Author Topic: Turkey's invasion of Northern Cyprus  (Read 14643 times)

Offline GoldenEagle

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Abii
  • Side: Union
Turkey's invasion of Northern Cyprus
« on: March 26, 2014, 10:48:47 am »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Cyprus#History

So I know that many people look at Northern Cyprus invasion by Turkey was illegal and whatever, but if you read this artcile (or any other really) it seems that Turkey invaded Cyprus to protect the Turkish population. I know it's a long read, but take the time and read all of the *History* part.

What do you think, should Cyprus invasion by Turkey be justified by the west or should Turkey be shamed until the end of times?

Offline Archduke Sven

• Brigadier General
  • I have over 1000 warning points, be careful.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: regimentless sven
Re: Turkey's invasion of Northern Cyprus
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 11:44:32 am »
Turkey is already shamed forever until they admit and recognise the genocide of Armenians.

told that bih don't @ me

Offline MrTiki

• Former Moderator
  • Senior Madmin EU
    • View Profile
  • Nick: MrTiki
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 11:53:51 am »
Lets throw this in the "Historical Discussion"section before we get a full blown rage fest.
(Apparently they can handle it there)

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 11:54:46 am »
The invasion wasn't entirely unjustified, but creating the Republic of North-Cyprus was a rash and maybe unneccessary decisions.

Also, yeah, Armenian Genocide.

Offline Furrnox

• Lieutenant General
  • Eternally incorrect, centre-left, asshole.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 02:16:59 pm »
Well I find it funny that the Greeks are currently the ones against a unification.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 03:37:17 pm »
Greece and Turkey have a 'special' relationship.

Offline GoldenEagle

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 03:46:45 pm »
Greece and Turkey have a 'special' relationship.

We love eachother so much we could kill eachother for it  ::)

Last time I told my opinions about that, we know what happened, so I won't even go there. Im glad at least USA supports Turkey in this case though. We shouldn't go off topic.

Well I find it funny that the Greeks are currently the ones against a unification.

+1

The invasion wasn't entirely unjustified, but creating the Republic of North-Cyprus was a rash and maybe unneccessary decisions

I can see your point here, but it was an important step to secure the Turkish population. As you may have read, Greeks were really ready to go at it against Turks, and if Turkey had just left the Turks to be, I think we could have witnessed a genocide. It might have been that the Northern Cyprus was set up temp. but stuff got out of hand so it stayed.

Offline Turin Turambar

• Major General
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 04:36:51 pm »
Turkey is already shamed forever until they admit and recognise the genocide of Armenians.

Wow. That's a glorious way of argumentation because it has really much to do with Cyprus.
des is apsichtdliche Browokazion etzala ferstest du

Offline Archduke Sven

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 05:32:32 pm »

Wow. That's a glorious way of argumentation because it has really much to do with Cyprus.

He asked if Turkey should be shamed forever, and that was my reply.

told that bih don't @ me

Offline Turin Turambar

• Major General
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2014, 05:44:10 pm »

He asked if Turkey should be shamed forever, and that was my reply.
He asked if Turkey should be shamed forever in regard to the invasion of Northern Cyprus.
des is apsichtdliche Browokazion etzala ferstest du

Offline Archduke Sven

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2014, 05:45:56 pm »
But its already shamed forever, which makes it irrelevant?

told that bih don't @ me

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2014, 05:52:00 pm »
It's a diplomatic strategy. You refuse all support until they give something you want. In this case, stop pretending that the Armenian Genocide and other ethic cleanings never happened or were just 'a few unorganised killings'. It's a strategy I support, by the way.

Last time I told my opinions about that, we know what happened, so I won't even go there. Im glad at least USA supports Turkey in this case though. We shouldn't go off topic.

You see, my man, that's the problem. You can hold the opinion 'it never happened', but that doesn't make it true - It's history, and opinion carries no weight. It just makes you look really nationalistic and rather stupid.

Offline ClearlyInvsible

• Donator
  • I'm still here. Dunno why.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: ClearlyInvsible
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2014, 10:56:39 pm »
But its already shamed forever, which makes it irrelevant?

Guessing that the Germans and Japanese are damned in history also. And the Serbs, the Americans, the Aussies, the Indians, the Indonesians, the Dominicans...
"No man will make a great leader who wants to do it all himself or get all the credit for doing it."- Andrew Carnegie
“A man who has no conscience, no goodness, does not suffer.” - Khaled Hosseini
Faggots will burn in hell anyway, who cares.

Offline GoldenEagle

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2014, 11:02:50 pm »
It's a diplomatic strategy. You refuse all support until they give something you want. In this case, stop pretending that the Armenian Genocide and other ethic cleanings never happened or were just 'a few unorganised killings'. It's a strategy I support, by the way.

You see, my man, that's the problem. You can hold the opinion 'it never happened', but that doesn't make it true - It's history, and opinion carries no weight. It just makes you look really nationalistic and rather stupid.

Sure, because I have different opinion I must be stupid. I see you are fond of drawing the ''your opinions are stupid'' card duuring. I won't support something without evidence. If armenians want to end the case, they could open up their archives like turkey for inspection, but no they still want to keep getting their donations for the victims of armenian genocide or whatever. And really which country doesn't have any sort of genocide in their history?

Offline Gizmo

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Gizmo
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2014, 11:07:41 pm »
Sure, because I have different opinion I must be stupid. I see you are fond of drawing the ''your opinions are stupid'' card duuring. I won't support something without evidence. If armenians want to end the case, they could open up their archives like turkey for inspection, but no they still want to keep getting their donations for the victims of armenian genocide or whatever. And really which country doesn't have any sort of genocide in their history?
He didn't say you were stupid because you had a different opinion. He said you were stupid because you deny something that everybody knows happened, that's like denying 9/11. You want evidence? There's tons and tons of evidence proving the genocide and I seriously don't see the point of denying it, it honestly gives a bad image of Turkey. Oh genocide isn't something that all countries have achieved throughout history...