Author Topic: High Water Mark American Civil War Mod (Suprise on page 46)  (Read 131436 times)

Offline HWM_Sharpe

• First Sergeant
  • General of the ANV
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: High Water Mark American Civil War Mod (Washington Artillery PG. 29)
« Reply #420 on: December 16, 2013, 11:11:41 pm »
Washington Artillery of New Orleans

The Washington Artillery was founded on September 7, 1838 as the Washington Artillery Company. It received its regimental flag in August 1846 after serving under Zachary Taylor in the Mexican–American War.
26 May 1861 the Unit was mustered into the American Civil War; four companies served in the Army of Northern Virginia and a fifth was in the Army of Tennessee. Elements of the Washington Artillery participated in over sixty major actions. A few notable engagements include: Battle of Antietam, Battle of Gettysburg, Battle of Shiloh, Battle of Chickamauga, Battle of Fredericksburg, First Battle of Manassas, and the Battle of Cold Harbor.

Report of Maj. B. F. Eshleman, Washington (Louisiana) Artillery.   for the action of Gettysburg.

Owing to the excessive heat, dry weather, and dust, the march was a severe one, but the endurance of the men and animals proved equal to the task arriving within about 3 miles of the battlefield on the 2nd of July. The artillery battalion known as the Washington Artillery of New Orleans companies 1 through 4 were moved to the Confederate army’s artillery park and waited orders.
   Just before dark they were given orders to move to the old school house but before reaching that point all combat had ceased. Again they were sent to orders to park where they waited for new orders which they would receive around midnight. Washington Artillery was ordered to the area of the peach orchard which on the second had seen a lot of heavy fighting due to Federal General Dan Sickles positioning of his corps.
   The Battalion consisted of eight Napoleons and two 12lb howitzers along with one capture 3 in ordnance rifle discover on the morning of the 3rd 200 yards in front of their position and with these guns participated in the largest artillery bombardment on the continent.  Many officers, gunners, cannoneers, and drivers of the Washington Artillery did their duty under heavy cannon and sharpshooter fire on that day. 1st company only having one gun at its disposal was attached to Captain Miller’s 3rd company with direction of the sole piece under Lt. Brown as Captain Squires was serving as a runner between the battalion commander and Army of Northern Virginia Artillery command.
   All totaled on the 3rd of July Washington Artillery lost 3 killed 26 wounded and 16 missing including Lt. Brown who was shot through the abdomen and was captured later on.  and a loss of 37 horses 3 guns and 1 limber.
   On the retreat from Gettysburg at Williamsport Maryland the Washington Artillery was instrumental in the blocking of the cavalry operations of Buford’s division against the long line of retreating confederate wagons. Expelling all ammo in the process.
After the Civil War, it was reorganized as an independent unit called the “Louisiana Volunteer Field Artillery” where it served the United States in the occupation of Cuba. It later was called into service to protect the Mexican border in 1916. A year later it received the designation 141st Artillery. It Still serves to this day.

Ranker
Spoiler
[close]
NCO
Spoiler
[close]
Officer
Spoiler
[close]
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 11:22:52 pm by HWM_Sharpe »

Offline Wismar

• Donator
  • Med Gud o' Sveas allmoge för Konung och Fosterland
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Radical
Re: High Water Mark American Civil War Mod (Washington Artillery pg. 29)
« Reply #421 on: December 16, 2013, 11:17:22 pm »
Looking good! Keep it up :)

Offline HWM_Sharpe

• First Sergeant
  • General of the ANV
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: December 16, 2013, 11:21:37 pm »
Things we are planning to do for artillery:
Cassions will deploy behind the guns and will be ride able. They will also be between the cannon and the horse.
4 different guns. 12lb smoothbore "Napoleon", Howitzer, 3 inch Ordinance gun, and 10lb parrot.
Each gun will have its positives and its negatives.
Napoleon and 10lb parrot will be extremely good at canister where as the 3 inch and howitzer will not be as good at canister.
The 3 inch gun will be very accurate. We currently have 3 different shell types. Round, Shell, and Canister. We are however trying to make the Shrapnel which is a airburst type of ammunition.

Offline kpetschulat

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Petschie
  • Side: Union
« Reply #423 on: December 17, 2013, 02:17:52 am »
Love the Washington artillery! But, if I may make a suggestion, add the guards contingent for the artillery. Just artillerists with muskets. Also, for the shrapnel shot, could you just tighten the canister spread, very much, so it's closer at further distances? It'll kind of simulate the medium range and the explosive/shrapnel rounds flying at enemy regiments.

Offline HWM_Sharpe

• First Sergeant
  • General of the ANV
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: December 17, 2013, 04:52:16 am »
Love the Washington artillery! But, if I may make a suggestion, add the guards contingent for the artillery. Just artillerists with muskets. Also, for the shrapnel shot, could you just tighten the canister spread, very much, so it's closer at further distances? It'll kind of simulate the medium range and the explosive/shrapnel rounds flying at enemy regiments.

As far as arty guards go our sappers will be able to pick the guard class who are armed with 1842 springfields. For the Shrapnel shot we think we might have a way of combining the current howitzer bomb and using timed fuse to make airburst a possibility. Our shell shot will have timed fuse and all the ammo will be available when we do a full release. As far as the beta we are going to be testing this so we can find a good balance for it. The only guns that will probably get it are the howitzer and parrot gun just simply for balance purposes but those guns will  be able to be selected for the historical unit that had them when possble.

Offline HWM_Sharpe

• First Sergeant
  • General of the ANV
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: December 17, 2013, 04:59:58 am »
Also difference between the light and normal artillery for each side. The union had this idea to make select batteries light artillery that would move faster and be able to fire faster. This for the most part did not work correctly. The Confederates heard about this idea and made it a joke.

The "Light artillery" by name for HWM is 1st Ohio Light Artillery and Lees Light Artillery. The reason I say in name is because Lees Light was armed with 10 and 20 pound parrot guns where as 1st Ohio was armed with napoleons and howitzers. The true light artillery for the Confederates is Washington Artillery due to what they are armed with. Cushings battery of artillery which will be previewed soon will be armed with the 3 inch and 10 pound parrot guns (historically they didn't have them but it balances out) and lees light will have the same. These will be our foot artillery and move slower when being moved where as the light will move much faster. So you get faster movement but less accuracy and very good canister for the light and vice versa for the foot.

Offline George385

• Donator
  • nah yeah nah nah yeah nah
    • View Profile
  • Nick: George385
« Reply #426 on: December 17, 2013, 07:13:38 am »
hmm, was hoping for the actual arty pieces but this is great guys! keep it up!

Offline HWM_Sharpe

• First Sergeant
  • General of the ANV
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: December 17, 2013, 08:58:07 am »
I will see what I can do about that. If they are 100% ready to show then I will put them up with the Union arty post. I know the napoleon is completely done and I think the 3 inch is to but don't quote me on that one.

Offline LucasAvis

• Second Lieutenant
  • To be True, You must first be Loyal.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Ser Lucas Avis
« Reply #428 on: December 18, 2013, 05:03:07 pm »
Very nice. Excellent Model too.

Good work on the textures Hoppa. I'll let your recent "away"ness slide :D
Oberst of the NR24 (NW)
Colonel of the 11th North Devonshire (AZ)
Colonel of the Devonshire Regiment (IE)
Colonel of the 1st South Carolina Rifles (BCF/WOR)

Offline Wismar

• Donator
  • Med Gud o' Sveas allmoge för Konung och Fosterland
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Radical
« Reply #429 on: December 20, 2013, 12:41:03 am »
Please make the arty horse move quicker!

Offline Rosas

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #430 on: December 20, 2013, 01:07:22 am »
Since I am just the humble modeler, I dont know a lot of what we are doing but I think the Light Artillery will be traveling faster than the Heavy one, not sure by how much but I personally hope a fair bit :P

and thank you LucasAvis for letting us keep him for a while he is our biggest asset :P

Offline George385

• Donator
  • nah yeah nah nah yeah nah
    • View Profile
  • Nick: George385
« Reply #431 on: December 20, 2013, 07:07:06 am »
I will see what I can do about that. If they are 100% ready to show then I will put them up with the Union arty post. I know the napoleon is completely done and I think the 3 inch is to but don't quote me on that one.

I just want to see a couple pieces. just to see how much detail you have put into them.

what are the cannon pieces you plan to put in? the 3 inch, the napoleon, any others?

Offline HWM_Sharpe

• First Sergeant
  • General of the ANV
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: December 20, 2013, 08:50:50 am »

I just want to see a couple pieces. just to see how much detail you have put into them.

what are the cannon pieces you plan to put in? the 3 inch, the napoleon, any others?

I should be able to show off the Napoleon later today I just need to get some good pics of it. I might be able to have the 3 inch photo as well. We plan on having the 12lb howitzer and 10 pound Parrot in addition and might add different guns later. I think we have found a really good balance between all the pieces with each unit having certain abilities and each gun being better at certain things. The napoleon will excel at canister and round but not being accurate, 3 inch being extremely accurate but being horrible at canister, Howitzer specializing in explosive shell shot, and the Parrot gun being just generally terrifying in all aspects but will take longer to deploy due its weight.

Offline Rosas

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #433 on: December 20, 2013, 01:22:44 pm »
Did someone say 12lb Napoleon?

m1857 12pounder (View in 3D)

This is still somewhat a work in progress, I will probably redo it at some point but for now I am content with how everything looks :I
also I'd like to state again the Worm and Ramrod are not made by us but reused from NW.

Model by me and the Texture by the lovely genius that is Ikhoppa
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 01:47:02 pm by Rosas »

Offline kpetschulat

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Petschie
  • Side: Union
« Reply #434 on: December 20, 2013, 02:16:20 pm »
That looks exactly like the Napoleon from North and South. I mean, everything about it does... Maybe, change the green wood to a darker brown or something. At least so there's a visible difference.