Weapon?

Sword!
84 (24.9%)
Musket!
174 (51.6%)
Pike!
79 (23.4%)

Total Members Voted: 334

Author Topic: The Century of War (Serverfiles are available)  (Read 199715 times)

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: [NW|M] The Century of War (New Unit and Map on Pg.23)
« Reply #405 on: November 25, 2013, 08:09:21 pm »
Wait, is the mod set during the reign of Gustavus Adolphus or is it later?

Edit, in that case, please make a map of Breitenfeld.

It's set in the general period of the thirty years war, so I'm guessing it'll most likely include every battle.

Edit: wooo 28

Offline Friedrich

• Donator
  • 84e. Est. 2010. Official Non-Regiment Hopper.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Friedrich
  • Side: Union
« Reply #406 on: November 25, 2013, 08:31:56 pm »
Not sure if this has been discussed but will there be dual barrel guns and pistols, or at least the ability to have two pistols. If I'm not mistaken the cavalry of the day had two shots, they would fire one at 20 yards, and another at 10 yards before crashing into the enemy line.

Early war cavalry didn't charge, they would do a caracole, basically a cavalry version of a fire by rank from relatively close range, but still outside the effective range of the pistol of the time, which made the formation ineffective. When the Swedes entered the war we made it more common to charge instead, which we learnt from the Polish and their hussars during our brief war with them.

Ahh, thank you for clearing that up. I guess I had read something from a later time in history.

Don't get me wrong, they still used guns, particularly the Austrians who used several pistols, but in Swedish doctrine atleast the use of cavalry was to break enemy formations by riding knee to knee with cold steel. The Swedish cavalry however was supported by companies of musketeers who followed them around to provide organic fire support, since the musketeers had longer range than the Austrian cavalry's pistols, and thw Swedes could defeat the Austrians cavalry in the charge by using their superior formations (Typically atleast, the Austrians gave the Swedish cavalry beatings on several occasions, including that one time they killed our king).
Within Sweden entered the War, caracole tactic was abolished soon after. Because it wasn't effective any more against the reformed infantry under Gustav Adolphus II (too much muskets). So the charge of cavalry with cold steel was a consequential re-establishment, because a bayonet was still not in use (however, the plug bayonet was invented sometime in the beginning of the 17th century). As (german) example, he Habsburg general Pappenheim (+1632) disallowed his cuirassiers to reload (means to caracole) and charge directly after they fired their wheellock pistols once.

Wait, is the mod set during the reign of Gustavus Adolphus or is it later?

Edit, in that case, please make a map of Breitenfeld.

We just started out with the conflict between Sweden under Gustavus Adolphus' and the Catholic League under Albrecht Wallenstein's command. But later it will expand (hopefully) around the actions in the Franco-Spanish War and Eighty Years' War, maybe English Civil War, too? But still before the bayonet era!

But I don't want to promise something here we can't keep! ;)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 08:33:31 pm by Friedrich »

Offline Baillie

• Second Lieutenant
  • Baillie
    • View Profile
    • Iron Europe
  • Nick: Baillie
« Reply #407 on: November 26, 2013, 11:05:58 pm »
Good luck Tukki :) If you need any help, feel free to ask :)
Steam profile.                    Iron Europe Developer.
NW Immersion Mod. -  UPDATE RELEASED 26/09/2015

Offline Ripoll

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: GrenCheval_Cpt_Ripoll
« Reply #408 on: November 27, 2013, 01:23:08 am »
here i let you some pictures of acurate uniforms of spanish troops in flandes, i can help with spainish trops, don't know much fo the others. I hope this help you to do more historical acurate units.

cavalry officer
Spoiler
[close]
Pikeman
Spoiler

[close]
Captain
Spoiler
(the sure of captain is they have more armor than pikeman, but the helmet is like a reiter, and someone don't have helmet, the captain wearing a hat is what we see more tipical in spain)

[close]
The musketeer
Spoiler
They wear hat, no helmet

[close]

bonus pictures of the battle of rocroi:
Spoiler
[close]

if i find more information i will post, and keep this amazing job
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 01:26:51 am by Ripoll »

Offline Friedrich

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: November 27, 2013, 01:45:04 am »
Thanks for the pics, but most of them we allready had! :D

But musketeers weared as well helmets. There was no standard (in every army), it just represented personal taste and wealth.
For example, on the right bottom of the big picture of the battle of rocroi, there is a crawling musketeer with a morion and breastplate. :P

Offline Bluehawk

• Sergeant Major
  • чекмень - шаровары - шашка
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: November 27, 2013, 01:58:05 am »
Besides the extra armour and lace on his collar, the real distinguishing mark of the officer is the coloured sash over his shoulder or around his waist.

Offline kpetschulat

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Petschie
« Reply #411 on: November 27, 2013, 02:48:26 am »
Can you please make it so that pikes cannot block? Why? Pike walls fighting were VERY deadly. It should be consistent stabbing and thrusting into enemies, no blocking. Also, if you could make it so that pikes drop when weapon changes, that would be really cool.

Offline Colbac

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 24th[LtCol]_Colbac
« Reply #412 on: November 27, 2013, 04:04:06 am »
Can you please make it so that pikes cannot block? Why? Pike walls fighting were VERY deadly. It should be consistent stabbing and thrusting into enemies, no blocking. Also, if you could make it so that pikes drop when weapon changes, that would be really cool.
Pike Walls were deadly but they don't seem to work in Mount and Blade: Warband against infantry very well.
The real problem with them is that you can simply walk through walls of pikes and start slashing the guy in the front rank, making pike walls sort-of useless. I mean, all you need to really do is just block down (unless there's going to be an overhead attack with pikes). There needs to be a way to simply make them more effective.

Offline kpetschulat

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Petschie
« Reply #413 on: November 27, 2013, 04:23:30 am »
There should obviously be an overhead attack with pikes, since the main attack for pikes was overhead. Pikewall vs. pikewall, blocking pikes was hard, overhead thrusts were favored because they were direct to the head, and many pikemen had open faced helmets or morions, some even cavaliers and berets. So, it was easier to stab your enemy in the head, then to try and stab through his thick armor, or hit his legs...

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: November 27, 2013, 05:37:16 am »
There should obviously be an overhead attack with pikes, since the main attack for pikes was overhead. Pikewall vs. pikewall, blocking pikes was hard, overhead thrusts were favored because they were direct to the head, and many pikemen had open faced helmets or morions, some even cavaliers and berets. So, it was easier to stab your enemy in the head, then to try and stab through his thick armor, or hit his legs...

An extremely common tactic was to have a stationary pike wall that did not move at all, and just let the enemy charge into them. They would not thrust or jab whatsoever, and were most effective against cavalry. These pikemen were often combined with musketeers to form a Tercio formation, and these musketeers made up the shock and fire of it.

In that tactic, what Colbac says is true because there would be no thrusting involved. However, in The Deluge there was an option to brace your pike, and it would do damage if you ran at it at a certain speed (only really meant to work against cav). If that could be implemented it'd be cool.

Offline Archduke Sven

• Brigadier General
  • I have over 1000 warning points, be careful.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: regimentless sven
« Reply #415 on: November 27, 2013, 09:20:56 am »
Pikemen almost never got into prolonged melee, and if they made contact the first row of would die and then usually the less determined side would break and run for it. And if they really got that close they would start using short swords instead of pikes. Pikes during this time were meant to protect musketeers from cavalry and to deter enemy pikes from attacking.

Could you also do it as it is in Vikingr were you drop the pike/spear when you pull out a secondary?

told that bih don't @ me

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
  • Nick: FSE_Olafson
« Reply #416 on: November 27, 2013, 10:23:24 am »
Well, if you add pikes, they should be very effective against cavalry, and make squares actually usefull.
Atleast if you incorporate the musket/bayonet crouch down system that automatically kills a horse when it comes close. It does not work too well in NW, because horses can easily jump over or run by, but with pikes that should be much harder.

Offline Friedrich

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: November 27, 2013, 12:15:22 pm »
You allready can't block with a pike in our mod. And with overhead and normal trust attack. It would be too easy to charge pikes if they have only one attack direction.
And the crouch down system we use as well. Would make no sense if we don't use it for the pikes! :)

I had the idea as well, when you pull out your secondary weapon, that you drop your lance/pike/halberd.

Pikemen got nearly only in melee against other pikemen. No cavalry officer would have been that stupid to charge against those formations. Against pike formations they made the caracole (ride towards it, fire their guns, retreat & recharge, ride back, fire guns, retreat & recharge, e.t.c). But after the swedes entered the war, they changed the ratio between pikes and muskets (1:3) to have bigger firepower on the battlefield. Then cavalry reestablished charges with cold steel, because caracole against musketeers was not sucessfull.

Offline SeanBeansShako

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: November 27, 2013, 01:49:15 pm »
I got a question about bracing, how is it tweaked? does it do damage now against pretty much anyone?

Offline Ripoll

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: GrenCheval_Cpt_Ripoll
« Reply #419 on: November 27, 2013, 02:27:45 pm »
can you make the pikes, armas to carash when in combat, like the deluge. and will be nice if you have a cahange of beeing kicked from the horse when you receive damage