Poll

Do you think saber briquets should do more damage?

Yes.
No.
No but make them faster.

Author Topic: A point on bayonets and shortswords/saber-briquets  (Read 16210 times)

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: A point on bayonets and shortswords/saber-briquets
« Reply #60 on: August 16, 2013, 08:24:35 pm »
My re-enacting group uses 1796 Light cavalry sabres. These are replicas and weight about 2.6 pounds, and it's fairly badly balanced. Yet, even on foot it's with relative ease the sabre can be used for feinting, swinging and stabbing, and you have to remember that in mounted combat the speed and weight of your horse adds to that ease (And as light cav, you are supposed to swing a lot). Even I, whose not that strong, can handle it. And then you have to remember these men practiced hours a day.

Infantry officers used straight epees or expensive, well-balanced light sabres. I once held an original epee from a Batavian officer, and it's almost as if the blade's made of air.

Offline Desert Thunda

• Colonel
  • u wish u knew
    • View Profile
  • Nick: K-KA_Commissar_DesertThunda
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #61 on: August 16, 2013, 08:26:52 pm »
The effectiveness of a weapon depends on the skill of the wielder and his experience with it. A man with a Saber-Briquet can kill a unexperienced man with a bayonetted musket, just thought I should share that theory.

Right....

Take a bayonet and go up against Silentman with a heavy cavalry sabre and see how well you do. People who are good at melee know how to abuse that ridiculous sword feint speed. Anyone who doesn't is easily killed. You don't even need to try with it, you can just feint spam everyone to death and the only chance you have of dieing is if you get ganged, shot, or your own bad melee skills.

Again, I don't expect anything to change. I'm just sharing my thoughts.

You know after a long time you start getting used to the feinting to a part where you can expect when it is a real attack or not.

Offline Dionysus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Dionysus
« Reply #62 on: August 16, 2013, 08:28:23 pm »
The effectiveness of a weapon depends on the skill of the wielder and his experience with it. A man with a Saber-Briquet can kill a unexperienced man with a bayonetted musket, just thought I should share that theory.

Right....

Take a bayonet and go up against Silentman with a heavy cavalry sabre and see how well you do. People who are good at melee know how to abuse that ridiculous sword feint speed. Anyone who doesn't is easily killed. You don't even need to try with it, you can just feint spam everyone to death and the only chance you have of dieing is if you get ganged, shot, or your own bad melee skills.

Again, I don't expect anything to change. I'm just sharing my thoughts.

You know after a long time you start getting used to the feinting to a part where you can expect when it is a real attack or not.

Oh boy, somebody who thinks they are a melee god. Again, go do the challenge and get your ass kicked.

Edit: I'm not trying to be insulting, I'm just explaining how much of an advantage good melee players have when using cavalry swords rather than bayonets.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 08:32:44 pm by Dionysus »

Offline Desert Thunda

• Colonel
  • u wish u knew
    • View Profile
  • Nick: K-KA_Commissar_DesertThunda
« Reply #63 on: August 16, 2013, 08:39:15 pm »
Its alright, but I am being serious, many fient spammers are easy to take out if you you have been playing long enough and know how exactly to deal with them, and no, I know for a fact that I am not good with my constant 140 ping.

And maybe thats a good thing, I mean, the sword is disadvantageous in terms of speed and damage, most of the time taking 2-3 attacks to take out an opponent while the bayonet takes 1 and sometimes 2, rarely 3.

Offline Dionysus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 16, 2013, 08:44:15 pm »
Its alright, but I am being serious, many fient spammers are easy to take out if you you have been playing long enough and know how exactly to deal with them, and no, I know for a fact that I am not good with my constant 140 ping.

And maybe thats a good thing, I mean, the sword is disadvantageous in terms of speed and damage, most of the time taking 2-3 attacks to take out an opponent while the bayonet takes 1 and sometimes 2, rarely 3.

With a sword I can be cheap and feint spam, and when I get that first hit, I can just continuously hit them so fast that they keep getting stunned until death. Bayonets down stab is too slow to do this more than once. Partly because the bayonet stabs will throw them backwards on hit. Swords are more fluid and you can chain those attacks together a little too quickly.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 08:50:58 pm by Dionysus »

Offline KillerMongoose

• Major
  • "And I believe I have cut your throat"- Fiore
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Wryngwyrm
« Reply #65 on: August 16, 2013, 08:53:20 pm »
This is not a discussion about sword-feinting speed, please make your own topic if you wish to discuss sword feinting

Offline Dionysus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 16, 2013, 08:54:25 pm »
This is not a discussion about sword-feinting speed, please make your own topic if you wish to discuss sword feinting

Sorry last time I fucking checked briquets are swords. Don't have anything relevant to the topic then get the fuck out please?

Offline KillerMongoose

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 16, 2013, 08:55:26 pm »
This is my thread jackass and it's about saber briquet's needing to be more powerful, not swords and their feinting speed.

Offline Dionysus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 16, 2013, 08:57:06 pm »
This is my thread jackass and it's about saber briquet's needing to be more powerful, not swords and their feinting speed.

So just because its your thread "jackass" doesn't mean you can spam with non-relevant shit like this. That poll is pretty funny then "No but make them faster." You're a fucking idiot.

Offline Allasaphore

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 16, 2013, 08:59:33 pm »
Some points to be made.

1. Zweihanders weighed on average 2-3kg, this is about 4 to 6 pounds. Zweihanders above 3kg were considered ceremonial unless you're Grutte Pier

2. If we were to include fatigue then everybody could only run for a while, fight for a little while, and horses could only run for a little while. If we were to include the fatigue of swinging a 2lb saber then we should include the fatigue of thrusting a 12 pound musket. It would be a mess to include fatigue for everybody.

3. The topic at hand is the need for a buff to saber briquets, which they do deserve.

Yes, the Zweihanders used in combat rarely exceeded 8 pounds, and the 14 pound individual was indeed a ceremonial one. The point of the matter is that if you want to weaken a cavalry sabre and reduce their speed, you may as well give me a Zweihander.

On the matter of the sabre briquet, a speed buff could easily be argued. Fatigue aside, it is far more maneuverable than a bayonet, from my personal experiences in the real world, at least. lol

Offline Dionysus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 16, 2013, 09:00:24 pm »
Some points to be made.

1. Zweihanders weighed on average 2-3kg, this is about 4 to 6 pounds. Zweihanders above 3kg were considered ceremonial unless you're Grutte Pier

2. If we were to include fatigue then everybody could only run for a while, fight for a little while, and horses could only run for a little while. If we were to include the fatigue of swinging a 2lb saber then we should include the fatigue of thrusting a 12 pound musket. It would be a mess to include fatigue for everybody.

3. The topic at hand is the need for a buff to saber briquets, which they do deserve.

Yes, the Zweihanders used in combat rarely exceeded 8 pounds, and the 14 pound individual was indeed a ceremonial one. The point of the matter is that if you want to weaken a cavalry sabre and reduce their speed, you may as well give me a Zweihander.

On the matter of the sabre briquet, a speed buff could easily be argued. Fatigue aside, it is far more maneuverable than a bayonet, from my personal experiences in the real world, at least. lol

I think just the speed needs to be slowed down on cavalry sabres, they can even be more powerful if you wish.

Offline KillerMongoose

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 16, 2013, 09:02:03 pm »
Non-relevant? I'm trying to reel the thread back on topic, we're talking about saber briquets, not the feinting speed of cavalry sabers.

Offline Dionysus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 16, 2013, 09:03:08 pm »
Non-relevant? I'm trying to reel the thread back on topic, we're talking about saber briquets, not the feinting speed of cavalry sabers.

I think briquets should be increased both in damage and in speed to compensate for length.

Offline Maroon

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Maroon
« Reply #73 on: August 17, 2013, 12:27:39 am »
... doesn't mean you can spam with non-relevant shit like this.

Sigh...

Spoiler
Oh boy, somebody who thinks they are a melee god.

You are mentally insane or extremely unintelligent if you think those giant cavalry cleavers weigh 3 pounds.

Don't make excuses for blowing at sword combat
[close]

I'm reminded of a certain pot and kettle here.

Offline Dionysus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 17, 2013, 12:35:11 am »
... doesn't mean you can spam with non-relevant shit like this.

Sigh...

Spoiler
Oh boy, somebody who thinks they are a melee god.

You are mentally insane or extremely unintelligent if you think those giant cavalry cleavers weigh 3 pounds.

Don't make excuses for blowing at sword combat
[close]

I'm reminded of a certain pot and kettle here.

Lmao, so instead of keeping on track like we just got back too, you bring it off. Good job retard.