Author Topic: All regiment & mess hall threads capped at 100 pages  (Read 29637 times)

Offline Swerpious Maximous

• Brigadier General
  • I'm not creative
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Swerp
  • Side: Neutral
Re: All regiment threads capped at 100 pages #MuhPages
« Reply #60 on: October 14, 2014, 05:35:54 am »
Blobmania dun goofd
Don't kill the messenger
I'm not cool enough for a signature

Offline Ody

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • MoskovGren Ody on steam
    • View Profile
  • Nick: MoskovGren_Kpt_~Odysseus~
« Reply #61 on: October 14, 2014, 06:07:51 am »
Idk if half these comments are serious or not, but most of the threads out there are just...spam and I know I used to be like that to, but time to grow up guys. There was once a time when a thread held something meaningful like relevant to the game, regiment and event, now it's all this stupid 420 shit. Fuck the haters, I support the FSE teams decision on capping the thread, maybe now people will post meaningful things instead of 420 youtube videos
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 06:09:30 am by Ody »

Offline NickyJ

• Major General
  • The Twilight Zone
    • View Profile
  • Nick: LIR_Lieut_NickyJ
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #62 on: October 14, 2014, 06:17:42 am »
Idk if half these comments are serious or not, but most of the threads out there are just...spam and I know I used to be like that to, but time to grow up guys. There was once a time when a thread held something meaningful like relevant to the game, regiment and event, now it's all this stupid 420 shit. Fuck the haters, I support the FSE teams decision on capping the thread, maybe now people will post meaningful things instead of 420 youtube videos
People are going to do what they can to keep their threads on the first page. Instead of saying "bump", they do the spam talk. Different words, same effect. This isn't going to stop it.

Offline PurplePanda

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Old Gen boy, led a few bad regiments.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Purpie
  • Side: Union
« Reply #63 on: October 14, 2014, 06:17:51 am »

Stfu. You are paid by fse.

Offline EdwardC

• Donator
  • Cyberbullying + Memes = FSE Forums
    • View Profile
    • 9th East Norfolk
Re: All threads capped at 100 pages #MuhPages
« Reply #64 on: October 14, 2014, 06:18:08 am »
We should Bush Pirate Vincent o's reenactment events.
Sounds like a plan

+1

Offline Locust

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 14, 2014, 06:29:36 am »
Friendly bump :)

Offline PurplePanda

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Old Gen boy, led a few bad regiments.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Purpie
« Reply #66 on: October 14, 2014, 06:47:57 am »
We should Bush Pirate Vincenzo's reenactment events.

Offline Marceaux

• Donator
  • Je suis immortel.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 1er_Capitaine_Marceaux
« Reply #67 on: October 14, 2014, 07:30:56 am »
FSE USERS UNITE! WE RIDE OUT TO GET THOSE GESTAPO BASTARDS!

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkH5Ak4wAnY[/YOUTUBE]

Offline TheHunted0

• First Lieutenant
  • 15thYR
    • View Profile
  • Nick: TheHunted
« Reply #68 on: October 14, 2014, 08:20:40 am »

Offline Kore

• The Sideblock King
  • Major General
  • Best Czech player on the Moon. uaa
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Oubliette*******
« Reply #69 on: October 14, 2014, 08:43:40 am »
let's get this to a 100 pages so it gets locked
+1

One of the best side blockers in the game. Often reffered as 'the Sideblock King'.

Offline Furrnox

• Lieutenant General
  • Eternally incorrect, centre-left, asshole.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 14, 2014, 09:18:07 am »
If nothing changes in the next few days then I'm tempted to start my own little retarded "revolution".

Offline Vaska

• Captain
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Vaska
« Reply #71 on: October 14, 2014, 09:22:49 am »
I agree with you. Instead of an unnecessary shit ("ok" "no" "lol" and not only these), we should only post messages which are closely connected to the topic and the game.

Offline Vincenzo

• Flying Squirrel Dev
  • FSE Developer
  • Dutchman living in Allenstein, Ostpreußen.
    • View Profile
    • Flying Squirrel Entertainment
  • Nick: FSE_Vincenzo
« Reply #72 on: October 14, 2014, 11:27:55 am »
The change was done for performance reasons.

I can assure you the box the webserver is running on is one of the fastest in the market, however a many page topic, is straining it at lot, let me explain why.

Whenever a person opens a topic, the database is asked to locate all posts in the posts table (millions) that are with topicID x.
After It fetched these details and stored in memory, you can imagine if you have 100+ pages, think about 500 pages, then there are thousands of posts fetched and stored in memory.
When it has gathered this information it is going to filter this data according to what page you are watching... then send this information to your computer.

The sad truth is that whenever you open a big page topic, reply to it, whatever, every page load is bumping the MySQL database process to 100% CPU for a good second.. mind you that is on a latest Intel Xenon CPU..

Topics with 100 pages, are in my opinion a good limit, they take significantly less CPU load..

Except CPU, the memory usage will be less and overall the site will perform faster..

The problems with remaking your topic were unintended, please send a message to a moderator or me to send you your topic start post contents.

I understand not everyone loves this change, but believe me, it is for the better to keep everything running smooth.

Offline MaHuD

• Major
    • View Profile
    • Reveran
  • Nick: MaHuD
Re: All threads capped at 100 pages
« Reply #73 on: October 14, 2014, 11:40:23 am »
They locked all the threads so now people can't even copy and paste their BB codes to make a new one.

Honestly what the actual fuck? Taleworlds has LOADS more 100+ page threads than FSE will ever have, they use the same software, are you to tell me FSE's servers are just that shitty?

There's an ulterior motive here, God knows what.
Taleworlds also has policies against large threads, however not all forum boards seem to be affected by this. (Regimental topics, mods etc.)
In the past some bigger topics have simply been removed to lessen the issue that Vince brings up above this post.
You can also see this in the off-topic section at taleworlds where popular threads are marked with numbers, which indicates the amount of times it has been re-made for this purpose...

I suppose you can always ask a moderator to splitt your topic so that it keeps it's  OP and simply update it with a roman number like '1st Regiment of Foot [ II topic ]'
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 11:42:24 am by MaHuD »
[18:51] <Evanovic> Mahud can I nominate you for best villian 2013?

Offline Furrnox

• Lieutenant General
  • Eternally incorrect, centre-left, asshole.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 14, 2014, 11:41:40 am »
Yeah but I'm pretty sure Taleworlds caps it to 1000 pages.