Poll

Cavalry

Shooting from horse back, reloading on the move!
26 (52%)
No shooting from horse back, no reload on the move!
13 (26%)
Another solution?!
11 (22%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Voting closed: February 22, 2015, 12:01:45 am

Author Topic: Cavalry in NaS 1.0 [discussion]  (Read 16054 times)

Offline BSM 'Shut up' Williams

• First Lieutenant
  • Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna!
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
  • Nick: Jean Grande
  • Side: Union
Re: Cavalry in NaS 1.0 [discussion]
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2015, 04:14:02 pm »
I think you should stop to reload.

Steam Profile Signature
[close]

Offline Mercuri

• Second Lieutenant
  • Spanish King's Walloon Guard
    • View Profile
    • Comunidad Gamer Hispana
  • Nick: 2aBH_Mercuri / 5thFL_JacksonTeller
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2015, 04:28:20 pm »

Yees! Just thinking about try to reload at the same time that you are moving on a horse in the real live make me laugh

Offline LFCJames

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: LFCJames
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2015, 04:42:10 pm »
Incognito has made a very good point.

• First Lieutenant
  • Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna!
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2015, 04:55:17 pm »

Yees! Just thinking about try to reload at the same time that you are moving on a horse in the real live make me laugh

Haha! You'll just fall off the other side!

Steam Profile Signature
[close]

Offline Nj299

• Sergeant
  • Just your Average M&B Player
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Noah_Johnson
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2015, 06:03:42 pm »
Look, all the fuss of taking cavalry out, hinkel, it would make it totally inaccurate, which of course I know you don't want to lose support, and you will really quickly.

Offline NicolasKiyoshi

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2015, 09:28:45 pm »
Anyway firing on horseback is very hard and inaccurate. For example using bows on horseback is already hard, imagine with a black powder gun whom you have to reload after each shot, with bow i usually spend like 5 arrows to hit someshit while galloping at full speed

Offline LucasAvis

• Second Lieutenant
  • To be True, You must first be Loyal.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Ser Lucas Avis
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2015, 09:50:57 pm »
The only reason the DA "banned" it from events is due to the Infantry constantly whining (sorry Footsloggers, love you really!).

Thankfully I managed to get an 8 week trial through! So for now the Saturday event has NW Style Dragoon Rules, (Must be lined up to shoot).

Also, Cavalry have always been allowed (and intended to be allowed) to reload on the move in the Saturday event. Only the Sharps were disallowed. Might be one or two events we accidentally slayed Cav due to the sharps never following rules, but only one of two events.
Oberst of the NR24 (NW)
Colonel of the 11th North Devonshire (AZ)
Colonel of the Devonshire Regiment (IE)
Colonel of the 1st South Carolina Rifles (BCF/WOR)

• First Lieutenant
  • Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna!
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2015, 10:30:54 pm »
ONLY ONE of two? Joking! But I think cavalry should be allowed to do whatever they want, but must be in groups of 4? Maybe?

Steam Profile Signature
[close]

Offline Nj299

• Sergeant
  • Just your Average M&B Player
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Noah_Johnson
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2015, 12:27:26 am »
Don't get me wrong, I agree with the Dixieland Army on that point because it can become a nuisance when misused, I think however It should be enforced by servers more strictly if it becomes an issue.

• First Lieutenant
  • Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna!
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2015, 01:00:43 am »
I have to agree with that, it makes sense.

Steam Profile Signature
[close]

Offline LucasAvis

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2015, 09:02:22 am »
Well I don't agree with the DA on this.

As a former Cavalry Commander, I want to be able to dual wield pistols going around doing drive by's against everyone. But seriously, infantry officers can sure complain!!! And the old Arty guys would shout the loudest when their anti-cav squares were just shot over.

So yeah, I want the Cavalry to have all the things as a former cavalry officer. But just for the sanity of the event hosters I know we need some sort of rules. (Fun fact the infantry have already lodged complaints about cav retreating and reloading. Which is now against the rules. Personally I just call it skirmishing but well...)

So yeah. I am hugely outnumbered in my thinking that cav needs more :-P
Oberst of the NR24 (NW)

Offline Sturog

• Second Lieutenant
  • Yes, i know my english is not perfect.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Sturog
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2015, 11:35:04 am »
A linebattle is not decided by the cavalry, even if they can shoot from horseback.
The number of cav players is very small because the server admin mostly dosent allow large cav detachments during an event.
Its not that easy to shoot someone from horseback even he is in cover and you are under fire by his reg.
And I also think that most of the Infantry Regiments are able to handle cav who shoots from horseback.

My solution: I think cav should be able to shoot and reload from horseback, but they should have less accuracy and a long reloading time (maybe longer than muskets event it its unrealistic). The rest will be done by the rules during the events (like no pistol shooting from horseback for Colonels which is REALLY ******* OP).

But at least it dosent matter which solution you choose:
It will be fair anyways because in most battles both sides uses cav wich have to use and follow the same rules.

Spoiler
!!DONT DO THAT!!:

Hinkel: Maybe I should just remove the cavalry completly, if most of you demand that much hard rules. Then there is NO reason to keep cavalry ingame.

I am surprised that you even think about that Hinkel. As an infantry player i have now to face cav in this mod for nearly 3 years. Sure, they scares me every time but i think i would miss something if there isnt any cav somewhere on the map, just waiting to knock-out the arty or flank some inf regs  ;)
[close]

PS: sorry for my bad english  :P
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 11:40:57 am by Sturog »

• First Lieutenant
  • Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna!
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2015, 01:11:28 pm »
Getting slaughtered by the cavalry is the fun conclusion to your time in the round. You either come out alive, with little health. Or, you end up like a pile of sliced ham with hooves and slits all over it.

Steam Profile Signature
[close]

Offline LucasAvis

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2015, 02:21:11 pm »
A linebattle is not decided by the cavalry, even if they can shoot from horseback.
The number of cav players is very small because the server admin mostly dosent allow large cav detachments during an event.
Its not that easy to shoot someone from horseback even he is in cover and you are under fire by his reg.
And I also think that most of the Infantry Regiments are able to handle cav who shoots from horseback.

My solution: I think cav should be able to shoot and reload from horseback, but they should have less accuracy and a long reloading time (maybe longer than muskets event it its unrealistic). The rest will be done by the rules during the events (like no pistol shooting from horseback for Colonels which is REALLY ******* OP).

But at least it dosent matter which solution you choose:
It will be fair anyways because in most battles both sides uses cav wich have to use and follow the same rules.

PS: sorry for my bad english  :P

Cavalry can be a critical component for Victory. When used right. Each event has their own rules but for the Saturday LB that I host, all I ask is that both sides have equal numbers of Cav and no more than 15ish players. 15 is actually quite a lot considering that is 15% per side...
As for shooting, depends how good you are, I managed to headshot someone whilst mounted before - its on one of the vids, and was very fun. Never done it again apart from executing someone though haha.

Actually no, most of the Infantry Officers complain no end about cav firing from horseback, its why the DA and UA has to put in the rule back in 2012 - the officer meeting would just be a bunch of whining infantry officers. Nowadays its different as many regiments have come and gone, and thankfully in the DA event at least, the Infantry Officers dont QQ about it.

But another problem was the Artillery, unless they have Guards they are under serious threat from Fire from Horseback as their anti-cav squares wont stop a bullet fired from elevation. There have been some complaints but I would say its the job of the cav to stop the enemy cav reaching the artillery, or for the arty to have guards. Again, we have been way too restrictive on Cavalry for almost the entire duration of my play time.

The current system of forcing them to dismount to reload is fine as is. It means they get one shot from horseback then they go melee until they can safely dismount and reload. Its fine.

The main problem with Cavalry, is the sheer unbalance in favour of the Union side cavalry. And yes I am talking about the stats.
Oberst of the NR24 (NW)

• First Lieutenant
  • Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna!
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2015, 02:39:39 pm »
The main problem with Cavalry, is the sheer unbalance in favour of the Union side cavalry. And yes I am talking about the stats...

And the uniform ;)

Steam Profile Signature
[close]