Author Topic: Are any of you dissatisfied with line battles?  (Read 8606 times)

Offline Miller

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
Are any of you dissatisfied with line battles?
« on: March 19, 2014, 02:50:30 am »
I will elaborate later perhaps when i have time, but essentially i want to ask why line battles dont look more like this:

Spoiler

[close]

and instead like this: 

Spoiler

[close]

Small units in long snake like single file lines, spread out, sprinting everywhere, jumping and spazzing out on charges (when the mentality of close order files would be kept realistically oc), no unit cohesion (so that each little line is its own free army and is capable of preforming ridiculous and wasteful things negating its comrad's efforts), etc...

Why hasn't there been any attempts to eliminate the bs and implement the rightful practices of a reenactors manual. What are we doing if not copying the style of combat of the early 19th century. With how far off we are now from proper representation we might as well be ramboing COD players imo. Should we be ok with this? its been over 2 years and nothing has changed since the end of MMs life as i observe it. Even the events which make double rank mandatory fall short because of the other listed reasons of course. Perhaps im suggesting community collectivism unintentionally, but i want to know what others think of this, if there is other discontent or if everyone except me just participates in this disorganized eyesore ritual we call a lb as a tradition and nothing more, The lack of progress in procedure and format in the past 2+ years is what i think the most concerning part of this question is. What do you think?   
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 02:52:12 am by Miller »

Offline Wardop

• Captain
  • 1a Svea Livgarde - live from an iphone hotspot
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Wardope
Re: Are any of you dissatisfied with line battles?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 03:04:37 am »
it's a game?

Offline Nasoori

• Second Lieutenant
  • ^not gay
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 03:54:01 am »

Offline Miller

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 04:04:55 am »

Offline Walko

• Brigadier General
  • Tired art student.
    • View Profile
    • 4. Silesian Landwehr
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 04:14:16 am »
I agree, but it's just hard to do.
Pointy stick champion

Offline Duc de Elchingen

• Sergeant Major
  • Comte de la Fère
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Enjolras
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 04:17:43 am »
It is because each regiment is independent none of them want to nor will they try to form lines together.
The only solution is a Faction General (unlikely) or that we get more brigades/armies.
That's why i'm always trying to find a regiment to create a brigade or army, but most don't like to co-operate and it would be hard to choose a "Major General."

Army/Brigade or no historical lines...

Offline Miller

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 04:39:21 am »

oh thats no excuse ;)

come on there must be a few of us smart lads that would take on the crusade of producing a realism line battle format, i just cant believe all of the time we have had to evolve and instead willingly choose to be set in our ways, shame on us!

The real victory in a line battle is not to win, but to make it look and feel like Borodino =P
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 04:41:10 am by Miller »

Offline Duc de Elchingen

• Sergeant Major
  • Comte de la Fère
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Enjolras
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 10:14:48 am »

oh thats no excuse ;)

come on there must be a few of us smart lads that would take on the crusade of producing a realism line battle format, i just cant believe all of the time we have had to evolve and instead willingly choose to be set in our ways, shame on us!

The real victory in a line battle is not to win, but to make it look and feel like Borodino =P

I agree! Let's do it dude!

Offline Willhelm

• Donator
    • View Profile
    • Blood&Iron
  • Nick: 32nd_Gdm_William
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 12:39:39 pm »
In the first year of NW everyone seemed to do double ranks.

Offline FrithBiscuit

• Colonel
  • PM me for pics, cutest Grimbarian
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2014, 12:40:23 pm »
The player base was so much larger then, though. Right?

I never played then.
Current:
Past: 63e CdB, 43rd Ens, 28th Lt, 1stElbe Lt

Offline stylish

• First Lieutenant
  • Degenerate, Mad, Lunatic, Prick and Halfwit
    • View Profile
    • SADSADASDSA.COM
  • Nick: Stylish
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2014, 01:33:45 pm »
Tbh, I know when I started playing the game I had the hope of some proper historical reenactment, but somewhere along the road it just became CoD.
Former Lieutenant of the 3rdFG || Captain of Team Netherlands NWEC 2014 || Primus <3 Stylish

HERISHEY NEVER FORGET; SPENDS HIS LIFE GETTING TOP POSTS, ONLY TO GET PERMBANNED LOL

Offline Hadhod

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 92nd_Lt_John_MacKintosh
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2014, 02:09:07 pm »
Double ranks are not very effective, atleast not against single lines. You give a better target to the enemies and your own rankers are not used to shoot while crouching. The only way I see it being used effectively is in "Only Double Rank Linebattles" where it's mandatory to use them.

Offline regwilliam

• Donator
  • add regwilliam to join 1stNJ
    • View Profile
  • Nick: William
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2014, 04:31:24 pm »
also i think another reason line battles don't give you the fill it should is just because of numbers 100v100 is not really a lot that was barely a skirmish back in the wars.

Offline SeanBeansShako

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2014, 04:45:50 pm »
It is a combination of numbers, silly little tricks to keep a orderly line (snaking around really takes forever to get everywhere goddamn don't bother with it) and the simply fact this community would rather sort things out with a bayonet after just exchanging one moment of volley fire.

Lines hill sniping miles from each other and flooding the server with rifles and light usually don't help too.

In my opinion, line battles are a lot more fun when the line of either side more less sticks together and at least move up close covering each others flanks. Admins should encourage line infantry to at least to work together and not wonder off and do their own thing which draws the game out.

Line battles sould be ten minutes of volleys and swift deciding bayonet charges not 20 minutes of small groups of non cav dudes rushing about in circles. It can get really tedious sadly.

Offline Siwi

• Donator
  • Where is BCoF
    • View Profile
  • Nick: -|- Where is BCoF -|-
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2014, 05:14:43 pm »
I'm considering hosting an event, more of a public event for regiment members from all regiments to participate. I want to kind of break the mentality of your regiment is the only regiment that exists and get the community guys to interact more. But I was thinking of dividing up however many people show up into specific length lines, or even do a nice 50v50 double rank, marching only line battle, or even 100v100 if we can get that many
Quote from: George W. Bush on 9/11
Battle Cry of Freedom was an inside job
NW Leaderboards
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
NA_Groupfighting

Check out the site