Author Topic: Most elite fighting forces of history From the beginning of time-19th Century  (Read 29186 times)

Offline Cody the Awesome

• Private
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Pulk_sibirskii_Efr_Cody
  • Side: Neutral
the best soliders ever duhduhdaaaaaa the almighty, the freaking awesome, the supreme gurus of awesomness, the partizani.
ex-colonel of the 51st Regiment of light foot
(2nd yorkshire west riding)

Offline The_Dane

• Corporal
  • NW Official Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: The_Dane
The Danish Light Dragoons in 1813  8)

Even Davout himself said that they were some of the best cavalry he has ever seen, and that he would want to march with them as much as French veterans. Means a lot when it comes from him.
Gief cookies plox

Offline KillerMongoose

• Major
  • "And I believe I have cut your throat"- Fiore
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Wryngwyrm
Theban Hoplites. Yes shocking right? I didn't say Spartans!? HERESY! Anyway, I say the Thebans because they decisively beat the Spartans and Athenians (sometimes both of them combined) repeatedly. If you haven't figured it out for yourself yet, the phalanx is a very rigid and inflexible formation that is designed to essentially steamroll your enemies with an impenetrable bronze and wood wall of ass-fucking. But as I said above, it's a very inflexible formation that easily allows you to be outmaneuvered if you're not a smart general or if the formation breaks up even just a little due to rough terrain or whatnot (see the Battle of Pydna for an example) Traditionally, hoplite formations had the most elite men on the right flank, including the commander. But Theban commanders would - in a bold move - place the bulk of their units as well as their elite units on the left flank and the Sacred Band (A handpicked troop of 300 of the most elite, badasses in Thebes who are totally dtf and cool with man on man with each other) would smash through the enemies best troops and kill their leader, breaking morale with a bronze-plated fist of gay pride. The Thebans once scared off an entire Spartan army by standing still and looking at them. True story. The Thebans would essentially cut off the head of the snake with their tactics, immediately killing off the enemy leader as well as their elite units. And also, the Thebans made very good use of light infantry, cavalry, and skirmishers. Using them not only to break enemy infantry but to harass enemy movements and provide support to the Theban right flank since the bulk of its force was on the left.

Offline Rogov

• Second Lieutenant
  • Moose are cool.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 19te_Hsr_Ofr_Rogov
Breaking morale with a bronze-plated fist of gay pride.
Quote of the year. ;D

Nothing like fighting side by side with your lover(s) to keep morale up! I'd totally forgotten about them.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
Breaking morale with a bronze-plated fist of gay pride.
Quote of the year. ;D

Nothing like fighting side by side with your lover(s) to keep morale up! I'd totally forgotten about them.

Which is, in fact, exactly why they were couples.  I mean, you won't betray a friend, but you'd die for your lover :D

Offline KillerMongoose

• Major
  • "And I believe I have cut your throat"- Fiore
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Wryngwyrm
Exactly, outnumbered and surrounded, all 300 of the Sacred Band fought to the death against Phillip of Macedon's army in a heroic last stand. The army of lovers fought to the last man without hesitation.

Offline König

• Major
  • A major König
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Koenig
  • Side: Confederacy
I don't trust anything but pizza from a pizza place.

Offline Frederickson

• First Lieutenant
  • "La Garde meurt, mais ne se rend pas."
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 2de_Lt_Frederickson
Druzhina - Body guards of medieval russian (Rurikian) princes

Prussian Grenadiers of the Seven Years War

Garde Imperiale

5te SS Panzer Division "Wiking" (Served with distinction on the eastern front.)

JTF2 (Joint Task Force 2 - Canadian Special Forces) (don't even laugh they do one fucking hell of a job...)

Russian VDV (Airborne)

Offline Venom

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
i would have to go for the 2nd SS das Reich in ww2 but in napoleonic era im gonna go with the old guard

Offline Augy

• Major General
  • Anarchist. Absurdist. Existentialist. Man. Human.
    • View Profile
    • The Royal Recruits
  • Nick: -[TRR]- Cpt. Augy
The Vietcong - Being in almost contant war since the 40s, they managed to succesfully eject the Japanese and French from Vietnam.
After that they quite brilliantly fought the Americans, using many of the ancient strategems of Sun Tzu, in the end they had their victory through attrition and by influencing American public opinion of the war.

They weren't exactly elite but they persevered and did the best they could.
“Ego is a structure that is erected by a neurotic individual who is a member of a neurotic culture against the facts of the matter. And culture, which we put on like an overcoat, is the collectivized consensus about what sort of neurotic behaviors are acceptable.” -Terence McKenna

Offline Mad_man1

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
1er régiment de parachutistes d'infanterie de marine

Marine paratroopers French army SAS

Offline Tali

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Spoiler
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rAHrHd2lcw[/youtube]
[close]

Is that the russian version of this?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a0ORdQU[/youtube]

Offline Wismar

• Donator
  • Med Gud o' Sveas allmoge för Konung och Fosterland
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Radical
Waffen SS

*Danannana*

Waffen SS.
Hardly a elite force. It was made up of ideological sympatiers, not elite soldiers.

Spanish partizans in the Peninsular War.

The fact that mere peasants could grind the French army almost to a halt without any training is astounding.
Guerilla warfare agaisnt slow, static formations. Does not require much skill. The peasants took shots then retreated, as well as interfered messengers and killed lone stragglers.

The average mongol ought to be reckoned, seeing the damage they could lash out with minimal funding. Altough, to be fair, they practiced horsemanship and archery daily since they were young, so they did have some advantages over societies were warfare was considered a duty rather then a profession.
Of course it was a elite force!

Offline Wismar

• Donator
  • Med Gud o' Sveas allmoge för Konung och Fosterland
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Radical
Waffen SS!

Offline zac

• Donator
    • View Profile