Author Topic: Comprehensive Python tutorials?  (Read 1065 times)

Offline Odysseus

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Comprehensive Python tutorials?
« on: August 13, 2013, 07:42:52 pm »
I've been trying to find some good Python tutorials but they all use fancy coding language that I don't understand. What are some good tutorials that I can look at with zero coding experience? Also, how much time a week should I devote to learning Python?

Offline El_Presidente

• Colonel
  • David
    • View Profile
Re: Comprehensive Python tutorials?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 10:18:57 pm »
Ah, you have come to join the dark side of programming. I don't find internet resources all too interesting, however, this book, was exemplary.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Python-Programming-Absolute-Beginner-Dawson/dp/1435455002/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1376425066&sr=8-1&keywords=python

The book teaches everything practical and also goes into game/UI development, simple Ai etc. Very good book. (Don't know where your from, probably sold everyone though). But if you don't want to buy then try the python wiki, that gets boring in 5 mins.

If you're desperate, here is a free list of terminology - courtesy of Presidente:

Spoiler
Parentheses - Brackets ()

Variable - A dynamic 'thing' that can be changed and used in programs, e.g.

x = 1

print(x)

^ Would return 1 in the command box thingi, x is the variable and can be changed:

x = 2

print(x)

^ Would now return two in the same script, as the variable, x, has been changed.

Function - Something that is called up say my function had the name 'bob' I'd use bob() to call the function and execute it.

Loop Statement - Loops continuously until broken

If statement - Obvious like above, if a condition is met then the following code will execute.

Psuedo-Code - A kind of sketch-like program that outlines what a program will do and how it will function.

Strings - Text, quite simply. If you try to do maths in python most stuff has to be converted from strings to intigers, which can quite easily be done e.g.:

x = input("Enter a number") # Whatever the user inserts will be considered a string.

x = int(x) #If the user didn't enter a number, this will cause the program to crash, this converts it to an intiger!

print(10+x)

^ RUN THAT SHIT AND WATCH THE MAGIC HAPPEN

[close]

In terms of number of times a week... meh idk. Programming gets pretty boring unless you achieve something. For example when I finally made a working menu for my game I was elated, even though I didn't have the skill to make the game itself. Most of the time I just open up the python editor and start messing around with intigers lol randomly. I stop programming for lon periods of time, but I learn more and more when I pick it up again. So my knowledge of python is increasing albeit slowly  :P.

If you don't want to use a book or read a wiki though, try these if you haven't already.

Spoiler
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Mf0h3HphEA[/youtube]
[close]
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 12:08:51 am by El_Presidente »

Offline Odysseus

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 11:40:58 pm »
Thank you, that was very helpful. I think I'll pick up that book when I return from my 10 day trip. I've had no luck with Internet tutorials so hopefully this will help!

Offline El_Presidente

• Colonel
  • David
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 12:09:06 am »
Good, good you chose the right option....

Offline Desert Thunda

• Colonel
  • u wish u knew
    • View Profile
  • Nick: K-KA_Commissar_DesertThunda
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 09:50:18 pm »
Pres you can has a + rep.