Author Topic: Community History  (Read 3145 times)

Offline bdd458

• Second Lieutenant
  • I write words on the internet.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 8th_KF_Mks_Gen_Illuminati
  • Side: Union
Community History
« on: October 06, 2013, 03:37:44 am »
Originally posted on October 6th, 2013.
Last edited on October 7th, 2013

History of the Community

So as I sit here looking back at some really old 8th Regiment videos I realized that we need a repository to hold all of the regimental history of Mount and Musket and Napoleonic Wars.

So if you have any stories, videos, or websites to link to relating to your regiment's history, do so here.

This post will be used as a table of contents for the rest of the thread.

Beginnings of the mod

The 8th King's Regiment of Foot

The Royal Recruits

1stNOG

Iron Guard/3e
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 03:32:20 am by bdd458 »
The 8th is not dead! Proud Colonel of the WWI and Blood and Iron/Verdun regiment 84th Infantrie d'regiment [both are recruiting. Add calicoyoda on Steam if you want to join either]

Offline Joseph Graham

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Community History
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 04:14:34 am »
It would be nice to see some kind of a community timeline thrown up, detailing various different events and such in the community; patch releases, major events circulating regiments, etc.

Offline MPC

• Captain
  • Lt. Col. of The Royal Recruits.
    • View Profile
    • The Royal Recruits Website
  • Nick: -[TRR]-LtCol-MPC
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 06:56:55 am »
We in The Royal Recruits have our own time line topic: http://z7.invisionfree.com/TheRoyalRecruits/index.php?showtopic=2000&st=0#entry4717235 but there's lots of irrelevant information there about member history that you guys probably do not care about, so I'll type a quick summary underneath here:

- The Royal Recruits were founded on the 14th of August, 2004 by Arquebusier and Forlorn Hope as a training regiment for our "sister" clan King's Royal Rifles. They were founded on the 1st of November 2001 by Dragunov and Jackhammer.

- Back then we were playing The Battle Grounds. A Half Life 1 modification about The Revolutionary War.

- The Royal Recruits became independent a few months later and soon after the King's Royal Rifles disbanded.

- A few weeks after being founded, Arquebusier made the first set of standardized rules for a little thing called "Line Battles", they were known as" The Royal Recruits LB Rules", a link for them can be found here: http://z7.invisionfree.com/TheRoyalRecruits/index.php?showtopic=1589 The Royal Recruits Line Battle Rules became widely popular and removed focus from the traditional "Capture the points" game style that BG 1 was intended for, and thus, Line Battles were "invented" for Battle Grounds 1.

- The first "Unofficial" TRR website went online, a really bad website, made by a fellow member called Dermann: http://www.freewebs.com/clantrr/

- In 2005, TRR got their first proper forum site, the same one we still use today, hosted by Invisionfree. http://z7.invisionfree.com/TheRoyalRecruits/index.php?act=idx

- After a few months other clans adopted the new game mode called "Line Battles", and the first ever Clan vs Clan Line Battle took place in June of 2005 between The Royal Recruits and the 29th ID. Here's a youtube link for Part 1 of the 4 Part video:

[youtube]Gb50ptnv0vE[/youtube]

Note the awesome "Stand in a Line, Fire, Advance, Fire, Charge" tactic. This was how the first Line Battles went ahead, since BG 1 never had any large dedicated LB maps, so everything took place on these small flag based maps.

- In 2007, The Royal Recruits switched games to The Battle Grounds 2, now based on the Half Life 2 engine. It was here we had our glory days. The "Line Battles" rules we made for The Battle Grounds 1 became IMMENSELY popular, tons of new clans popped up from nowhere, including the "famous" 51st (51st Grenadiers) founded by Stuka (The same ones that were in this game!), the 22nd (The clan Vince was in!) and Molly Nerds (Herlev's first clan I believe).

Note: Fun Fact about the 51st: After being founded by Stuka: We helped them establish themselves by lending them our server for practice and teaching them about running Line Battles. :P

Note 2: The Royal Recruits and Robert Stoneman made the official trailer for The Battle Grounds 2.

[youtube]vge-nweS32o[/youtube]

- The Royal Recruits made tons of Line Battle maps that also became  very popular and widely used by everybody. This included TRR_Strangeways (Made in December of 2008)and TRR_Towton (Widely used along side a map called BG_Kingsmountain back in June-December of 2008) for instance. TRR_Strangeways was the most popular one by far, all the major Line Battle clans used it and each time you saw a server playing that map, you knew they were doing a "Public Line Battle".

Note: A Public Line Battle is what BG2 Became known for, they were basically the same as Clan vs Clan LBs, but with public players. BG2 had its own Communication System since it was based on the HL2 engine, so there was no need to join Team Speak. Public players just joined a team, and followed the commanding officer.

Note 2: TRR_Strangeways was remade for Napoleonic Wars, and is called: Strangefields in the Map Roster.

- In 2008, many clans I believe got bored of the limitations of The Battle Grounds 2, and that's when Beaver, Biteme and another person came up with the idea of making Musket Madness. Vince later joined the team and the game got renamed to Mount and Musket. Once this game got released, it became as you all know WIDELY popular and many clans fled from The Battle Grounds 2 to Mount and Musket.

- In 2012 Napoelonic Wars got released, and since activity in The Battle Grounds 2 dwindled we chose to move on to this great game.

- - - -
You guys could say, without TRR, there might not have been Mount and Musket, and thus would not have been a Napoleonic Wars, though I guess if we did not, someone else would have started experimenting with "Line Battles" back in BG1.

In 10 months we will be celebrating our "decade" of existence :). Our clan is probably older then few of the kids that play this game!

Edit:

Just wanted to add some fun facts. Many former TRR members were BG1 and BG2 devs, and from what I've been told. The Battle Grounds 1 was made after one of the Devs watched "The Patriot" and decided: AHHA! I want to make a game like that!

So, THANK YOU MEL GIBSON FOR ALL OF THIS!

Edit 2:

Another fun fact:

50% of TRR's Active Members have been in the clan for more than 4 years!! We have a few dedicated members :)

Edit 3:

Fixed some errors.

Edit 4:

MaHuD informed me that it was not Vince that came up with the idea of Mount and Musket (First version was called Musket Madness). It was Beaver and Biteme and another third person that did all the history stuff for the game. I integrated this into my historic timeline.

Edit 5: Added some information about the 51st.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 09:16:30 pm by MPC »
Veteran BG2 player. Member of the glorious "The Royal Recruits". Founders of LB game play back in BG 1 and 2

Want to own a bit of TRR? Check out our online shop! -> http://www.cafepress.com/mpcsphotographyshop/9754721

Offline 1stNOG_IDF

• First Lieutenant
  • I will forever serve Israel, the Jewish Homeland.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 1stNOG_Overlord_IDF
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 09:29:51 am »
Stand by for NOG history.

#WeChangedNWHistory

Offline bdd458

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 07:58:03 pm »
Aw man I remember playing BG2 back in 2011. Those were some great days, I joined a couple of public LB's, and when I found out warband was a thing that August (along with MM) I quickly hopped ship :P
The 8th is not dead! Proud Colonel of the WWI and Blood and Iron/Verdun regiment 84th Infantrie d'regiment [both are recruiting. Add calicoyoda on Steam if you want to join either]

Offline Xeroth

• Donator
  • 3E GOD TIER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 07:59:20 pm »
January 22nd IronGuards/3e was born gg
A melee competant 6th Season NWL Champ
Karth are we still jealous of your reg?

Offline Superbad

• Ros the whore of Winterfell
  • Donator
  • Nothing gold can stay...
    • View Profile
  • Nick: SuperbadV
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 07:11:55 pm »
January 22nd IronGuards/3e was born gg

gg Xeroth...

Offline MaHuD

• Major
    • View Profile
    • Reveran
  • Nick: MaHuD
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 07:28:40 pm »
Nice history TRR.
I have but one comment though!

" In 2008, many clans I believe got bored of the limitations of The Battle Grounds 2, and thats when Vince got the idea of making a dedicated Line Battle Game based on the Warband Engine. Known as Mount and Musket. Once this game got released, it became as you all know WIDELY popular and many clans fled from The Battle Grounds 2 to Mount and Musket."

It wasn't Vince that got the idea, it was Beaver and Biteme. There was a third guy as well doing all history stuff but I have forgotten his name. :(
Vince joined the team and pretty much did a takeover a week before MM Waterloo was released or so.
Also, at first the mod was called Musket Madness but after what I think was the crashing of a storage device they lost their progress and remade & renamed it. (And sadly this is how we lost Banana Republica as a faction.)
[18:51] <Evanovic> Mahud can I nominate you for best villian 2013?

Offline MPC

• Captain
  • Lt. Col. of The Royal Recruits.
    • View Profile
    • The Royal Recruits Website
  • Nick: -[TRR]-LtCol-MPC
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2013, 08:27:46 pm »
Nice history TRR.
I have but one comment though!

" In 2008, many clans I believe got bored of the limitations of The Battle Grounds 2, and thats when Vince got the idea of making a dedicated Line Battle Game based on the Warband Engine. Known as Mount and Musket. Once this game got released, it became as you all know WIDELY popular and many clans fled from The Battle Grounds 2 to Mount and Musket."

It wasn't Vince that got the idea, it was Beaver and Biteme. There was a third guy as well doing all history stuff but I have forgotten his name. :(
Vince joined the team and pretty much did a takeover a week before MM Waterloo was released or so.
Also, at first the mod was called Musket Madness but after what I think was the crashing of a storage device they lost their progress and remade & renamed it. (And sadly this is how we lost Banana Republica as a faction.)

Thanks MaHud! I always thought it was Vince that came up with the idea. Thanks for informing me! I added it in my post.

Edit: I also added some more stuff about the 51st. When they first got founded by Stuka we helped them out with trainings by lending them our server and showed them the ropes of Line Battling, we were kinda close for a few weeks until the 51st got their own server, then we became rivals (This was back in BG2).
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 08:57:23 pm by MPC »
Veteran BG2 player. Member of the glorious "The Royal Recruits". Founders of LB game play back in BG 1 and 2

Want to own a bit of TRR? Check out our online shop! -> http://www.cafepress.com/mpcsphotographyshop/9754721

Offline Thundersnow

• Captain
  • Overlord of the 00th Regiment, Time and Space.
    • View Profile
    • www.PlanetThundersnow.com
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2013, 10:10:49 pm »
- Summer goes well, Jorge was hosting LB's with Thundersnow. The Super Secret Friday Linebattles.

That should be reworded to "Summer goes well, Jorge was co-hosting LB's with Thundersnow, splitting the load on two separate servers for a max of 400 attendees, lasting four months.  The Top Secret Friday Linebattles."

Much more impressive :) 

Offline bdd458

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2013, 11:10:07 pm »
Fixed thundersnow :)

Offline MaHuD

• Major
    • View Profile
    • Reveran
  • Nick: MaHuD
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2013, 12:51:51 am »
If someone wants to make a history-line, I would advise to not write anything about regiments at first.
Getting the common things first should be the best.

Examples for dates that I think should be included first;

Development start for Musket Madness
Closed Beta Events for Musket Madness
Start of Open beta
Open Beta events
Progress loss on Musket Madness
Announcement of Mount & Musket
Release of Mount & Musket Waterloo alongside a waterloo event
After the Waterloo event, for the first time the community saw many actual permanent regiments forming (Before there were hardly any regiments, Apart from the 22nd I don't think there was any)
MMPrussia release (I think there was an MMPrussia atleast :P )
MMRussia release
Start of the (EU) Official Monday Public Linebattle (Could be earlier though, Rudovich might know)
NW announcement
NW closed testing events
NW Trailer release
NW release
First Groupfighting server

I probably missed a whole bunch of events, but this is a quick over the top of my head and excluding any specific regiments.

[18:51] <Evanovic> Mahud can I nominate you for best villian 2013?

Offline Dark_Knight

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • [IVe]
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Talope
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2013, 01:18:16 am »
PLEASE help me to found the video of the last linebattle before NW on MMRussia. I wasn't really involved in that game atm but i remember IVe corps was there, 84e and 92nd too i guess. We did a huge line crossing the entire map, and family photos of all regs attending it...

Offline bdd458

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2013, 03:26:45 am »
The 8th King's Regiment of Foot History

Originally Posted on October 6th, 2013.
Last updated October 7th, 2013

8th King's Regiment of Foot Officers through the years
Spoiler
Tenure of officership shown in brackets
8th Col. Jorge [Aug. 2011 - Present]
8th Lt. Colonel Ortoga
8th Col. Snowball (When Jorge became Brig. General for a week)
8th Lt. Colonel Tico [Aug. 2011 - Nov. 2011]
8th Maj. Matt Novosad/IllumiantiRex [Sept. 2011 - Present]
8th Lt. Brock
8th Lt. Colonel Jay
8th Lt. Colonel Zero
8th Maj. Degotta
8th Lt. Brock
8th Col. Serbu (When Jorge became a Brig. General again for a week)
8th Cpt. Alken
[close]

8th King's Regiment of Foot Videos
Spoiler
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5nEia5m4g4[/youtube]
The 8th during one of 5arge's LB's back in October 2011.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRMA0nvtzXw[/youtube]
Recruitment video I made a long, long time ago for the 8th.
[close]

8th King's Regiment of Foot YouTube channels

8th King's Regiment of Foot Websites
Spoiler
The original 8th website made by Tico back in 2011
http://tony1996123.wix.com/8threg#!officer/nco-roster

The second 8th website made by Allday, rights handed over to Jorge.
http://8thregiment.enjin.com/
[close]

8th King's Regiment of Foot Timeline
Spoiler
- Last full Week of August 2011 the 8th was founded when Jorge left the 16th Kampfgruppe. He left with 7 other people for a total of 8 people :P. He left due to a member, who was basically a pet to the leader. Some of the people that left with him included Tico and Chester (77y Chester). Their first recruit was a man by the name of "McSpanky".

- The Friday of that week I joined the 8th.

- McSpanky left at the start of October.

- Chester asked the officers in early November about how they would feel about him leaving and what he was going to tell Jorge. I was one of those officers.

- When Chester did leave he took some members with him, even though he said he wasn't going to let them come with him.

- About a week or two later Tico gets mad at Jorge over a joke. Tico leaves and forms the 2ndQF.

- 8th hits a big slump because more members left with Tico.

- We bounce back, and by the summer of 2012 we're at our high point. We had a Cavalry Detachment, a Rifles Detachment, and an Arty Detachment.

- Summer goes well, Jorge was co-hosting LB's with Thundersnow, splitting the load on two separate servers for a max of 400 attendees, lasting four months.  The Top Secret Friday Linebattles.

- Jorge decides he doesn't want to host LB's for a while. Gets out of the Super Secret Friday LB's.

- We are starting to decline a bit because of school.

- November is a tough time. Problems that had been building up in the 8th come to a head. There is a negotiations of some sort, where people being discussed were not allowed in, although non-8th members had a say.

- 8th "Disbands". Jorge kept 12 people, and we changed our name to "The 12th" to prevent people getting mad at us for purging everyone.

- About a month later everyone figured out it was us. We switched our name back to the 8th.

- New recruitment standards were put in place.

- Everything went by pretty uneventfully for a while.

- Jorge started hosting a few events again.

- In August I started hosting a Saturday LB.
[close]
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 04:54:37 am by bdd458 »

Offline bdd458

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2013, 03:34:13 am »
If someone wants to make a history-line, I would advise to not write anything about regiments at first.
Getting the common things first should be the best.

Examples for dates that I think should be included first;

Development start for Musket Madness
Closed Beta Events for Musket Madness
Start of Open beta
Open Beta events
Progress loss on Musket Madness
Announcement of Mount & Musket
Release of Mount & Musket Waterloo alongside a waterloo event
After the Waterloo event, for the first time the community saw many actual permanent regiments forming (Before there were hardly any regiments, Apart from the 22nd I don't think there was any)
MMPrussia release (I think there was an MMPrussia atleast :P )
MMRussia release
Start of the (EU) Official Monday Public Linebattle (Could be earlier though, Rudovich might know)
NW announcement
NW closed testing events
NW Trailer release
NW release
First Groupfighting server

I probably missed a whole bunch of events, but this is a quick over the top of my head and excluding any specific regiments.
Sorry about the double post, but if anyone with all the dates for these, it would be awesome if you could put that together! It would have a nice fitting place in the OP.