Author Topic: Game of Thrones thread (USE SPOILERS)  (Read 283627 times)

Offline Audiate

• World's Worst
  • Major General
  • FREEZE, PUNK!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: the mic rula; the old schoola
  • Side: Union
Re: Game of Thrones thread (USE SPOILERS)
« Reply #1725 on: June 11, 2016, 06:53:24 pm »
GRRM has said multiple times that his stories are about people. And treating the sexuality of a person as a characteristic, as Duuring said quite well, is wrong--as in incorrect. You could say Charlemagne was emotional (just a random example), but if you portrayed him in a movie or TV series as homosexual when he actually wasn't just to portray that he was an emotional person, that would just be fucked up.

Asha was straight from every indication in the books, and her "fucking who she wants" mentality did not extend into the other sex just to make her look more manly or rebellious. If you're a straight woman, you fuck guys, if you're a lesbian, you fuck women. They changed her sexuality as if it portrayed her as more manly because she's a leader of men, and that's what's wrong here.

I thought perhaps the actress was a lesbian and she potentially requested it, but if she let her character's brother's actor fake finger her on a horse, she could probably have put up with other shit with men, and if that's the case the directors/writers intentionally made her a lesbian to accent her... character... and again, that's what's wrong. I thought this was common sense but I guess you guys are all thinking with your boners.

Offline Conway

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 41stNY_Whatever_Conway
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #1726 on: June 11, 2016, 07:00:09 pm »
Shes not lesbian shes just bi, I mean are you telling me Cersei if a lesbian after that Lady Merryweather scene in the books? I mean what the fuck did that scene do for Cersei as a character? It was literally just her discovering that she couldn't fuck people like a man.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #1727 on: June 11, 2016, 07:48:41 pm »
Shes not lesbian shes just bi, I mean are you telling me Cersei if a lesbian after that Lady Merryweather scene in the books? I mean what the fuck did that scene do for Cersei as a character? It was literally just her discovering that she couldn't fuck people like a man.

Yara/Asha is never soon to have any form of sexual desires or relationships in the TV-series (Well apart from Theon hurdurdur). Her sexual promiscuinity (with men) is quite on the foreground in the books.

It really looks like they made her lesbian (or bisexual) in the TV-series just to stick to stereotypes and gender roles, which isn't just bad storytelling, it's (I'm gonna say this again and again) sexist as fuck. It also pisses me of because, as a homosexual man, I keep having to explain to people that being gay does not define my character or behavior. Then this scene happens, and everybody is like "Oh naturally, they just make her lesbian to show she is strong/indepedent/doesn't give fucks". That reaction shows exactly what is wrong with it.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 07:51:47 pm by Duuring »

Offline Hadhod

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 92nd_Lt_John_MacKintosh
« Reply #1728 on: June 11, 2016, 07:56:04 pm »
Plizz don't gay  8)

Offline Conway

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 41stNY_Whatever_Conway
« Reply #1729 on: June 11, 2016, 07:59:08 pm »

Yara/Asha is never soon to have any form of sexual desires or relationships in the TV-series (Well apart from Theon hurdurdur). Her sexual promiscuinity (with men) is quite on the foreground in the books.

It really looks like they made her lesbian (or bisexual) in the TV-series just to stick to stereotypes and gender roles, which isn't just bad storytelling, it's (I'm gonna say this again and again) sexist as fuck. It also pisses me of because, as a homosexual man, I keep having to explain to people that being gay does not define my character or behavior. Then this scene happens, and everybody is like "Oh naturally, they just make her lesbian to show she is strong/indepedent/doesn't give fucks". That reaction shows exactly what is wrong with it.
The important thing is that she is open about it and gives no shits about others seeing shes into women. There are gay people in the show such a Loras and Renly but they are very secretive about it as well, you see what happened when they found out about Loras. Homosexuality is treated very differently in the world of GoT and so her being open about it does actually mean that she gives no fucks.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #1730 on: June 11, 2016, 08:12:14 pm »
It's a medieval society. Sexuality itself is frowned upon, so no, that is no excuse. And once again, there are THOUSANDS of ways one can show a character being cool without making her lesbian. And it's not the lesbian-ness actually that makes her tough, it's the way she behaves; and that could just as easily being shown by her handling a manwhore. But fuck that, don't question the gender roles.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 08:13:48 pm by Duuring »

Offline BabyJesus

• General
  • #1 Cringe poster and lover of Anna Kendrick
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Most Average MVP of All Time
« Reply #1731 on: June 11, 2016, 08:20:26 pm »
"Muh sexism"
1st NWPC S2(21st)|(1st) 5v5 Draft~NA GroupFighting Tournament  |1st♕Rex's 6v6 Tournament | 1st TNWL S2(71st) | 1st NWL S5 (58e) | 3rd place Sleeks 5v5 (Highschoole DxD)
You are by far the best average player to touch this game.
Quote from: Risk
The BEST average player of all time

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: June 11, 2016, 08:23:15 pm »
It is sexism.

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: June 11, 2016, 09:42:01 pm »
Daenarys isn't a lesbian Cersei isn't a lesbian, Margery isn't a lesbian

I think you're taking this to seriously.

Dany and cersei both have lesbian encounters in the books, and anyway, it's not like a character has to make a big show of being queer for it to be so, like who cares if it was sprung on us that Ahsa is gay? Doesn't change much and I think it adds some depth to the world that her men know she's lesbian but still repsect her as a leader.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 09:45:19 pm by Nipplestockings »

Offline Windflower

• General
  • ex PSG, 30th
    • View Profile
    • my jam
« Reply #1734 on: June 11, 2016, 09:46:33 pm »

NAPL season 1 saw the greatest regiment winning
ribbit 🐸 cute? 😳 im not cute 😓 i mean my parents 👨‍👩‍👧 call me cute ☺️ but honestly 👉👈 ive never ❌ heard it 👂 from someone else 🗣 before 🥰 thanks i guess? 😳

Offline Audiate

• World's Worst
  • Major General
  • FREEZE, PUNK!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1735 on: June 11, 2016, 11:48:56 pm »
I like this "well Danny and Cersei had 'lesbian times'" argument because it proves again that people don't realize the problem and are just looking at it as sex.

Danny's "encounter" was at an age where people can often have doubts on their sexuality, and is most when you can expect someone to be bicurious, starting as early as the beginning of puberty and up to their late teens or early twenties. Her "encounter" also had a literary purpose; it marked a time where her life became less dominated by men, when her brother and her husband were no longer in charge of her, and when she could decide what exactly she wanted to do in her life. In the end, she decided she could be the strong ruler and the bottom in bed, or top, or however she rolls most of the time.

In the case of Cersei, it's said multiple times that she controls people with her sexuality. It's said by Tyrion that her greatest weapon is her cunt, or something along those lines. She has her "encounter" when she's beginning to doubt if she'll stay queen, and begins to fear the prettier queen to come in her prophecy. She realizes that her greatest weapon, the tool she's used to control men for years, would not be able to easily dominate someone like Margaery.

Now, in the case of Yara, what exactly does it mark? Was someone suppressing her sexuality in the Iron Islands and arriving in Volantis let her break away? Then why stay in the Iron Islands? Doesn't she do what she wants? That just makes no sense. I hope you all realize a truly or predominantly straight person will not have sex with someone of the same sex "just because they can and because they do what they want." They would have to want to in order to do it, and if they don't want to, they clearly don't do what they want. So, the show made her a lesbian (or bi), to prove... absolutely nothing. No matter how I would word what they did, it ultimately comes out to "it was sexist," or homophobic in the sense of ignorance of how homosexuals are.

God this anti-argument is cancer. Open your eyes, sheeple. Accept that it's on the spectrum of wrong.

Offline Windflower

• General
  • ex PSG, 30th
    • View Profile
    • my jam
« Reply #1736 on: June 11, 2016, 11:52:01 pm »
UGH HBO IS SEXIST AND RACIST AND FUCKING TRIGGERING ME, THEY ARE SO STUPID WAKE UP, MEN ARE CONTROLLING THIOS WORldD >:(

NAPL season 1 saw the greatest regiment winning
ribbit 🐸 cute? 😳 im not cute 😓 i mean my parents 👨‍👩‍👧 call me cute ☺️ but honestly 👉👈 ive never ❌ heard it 👂 from someone else 🗣 before 🥰 thanks i guess? 😳

Offline Audiate

• World's Worst
  • Major General
  • FREEZE, PUNK!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1737 on: June 11, 2016, 11:53:44 pm »
UGH HBO IS SEXIST AND RACIST AND FUCKING TRIGGERING ME, THEY ARE SO STUPID WAKE UP, MEN ARE CONTROLLING THIOS WORldD >:(

shut up fag youre actually not funny at all

Offline Furrnox

• Lieutenant General
  • Eternally incorrect, centre-left, asshole.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1738 on: June 11, 2016, 11:56:07 pm »
I like this "well Danny and Cersei had 'lesbian times'" argument because it proves again that people don't realize the problem and are just looking at it as sex.

Danny's "encounter" was at an age where people can often have doubts on their sexuality, and is most when you can expect someone to be bicurious, starting as early as the beginning of puberty and up to their late teens or early twenties. Her "encounter" also had a literary purpose; it marked a time where her life became less dominated by men, when her brother and her husband were no longer in charge of her, and when she could decide what exactly she wanted to do in her life. In the end, she decided she could be the strong ruler and the bottom in bed, or top, or however she rolls most of the time.

In the case of Cersei, it's said multiple times that she controls people with her sexuality. It's said by Tyrion that her greatest weapon is her cunt, or something along those lines. She has her "encounter" when she's beginning to doubt if she'll stay queen, and begins to fear the prettier queen to come in her prophecy. She realizes that her greatest weapon, the tool she's used to control men for years, would not be able to easily dominate someone like Margaery.

Now, in the case of Yara, what exactly does it mark? Was someone suppressing her sexuality in the Iron Islands and arriving in Volantis let her break away? Then why stay in the Iron Islands? Doesn't she do what she wants? That just makes no sense. I hope you all realize a truly or predominantly straight person will not have sex with someone of the same sex "just because they can and because they do what they want." They would have to want to in order to do it, and if they don't want to, they clearly don't do what they want. So, the show made her a lesbian (or bi), to prove... absolutely nothing. No matter how I would word what they did, it ultimately comes out to "it was sexist," or homophobic in the sense of ignorance of how homosexuals are.

God this anti-argument is cancer. Open your eyes, sheeple. Accept that it's on the spectrum of wrong.

IT JUST WAS SEX THEY WHERE AT A FUCKING WHORE HOUSE! WHO CARES??  #Trigger #TRIGGER

Offline John Price

• Block guys what is this!?
  • General
  • Destroyer of RGL
    • View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: June 11, 2016, 11:56:51 pm »
People don't realise the problem because they don't care.
Knightmare is from Albania, no?
Sorry, I can't accept this team.