel when they talk to religious people lol ::)

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2014, 07:50:37 am »
it seems that Turkey invaded Cyprus to protect the Turkish population.

That's one of the oldest and most generic excuses in the book. I can think of dozens and dozens of wars that were started to protect a given ethnic population in a country - the most recent example being Russia's invasion of Ukraine. So yeah, from a certain perspective it could be deemed just, but it is one of the easiest excuses to use, as any country is bound to have people of the same ethnicity living in places neighboring it. Not really a solid reason in my book, but it's been used so many times before that I guess it's considered justifiable.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2014, 08:31:37 am »
Armenian genocide is held up against turks just because some of the eu states dont eant turkey to join eu. Let's get real here. Why don't Armenia open their archives for inspection, what do they got to lose? It would just end this case once and for all. If a proper inspection happened and it was proven by experts I would personally apologise for what happened. Quotes and some pictures isn't enough.

You really think it didn't happen, Goldeneagle? I'm not sure why Armenia should open her archives. What do you expect to find? Even more important, what do you think they will find that will outweigh photography and foreign witnesses.

Offline GoldenEagle

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2014, 12:37:11 pm »
it seems that Turkey invaded Cyprus to protect the Turkish population.

That's one of the oldest and most generic excuses in the book. I can think of dozens and dozens of wars that were started to protect a given ethnic population in a country - the most recent example being Russia's invasion of Ukraine. So yeah, from a certain perspective it could be deemed just, but it is one of the easiest excuses to use, as any country is bound to have people of the same ethnicity living in places neighboring it. Not really a solid reason in my book, but it's been used so many times before that I guess it's considered justifiable.

I don't think it's long until Cyprus will be united anyway, but I agree that it has been used as a reason many times, but I still think it's a legit reason. It could easily have escalated to a genocide or anything else.

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2014, 03:43:04 pm »

You really think it didn't happen, Goldeneagle? I'm not sure why Armenia should open her archives. What do you expect to find? Even more important, what do you think they will find that will outweigh photography and foreign witnesses.

There's no way you're going to convince someone who's been indoctrinated from birth. It's literally part of the Turkish education system, and the fact that he didn't even grow up there shows just how strong it is. His parents must have drilled this into his brain from a very young age, and that further goes to show how widespread the belief is throughout generations, and how it's passed down like a family heirloom. It's scary really how effectively brainwashed they've been.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 03:44:43 pm by Nipplestockings »

Offline GoldenEagle

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2014, 04:25:00 pm »

There's no way you're going to convince someone who's been indoctrinated from birth. It's literally part of the Turkish education system, and the fact that he didn't even grow up there shows just how strong it is. His parents must have drilled this into his brain from a very young age, and that further goes to show how widespread the belief is throughout generations, and how it's passed down like a family heirloom. It's scary really how effectively brainwashed they've been.

My parents are liberalists and far leftist people. Trust me, they have no say in what I believe. I don't want to be mean, but you guys seem to never question anything presented to you, and thats what I call stupidness. I only believe in stuff there is proof of. Just because someone think different doesn't make them brainwashed or stupid. Stop being retarded in my post. Now go back on topic or don't post at all.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2014, 04:30:55 pm »
So it didn't happen and, in fact, all witnesses are liars (Including Germans) and photographs are fake? Because you just said there's no proof. Well, there's direct proof for Ataturk's involvement in mass killings in eastern Turkey directly after WW1, and you refused to believe that as well. The fact that hundreds of Europeans saw it happen before their eyes and Ataturk himself said that it was 'regular business' when the British started asking questions, sure, that's enough proof? Ataturk was an ubernationalist and there's a lot of blood on his hands.

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2014, 04:46:03 pm »
I don't want to be mean, but you guys seem to never question anything presented to you, and thats what I call stupidness.
What? It's like this is your first post ever on this forum. Nobody agrees on anything here - there are arguments about virtually anything imaginable - people have hundreds of different conflicting opinions and discussions commonly turn into shit flinging contests and have to be shut down. To say that we're all ignorant and gullible in the same way as if we're united against you is idiotic, although very convenient for you, it would seem.

Simply the fact that sentiment regarding the Armenian genocide seems to be roughly unanimous amongst a group of people who can't find anything else to agree upon is fairly remarkable, and maybe goes to show something about the validity of it.