Author Topic: Have a question about Modding? Ask Here!  (Read 313017 times)

Offline Harybo

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: Have a question about Modding? Ask Here!
« Reply #510 on: November 06, 2013, 01:49:21 pm »

To make uniforms you need to know how to make models and textures because the model is what you play with in-game and the texture is what covers it and gives it colors. You can model and create the basic, uncolored textures in blender, but you need something like photoshop to fill in the texture and give it color. No you don't need to code. np its good that people are willing to learn, its a really fun skill to have and gives support for more mods
Not completely true, The model is the base, you only need to learn how to UV map. Modelling is something different. But I'd suggest to learn both plus rigging and animation.
Once again not true. You don't necesarily need Photoshop. You can also use Gimp or which ever program you feel comfortable with that can achieve textures with details (No. Microsoft Paint is not one of them).
It is a fun skill to have. And if in the future you decide to take up designing, it would come in handy.
Although coding is not needed to texture, BUT for adding models to the mod/game (in this case, obviously the code can be used for many other things).
Remember it takes time and patience to achieve. And trial and error.
Well its still true since you control the model in game and the model is what you see as a 3d object when playing. I just did not say the complete definition or explanation since I did not refer to it as a base.

That's why I said "something like Photoshop"

And you actually don't need to code if you are just replacing models and textures for NW because you can just rename your new ones as the same thing as the old ones and replace your models with the original models.

Offline Harybo

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: November 06, 2013, 02:00:10 pm »

Hmm, try mapping in faces mode.

Thanks, I tried that and some other stuff and got it to work

Offline Betaknight

• Major
  • To Protect and To Serve
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Betaknight
  • Side: Union
« Reply #512 on: November 06, 2013, 02:00:32 pm »

To make uniforms you need to know how to make models and textures because the model is what you play with in-game and the texture is what covers it and gives it colors. You can model and create the basic, uncolored textures in blender, but you need something like photoshop to fill in the texture and give it color. No you don't need to code. np its good that people are willing to learn, its a really fun skill to have and gives support for more mods
Not completely true, The model is the base, you only need to learn how to UV map. Modelling is something different. But I'd suggest to learn both plus rigging and animation.
Once again not true. You don't necesarily need Photoshop. You can also use Gimp or which ever program you feel comfortable with that can achieve textures with details (No. Microsoft Paint is not one of them).
It is a fun skill to have. And if in the future you decide to take up designing, it would come in handy.
Although coding is not needed to texture, BUT for adding models to the mod/game (in this case, obviously the code can be used for many other things).
Remember it takes time and patience to achieve. And trial and error.
Well its still true since you control the model in game and the model is what you see as a 3d object when playing. I just did not say the complete definition or explanation since I did not refer to it as a base.

That's why I said "something like Photoshop"

And you actually don't need to code if you are just replacing models and textures for NW because you can just rename your new ones as the same thing as the old ones and replace your models with the original models.
That's why I said not completely true.
I explained a bit more in-depth, forgot about that part. I do apologize
Sometimes you do. Take hats for example, sometimes they are linked to other units. Let's not forget the pants epidemic. Yes, you can add it as a compliment to the uniform. But it's still much work.
The first modder for NW.

Offline Harybo

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: November 06, 2013, 02:12:01 pm »

That's why I said not completely true.
I explained a bit more in-depth, forgot about that part. I do apologize
Sometimes you do. Take hats for example, sometimes they are linked to other units. Let's not forget the pants epidemic. Yes, you can add it as a compliment to the uniform. But it's still much work.

I know, it really doesn't matter but what I said is completely true as far as I know because nothing I said is untrue, but what I said may not be the complete definition, and that is where you added information.
Np its fine
Yes that's true for units that share a model, like pants for example you would have to do some coding.

Offline Admaa

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #514 on: November 06, 2013, 02:32:19 pm »
My post is no longer needed, sorry! <3
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 04:44:42 pm by Admaa »

Offline ćwieku89

• Private
  • My 1sza Brygada ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: November 10, 2013, 09:02:47 pm »
Hi everyone :D I have ,a simple cuestion :)
Is there any chance to move modification from Mount & Blade:Warband to Napoleonic Wars ?
And if not just why ? what are the problems with it :)

Offline Fridericus

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: November 12, 2013, 05:04:29 pm »
I'm using Photoshop and nVidia's DDS plugin. When I save the skin the alpha won't save and give me the following result:

http://sv.tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2e5vamp&s=5#.UoJQI-Jh4yc

Black boxes around the edited parts. If I try to save in a format which save the alpha the changes I made won't save, it still shows up as for this very instance 51st, when I'm trying to change the text to 68th.

Offline Blobmania

• Major
  • Damn Sexy.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Blobmania
« Reply #517 on: November 12, 2013, 05:20:54 pm »
It needs to be saved at Dx5 compression (IIRC) for the Alpha channel to be saved.
Spoiler
[close]

If a cat sits in a box in the woods and no-one is around to hear it, is it alive?

Offline Fridericus

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: November 12, 2013, 05:32:12 pm »
It needs to be saved at Dx5 compression (IIRC) for the Alpha channel to be saved.

If I try to save it as DXT5 the changes I made don't show. The number on the backpack should be 68, but still displays as 51.

http://i43.tinypic.com/2zpp37s.jpg

Offline BSM 'Shut up' Williams

• First Lieutenant
  • Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna!
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
  • Nick: Jean Grande
« Reply #519 on: November 12, 2013, 10:58:06 pm »
Where is the aiming animation for WFaS?

Steam Profile Signature
[close]

Offline kpetschulat

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Petschie
« Reply #520 on: November 12, 2013, 11:38:19 pm »
In the WFaS Resource files...

• First Lieutenant
  • Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna!
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #521 on: November 12, 2013, 11:58:59 pm »
I can't find it.

Steam Profile Signature
[close]

Offline kpetschulat

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Petschie
« Reply #522 on: November 13, 2013, 12:23:46 am »
Do you have WFaS?

Offline Willhelm

• Donator
    • View Profile
    • Blood&Iron
  • Nick: 32nd_Gdm_William
« Reply #523 on: November 13, 2013, 02:14:12 am »
He can't find it because it's probably hidden in the anim_human clusterfuck. It's only the crossbow aim animation from native anyway, why do you want it?

• First Lieutenant
  • Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna!
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #524 on: November 13, 2013, 04:33:06 pm »
Do you have WFaS?

Yes.  :)

He can't find it because it's probably hidden in the anim_human clusterfuck. It's only the crossbow aim animation from native anyway, why do you want it?

I want to find it because I don't like the original animation for aiming. I want to use the one I posted in Minor Modifications so the gun's closer to your face and the shoulder isn't showing too much on the screen.

Where is the crossbow aim animation anyway? For WFaS.

Steam Profile Signature
[close]