Author Topic: Napoleonic Wars Battle Championship [NWBC]  (Read 41703 times)

Offline Mr_Etherton

• First Lieutenant
  • Hello There
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
Re: NWBC Official Thread
« Reply #90 on: April 01, 2015, 01:03:23 am »
I forgot also, just in my opinion, in any case, if the match had to be played as a Best of Three, i don't understand why the head admin staff and the opposite team did leave the server by saying the match is over by the score, gg, bb, et cetera..

In "Best of Three", there is the word "Three", which relates to the amount of rounds that needs to be played. We did play two rounds only, i personnally consider that behaviour towards us ; from the Triangle Coalition, BUT from the administrator staff too ; as a very disrespectful way to leave the server. You must admit this fact, in any case, the footage of the match may show it explicitly.

Id like to point out what the term 'best of 3' means. So there are a total of 3 rounds playable ie the term '3' the Triangle Coalition managed to win 2 of those rounds therefore making the 3rd and final round redundant as it would not affect the result of the match. They had already won 2 of a possible 3 matches giving them the win. This results in the last round not being played. Later on in the Championship if multiple teams finish on the same total points for examples 2 Coalitions finish on 9 points in 3rd and 4th position, those 2 Coalitions will play a tie breaker to decide who finish in that 3rd slot overall. This gives them a chance to see who is best once again on the day to decide the overall best groups. This may happen once, twice, three times or maybe not at all. So to conclude fairly, best of 3 does not require a 3rd round if a team is 2-0 up!

Offline Butan

• Sergeant
  • 8ème Chasseur
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 8eCC_Mdl_Butan
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #91 on: April 01, 2015, 01:19:05 am »
3 The general rule says you play best of 3. Amittedly i did say first too 3, but that was a cock up on my end and i admit that. I don't see why your moaning about it though, did you seriously expect to clutch when you were two zero down

It is indeed written "best of three" on the official thread but it was overlooked for three reasons:
- the same thread was edited and its rules changed the very day of the event, its validity put in question
- admin announced "first to three" on the event server itself, didnt correct, and sent it live: supersede the thread announcement (+reason above)
- most classical linebattles are 4 rounds+ minimum, non-english speakers have problems translating "best of three" (same than "first to three" to most french) so it was understood a 3-to-5 rounds was the logical scoring system used; everything went in that direction

The scoring system has effect on the meta of a linebattle, and what tactics are employed and when: aggressive, normal, defensive... The second round would probably have been played safer if it was understood the "best of three" system was used. A clutch scenario could have happened.
The fact that we didnt get to play the last rounds (which is a common fairplay gesture, if the winner is already decided; and can decide ties), even after acknowledging that it was indeed a best of three, added insult to injury.

4 Again Fire in charge for light and Arty guard was an issue on my end, it was ill defined, i will address it in the next few days, but after i had slayed a player for it and stated in pink chat it was not allowed, i would've thought you'd have realized it...

It is common in most linebattles that light can FiC. The fact that it was not the case, + the fact that it was not properly displayed, had effects on the course of the event: there was around half a dozen slays, all on one side, and there was only a handful of survivors in both rounds played. Mathematically the winner could have been different, simply with that light-FiC dispute. And there was also the artillery-FiC problem...

The event delay at the start, and the unnanounced presence of a totally new regiment, while we were punished for every soldiers above the limit, also worked in favor of a disagreeable experience.
In the end we waited as much as we played, around 20 minutes, very frustrating.
The exchange of canons/bullets/steel to the gut was nice, and the players were very polite: there is nothing to complain about on that subject.

If the event had been very one-sided I think there would be nothing to complain about, but it was not. As such, the issues raised work in favour of a re-match if both teams accept.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 01:25:41 am by Butan »

Offline Jack

• First Lieutenant
  • Honneur et Fidélité
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #92 on: April 01, 2015, 01:20:53 am »
Well, usually when we play best of a number of rounds, we play all the rounds, even if we have won by the middle of the event. I understand that you don't, but we found it surprising on the moment.
"For fangs I may have none but I have mind and it is sharper than any tooth."

Offline Mr_Etherton

• First Lieutenant
  • Hello There
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 01, 2015, 01:23:59 am »
With Regards to the Lights FiC issue i would like to return to the rules:

Skirmishers May...
    • Have a maximum of 5 man spacing
    • Fire in charge
    • Officer Aim
    • maintain Cohesion
Light Infantry May...
    • have a maximum of 2 man Spacing
    • not Officer Aim
    • maintain Cohesion

These Rules clearly state what each class CAN DO. Skirmishers MAY FIRE IN CHARGE. At no point under Light Infantry does it say they may fire in charge. Therefore they cannot do this!

Offline Jack

• First Lieutenant
  • Honneur et Fidélité
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 01, 2015, 01:27:19 am »
Why is it written "May Not Fire in charge" in the line infantry rules then?
"For fangs I may have none but I have mind and it is sharper than any tooth."

Offline Smollett

• Sergeant Major
  • 84th_Col_Smollett
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Smollett
« Reply #95 on: April 01, 2015, 01:29:27 am »

Looking forwards to our coalition's first game on Sunday, Hispanic Coalition beware ;)

Offline Tenford

• Donator
  • Bestu Spaniardu?
    • View Profile
  • Nick: König Tenford
« Reply #96 on: April 01, 2015, 01:34:15 am »

Looking forwards to our coalition's first game on Sunday, Hispanic Coalition beware ;)

prepare your bodies, Our goal is win the championship
1+1=7

Offline Zahari

• Major
  • Man with 0 ping Also known as Vicky ^^
    • View Profile
  • Nick: K-KA N°8
« Reply #97 on: April 01, 2015, 01:34:53 am »

Skirmishers May...
    • Fire in charge
    • Officer Aim
    • maintain Cohesion
Light Infantry May...
    • not Officer Aim
    • maintain Cohesion

These Rules clearly state what each class CAN DO. Skirmishers MAY FIRE IN CHARGE. At no point under Light Infantry does it say they may fire in charge. Therefore they cannot do this!
1. It is not clear cause if it is only what class can do why there is may not
2. Im not in Ve just saying how it looks from outside
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 01:37:59 am by Zahari »
"Russia and Prussia, especially, tried to suppress both Polish culture and language and the Catholic faith. In response, the Poles developed one of the most intense and self-sacrificing versions of Romantic nationalism ever seen in Europe. "- Neal Ascherson

Offline Michael Fish

• Major
  • Ubique
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 1stRHA_Col_Fish
« Reply #98 on: April 01, 2015, 01:38:46 am »
This is going to fun. Take what i say here with a pinch of salt as i'm pissy and it's late...

[
Spoiler
quote author=Butan link=topic=22891.msg982143#msg982143 date=1427843945]
3 The general rule says you play best of 3. Amittedly i did say first too 3, but that was a cock up on my end and i admit that. I don't see why your moaning about it though, did you seriously expect to clutch when you were two zero down

It is indeed written "best of three" on the official thread but it was overlooked for three reasons:
- the same thread was edited and its rules changed the very day of the event, its validity put in question
- admin announced "first to three" on the event server itself, didnt correct, and sent it live: supersede the thread announcement (+reason above)
- most classical linebattles are 4 rounds+ minimum, non-english speakers have problems translating "best of three" (same than "first to three" to most french) so it was understood a 3-to-5 rounds was the logical scoring system used; everything went in that direction

The scoring system has effect on the meta of a linebattle, and what tactics are employed and when: aggressive, normal, defensive... The second round would probably have been played safer if it was understood the "best of three" system was used. A clutch scenario could have happened.
The fact that we didnt get to play the last rounds (which is a common fairplay gesture, if the winner is already decided; and can decide ties), even after acknowledging that it was indeed a best of three, added insult to injury.

4 Again Fire in charge for light and Arty guard was an issue on my end, it was ill defined, i will address it in the next few days, but after i had slayed a player for it and stated in pink chat it was not allowed, i would've thought you'd have realized it...

It is common in most linebattles that light can FiC. The fact that it was not the case, + the fact that it was not properly displayed, had effects on the course of the event: there was around half a dozen slays, all on one side, and there was only a handful of survivors in both rounds played. Mathematically the winner could have been different, simply with that light-FiC dispute. And there was also the artillery-FiC problem...

The event delay at the start, and the unnanounced presence of a totally new regiment, while we were punished for every soldiers above the limit, also worked in favor of a disagreeable experience.
The exchange of canons/bullets/steel to the gut was nice, and the players were very polite: there is nothing to complain about on that subject.

If the event had been very one-sided I think there would be nothing to complain about, but it was not. As such, the issues raised work in favour of a re-match if both teams accept.
[/quote]
[close]
Are you fucking special? Of course the thread was edited on the fucking day! It was edited to add to clarification to the rules that people like you complained about!

This isn't a classical linebattle, it's a tournament. If people had issues with translation the should've approached me, but they didn't, so how was i to know there was an issue

Yes i said it was first to 3, that was an issue. I was a little stressed and have been feeling groggy, so i was a bit hazy tonight, you can hear it on the video.

So, as you refer to it the Ve were going into that battle, looking to throw the first 2 rounds and clutch the next 3?
While i admit that it does have some effect, it should not effect the mentality of which you go into the battle. As for not understanding the best of 3 system, that's your issue not mine...

Now this, this is my favourite quote from your extract... Insult to injury? You act as if i've slept with your wife... In rock paper scissors, when you're deciding who has to do cleaning detail, do you play the last round just for fair play? No.
This is exactly the same concept, we're here to decide the winner, once a match is done, it's done...

Alright, this is where i get pissed of properly...
The event delay was an issue, but, and this is a big fucking but, the event was planned for 8:30pm GMT+1. There's a little thing called daylight savings that people do not seem to comprehend, because of DST the UK is now in GMT+1, France in GMT+2 etc etc. You actually started the match early, it started 40 minutes earlier than it should have. That is where the issue lies, my internet was unfortunatly overloaded prior to the start due to familly using it and the like, i had to let it settle before begining the match, but there would have been no delay if it started when it should have...

Punished for every man above the limit? I will re-iterate what i said previously, are you fucking special? NOT ONCE were you punished for that because you didn't even bring 80 men...

Re iterate that statement so it makes sense, then i shall answer

Spoiler

Skirmishers May...
    • Fire in charge
    • Officer Aim
    • maintain Cohesion
Light Infantry May...
    • not Officer Aim
    • maintain Cohesion

Im not in Ve but..
1. It is not clear cause if it is only what clas can do why there is may not
2. Im not in Ve just saying how it looks from outside

[close]
Zahari, i understand that's slightly confusing
You guys are also missing a big point. It was done once by the Ve General and i slayed, if that were it i'd be fine, fair enough i made a boo boo.
Nope, it was repeated at least once after that

Either way, i'll be overhauling the thread tomorrow  so the rules are concise,

Edit: Put quotes into spoilers
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 01:43:16 am by Michael Fish »

Offline Zahari

• Major
  • Man with 0 ping Also known as Vicky ^^
    • View Profile
  • Nick: K-KA N°8
« Reply #99 on: April 01, 2015, 01:44:39 am »
I understand now. Thx Fish. First season or first few matches are always "special" . Next season or matches will be better. :)
"Russia and Prussia, especially, tried to suppress both Polish culture and language and the Catholic faith. In response, the Poles developed one of the most intense and self-sacrificing versions of Romantic nationalism ever seen in Europe. "- Neal Ascherson

Offline Michael Fish

• Major
  • Ubique
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 1stRHA_Col_Fish
« Reply #100 on: April 01, 2015, 01:45:36 am »
I understand now. Thx Fish. First season or first few matches are always "special" . Next season or matches will be better. :)
They say every Tournament has at least one drama, i'm glad to be getting mine out of the way at the start

Gotta say, i'm really hyped for the IVe +2Lhr Match!
Dukey will be streaming it! So look out
Edit: I'll kindly ask that any bitching/whining about the rules or issues of tonight kindly be directed to me on steam or teamspeak, and if you truly feel you need to tell the world what a horrible person i am; the NWBC discussion thread
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 01:55:57 am by Michael Fish »

Offline Moussolini

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 01, 2015, 02:30:33 am »
Well I can see why people might get confused with these things like for instance where it's stated that if one team appears and the other doesn't the team that appeared gets 3-0 win, even though it's theoretically not possible since it's BO3 and 2 wins is what decides the winner. Unless we were to play all games even after the winner is decided by 2 wins to go on and do the third round, in which case 3-0 win by default in a case where one team doesn't show up makes sense. I'm not sure if points are actually going to matter in this tournament to begin with, but I assume it's not since the last game was not played, and so only victories matters (victories of the whole match on not a round ofc)

Anyway, the match had few problems, and there is little to complain about, even if a few mistakes were made by the admins, they were quite clear on the rules when it was stated properly and right. And there is no good reason for complaining that 47th was on the team which you didn't expect. Never underestimate your enemy anyway, whether they are "supposedly" good or bad.

Also is it possible to play for two different regiments in this tournament or only one? Haven't seen it being clearly stated in the rules so just wondering.

Offline Layton

• Second Lieutenant
  • [82e] Dust
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 01, 2015, 10:13:00 am »
No more sign ups allowed I take it..... ?

Offline Tenford

• Donator
  • Bestu Spaniardu?
    • View Profile
  • Nick: König Tenford
« Reply #103 on: April 01, 2015, 12:29:46 pm »
No more sign ups allowed I take it..... ?

Do you want to form a team or join a team? cause the first one now is not allowed but you can speak with a team and join them if they need a cav, light, rifles or something
1+1=7

Offline 9e_d'Artillerie

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 02, 2015, 07:22:37 am »
I understand you have server. Right ? So Can we have it ? And i have a last question, who is the admin for our match ?