Author Topic: Koninklijke Nederlandse Landmacht  (Read 9563 times)

Offline KillerMongoose

• Major
  • "And I believe I have cut your throat"- Fiore
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Wryngwyrm
  • Side: Neutral
Koninklijke Nederlandse Landmacht
« on: August 08, 2013, 10:25:48 pm »
K O N I N K L I J K E   N E D E R L A N D S E   L A N D M A C H T

H I S T O R Y
The Dutch Army at Quatre Bras and Waterloo

The Bijlandt Brigade
The Bijlandt Infantry Brigade fought hard at Waterloo, where units such as the 27th Jager Battalion and the 7th Line Battalion were heavily engaged by the French and were crucial in securing a victory at Waterloo. The 7th Line even saved the Prince of Orange from French Chasseurs-a-Cheval, earning many battle honors for their daring rescue. The Next day at Waterloo, the already exhausted and undersized brigade bore the assault of the largest French infantry column to attack the Allied center, the division of Donzelot. Despite the odds, the Bijlandt Brigade fought the French in an extended and effective firefight, halting the French advance and fighting fiercely to throw them back. The Bijlandt Brigade was deployed further ahead than any of the other Allied brigades and so was subject  to the full weight of the French infantry and artillery. Seeing the lack of support on either side, the brigade withdrew to a position closer to their allies and carried on the fight. The Bijlandt brigade was lead personally by the Prince of Orange himself in several charges and counter-attacks which effectively pushed the French infantry back several times. At one point in the battle the Bijlandt Brigade advanced, pursuing the French all the way to the bottom of the famous ridge until they ran out of ammunition and had to withdraw.

Chasse's Third Netherlands Division
The Third Netherlands Infantry Division was kept out of the fighting for much of the battle because of Wellington's obvious mistrust of Chasse and the Dutch-Belgian troops as a whole. This is because many of the Dutch-Belgian soldiers were veterans of the French military and Chasse himself had faced off with Wellington many times in Spain. But when Wellington gave the order for the "General Advance" Chasse, who was known as "General Bayonet" by his fellow officers, seize the opportunity and bayonet charged the French Old Guard, completely breaking and routing them. British accounts claim that the Old Guard was already defeated by the time Chasse's division made its attack however the British brigades engaging the Old Guard had been shattered by their attack. With drums and fifes roaring the division attacked and sent the Old Guard fleeing. The Pride of the French Military was shattered by the Dutch-Belgians.

Ghigny's Brigade
Major-General Ghigny's Brigade of Light Cavalry, comprised of the 4th Dutch Light Dragoons and the 8th Belgian Hussars, is perhaps one of the most heavily engaged units of light cavalry of the entire Allied army. Throughout the battle, Ghigny acted on his own initiative to counter-charge and throw back several French cuirassier and lancer attacks. Each of these actions was a resounding success and in one engagement, the brigade counter-charged the French lancers who were slaughtering the retreating British Union Brigade. In the words of eye witnesses, the 8th Belgian Hussars (who comprised the front of the charge) fought with "insane gallantry."

Tripp's Brigade
Major-General Tripp's Brigade of Heavy Cavalry, comprised of the 1st (Dutch), 2nd (Belgian), and 3rd (Dutch) Carabinier regiments, was sent into action to counter-charge the French cuirassiers during Marshal Ney's massive cavalry attack. After the near complete annihilation of all British heavy cavalry brigades, Tripp's Brigade was the largest remaining force of Allied heavy cavalry. During Ney's cavalry attack, Major-General Tripp charged his brigade into the left flank of the French cuirassiers, utterly shattering them and majorly contributing to the destruction of the French cavalry attack. The 2nd Belgian Carabiniers were led personally by the Prince of Orange in a charge that routed and pursued the French cavalry off the field entirely. It was late in the battle and he rallied the tired cavalrymen by waving his sword and shouting "Come my comrades, let us put our sabers to these Frenchmen! The Victory is ours!"

Merlen's Brigade
Merlen's Light Cavalry Brigade, which was made up of the 5th Belgian Light Dragoons and the 6th Dutch Hussars, was not so heavily engaged at Waterloo, but in the days before Waterloo they had captured several French patrols and cavalry units during skirmishes at at the border. But because the British government had declared war on Napoleon and not on France, Wellington ordered that Merlen's Brigade release all of the men it had captured. The Prince of Orange grudgingly did so and sent Wellington a very politely worded letter. Making sure he clarified that the order to release the enemy prisoners had been Wellington's desire, not his own.

Bijladnt's Brigade makes its stand

Chasse's Division on the Attack

Ghigny's Brigade charges the French

Belgian Carabiniers charge the French cuirassiers

R E G I M E N T S
Various Uniforms
[close]

36ste Belgische Jager Bataljon
Thread: https://www.fsegames.eu/forum/index.php?topic=7292.0
Role: Skirmishers / Light Infantry
Current Strength: 22 (4 Officers / 18 Enlisted)
Tags: -36ste-rank-name-

8ste Nederlandse Bataljon Van Linie
Thread: https://www.fsegames.eu/forum/index.php?topic=2726.0
Role: Line Infantry
Current Strength: 10 (1 Officer / 9 Enlisted)
Tags: [8ste]rank_name

1er Bataillon d'Infanterie Belge
Thread: https://www.fsegames.eu/forum/index.php?topic=4653.0
Role: Line Infantry
Current Strength: 22 (1 Officer / 21 Enlisted)
Tags: 1erBelge_rank_name

A P P L I C A T I O N   F O R M A T
Code
[b]Regiment Name:[/b]
[b]Role:[/b]
[b]Current Strength:[/b]
[b]Based:[/b]
[b]Tags:[/b]
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 06:58:50 pm by KillerMongoose »

Offline Burakkuada

• First Lieutenant
  • Vince - Unban Tavington.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 17e_WookieeBurak
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: Koninklijke Nederlandse Landmacht
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 10:27:32 pm »
Nice thread, Good luck with it

Offline Nono

• Colonel
  • Eddie's smurf
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Nono
  • Side: Union
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 11:35:57 pm »
Good luck.  ;)

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 11:36:45 pm »
Oi, Van Merlen's brigade was engaged at Quatre-bras too! (And defeated). And at Waterloo it supported the retreat of the British cav, catched some cannonballs, charged some cuirassiers, catched some cannonballs and then ceased to exist.

No, not due to catching cannonballs. Van Merlen got shot and killed, leaving the Brigade in command to Boreel who was Dutch (Oh, and incompetenent), so De Merxs (Or whatever his name was) of the 5th Light dragoons refused to follow his orders and went on his merry way to join up with Ghighy. Boreel was left with 300 of his hussars and joined up with Chassé. They supported and protected the horse artillery, but there's no report of a charge - even due a few men recieved bayonetwounds. We'll never know, I guess.

ORANJE BOVEN! VIVE LE ROI!

Offline Hawke

• Donator
  • Aquila non capit muscas.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Hawke
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 11:37:57 pm »
So this is what I had to edit that channel for.

Offline Jorvasker

• Donator
  • 33rd_Fus_Jorvasker
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Jorvasker
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 11:38:53 pm »
Good Luck!

Regiment History:
Filthy Casual Publorde from May 2011 - Mid July 2012 / Early Services from July - November 2012, including 33rd, 63e, 1stCI / 1stFKI - November 2012 - April 2013 / Break from April 2013 - July 2013, with a short return to 63e from June until July / 1stEPI - July 2013 - January 2016 (Retired from game)

Offline KillerMongoose

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 11:56:50 pm »
Oi, Van Merlen's brigade was engaged at Quatre-bras too! (And defeated). And at Waterloo it supported the retreat of the British cav, catched some cannonballs, charged some cuirassiers, catched some cannonballs and then ceased to exist.

No, not due to catching cannonballs. Van Merlen got shot and killed, leaving the Brigade in command to Boreel who was Dutch (Oh, and incompetenent), so De Merxs (Or whatever his name was) of the 5th Light dragoons refused to follow his orders and went on his merry way to join up with Ghighy. Boreel was left with 300 of his hussars and joined up with Chassé. They supported and protected the horse artillery, but there's no report of a charge - even due a few men recieved bayonetwounds. We'll never know, I guess.

At what point did the 5th light dragoons join up with Ghigny? Was it before or after their grand charge on the lancers?

Offline Odysseus

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2013, 12:04:58 am »
Many g'lucks to you!

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2013, 12:12:44 am »

At what point did the 5th light dragoons join up with Ghigny? Was it before or after their grand charge on the lancers?

Oh, far after. Van Merlen was still alive and well at that point and had taken his brigade a few hundred yards beyond the line to act as back-up to the charging brigades. He was shot (By a cannonball!) late in the battle - I believe it was reporting as being after night, so that means after six.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 12:15:10 am by Duuring »

Offline Windbusche

• Donator
  • American Vocabulary Trooper
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Windbusche
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2013, 01:06:52 am »
... Does this mean I have THE WAFFLEBORN in my Teamspeak?

Offline MrSt3fan

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 33rd_Col_MrSt3fan
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2013, 01:21:35 am »
Succes ! Het is weer eens iets anders

Offline Furrnox

• Lieutenant General
  • Eternally incorrect, centre-left, asshole.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2013, 01:29:08 am »
Good luck dudes.

Offline KillerMongoose

• Major
    • View Profile

Offline Windbusche

• Donator
  • American Vocabulary Trooper
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Windbusche
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2013, 01:33:13 am »
Yes indeed :P
I am honored.

Best of luck, gent.

Offline Emperor Napoleon

• Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 1erMar/IrishNap
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2013, 11:02:07 am »
Best of luck. Nice to have a Dutch Brigade around!