Author Topic: Are any of you dissatisfied with line battles?  (Read 8739 times)

Offline Eatjello

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: Are any of you dissatisfied with line battles?
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2014, 08:39:28 pm »
Well I think u are wrong and u need to think about thing realticlly if u wanna get any realism out of your battles or ppl to follow u. And just use your brain and think of one dude as 20 then line battles would be  2000 vs 2000 and there u have your fancy pants "Big" battle.

In closing I made a event thats all line low bull shit  "kinda" casual about some things but not pub play. but ill get off my soap box and see what u have to say about this

rage on

Offline -~Carson~-

• Corporal
  • thatguy1234
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2014, 09:19:24 pm »
Having "real" line battles would just be too hard. Too many people would die officers would be killed then you have a mess to deal with.

Offline Miller

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2014, 10:03:01 pm »
Well I think u are wrong and u need to think about thing realticlly if u wanna get any realism out of your battles or ppl to follow u. And just use your brain and think of one dude as 20 then line battles would be  2000 vs 2000 and there u have your fancy pants "Big" battle.

In closing I made a event thats all line low bull shit  "kinda" casual about some things but not pub play. but ill get off my soap box and see what u have to say about this

rage on

its not the scale at all that i mind, i constantly refer to the form and manner of combat, never the scale, i know it cant be helped, its technological not behavioral.

and to the other guy, because i dont know how to quote 2 ppl without double posting, the mess is what would be real about it in many ways. Imagine you have thick properly formed battalions of men common time marching towards eachother, then a volley is exchanged, front ranks fall, melee could happen then in tight close order or perhaps a reload and second volley is exchanged, or even a retreat to reform after sustaining such casualties at close range. Then the cav bugals and charges magnificently into the weakend and desperate formation ending the all but perfect round. Imagine if this entirely possible exchange occurred often in regular line battles rather then the thinned out sniper missions that make a farce of the French Revolution. It would simply be indescribable, if i had not just described it =) 
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 10:09:48 pm by Miller »

Offline Colbac

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 24th[LtCol]_Colbac
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2014, 03:36:14 pm »
No, I'm perfectly fine with linebattles as they are. Now, if people want realism events, fair enough. But I think I'd stay with the current events rather than the more realistic 19th century linebattles.

I just think there would be a lot of things that would make it annoying game to play. But if people want to play it that way, more power to them.

Offline SeanBeansShako

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2014, 05:26:32 pm »
What we have evolved as line battles are fine as long as the following criteria is met:

Good numbers.
Good balance.
A reasonable and non esoteric rule set (rules that cover gameplay basics not the creators opinions on what the like/dislike).
An attentive admin not afraid in getting his hands dirty and encouraging the teams to play the game.
A nice realistic sort of random generated map (not too much or little cover, hills and terrain height).
A solid server and TeamSpeak with good performance.
Responsible and mature Regiments in attendence.
15 minute rounds at the most.
5 or 6 rounds at the most keeping the event to a smart 1 hour 15 minute time limit.

If you can get most of that working you have a line battle that can work for over a year or more, In my own experince it really does work.

What the line battle community could do with right now is a big custom map pack for these things as randomly generated maps are getting incredibly boring for some.

Offline regwilliam

• Donator
  • add regwilliam to join 1stNJ
    • View Profile
  • Nick: William
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2014, 08:18:29 pm »
yea i really hate the the random maps not sure when everyone decided to just use them for all line battles there are plenty of maps that can be used for line battles that have building,bridges,rivers ect. To me if feels more like we are fighting some were in some epic battle then just * Oh there over there i can see them because there is nothing on this map*

Offline Miller

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2014, 09:57:12 pm »
yes i totally agree, the random maps have become saturating

Offline Conway

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 41stNY_Whatever_Conway
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2014, 01:00:25 am »
On a note to the whole maps being bland thing, I have for some time debated of creating an event where regiments can garrison themselves inside buildings and crouch behind small walls and fences! You would not believe how many maps there are that would be perfect for this and I think if line battles tried to shake up their events a bit more with new maps they may get more (Or horribly less) than other events.

Offline Colbac

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 24th[LtCol]_Colbac
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2014, 01:10:53 am »
I think linebattles could do with some more nice, community generated maps. If they could, just find a somewhat flat map and just work around that (add houses, scenery, etc.)

Offline SeanBeansShako

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2014, 02:27:26 am »
The Napoleon Total War maps would be a great source of inspiration for making custom LB maps.

Offline joer5835

• Brigadier General
  • My face is tired.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Joer
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2014, 04:49:29 pm »
A good event in the first place needs good admins. And that means it doesn't need admins that whine constantly over officer aiming and Fire in charge.
Polan is of dangerous to FSE
Im from Poland , a land of lawlessness

Offline SeanBeansShako

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2014, 05:41:00 pm »
You shouldn't care about officer aiming as you'll be fighting game mechanics and watching hundreds of people at once shooting guns (not possible) and just be clear than the line infantry shouldn't do it. It really isn't that hard.

Offline Hazzard

• Corporal
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Hazzard, or something like that.
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2014, 01:06:10 am »
We need better maps to improve the linebattles really. An EU event tonight had what I like about linebattles. Making use of cover and terrain to try and outfight the enemy.
Cavalry, in my experience, tend to have more interesting linebattles and have more decisions to make about the battlefield. Do you aim for the horse or rider, do you run for that spare horse over there or do you stand your ground and rely on comrades to keep the horse alive and help you deal with the enemy?

Offline tacticalretreat

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2014, 07:49:53 pm »
I cant help but feel in reality it is just the fact you have been playing lbs for so long that they are becoming monotonous and this is just an idea that would increase the longevity of the game for a bit longer for some. Sure a realistic lb would be fun with walking and regiments working together but this is hard to do and is really just found in armies or 'super regiments' who have detachments all on 1 team. But then think of the average guy in the community, this would bore him to death. Most remaining players in the infantry community love melee and getting into the action rather than shooting in perfect formation. Something that this style of gameplay would encourage less of.

Offline Crescent Glow

• Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2014, 11:45:49 pm »
Not really sure. I have been to N.A. and EU events, and the EU events seem a lot moremore organized with fewer trolls etc...