10 (18.9%)
A Brush
0 (0%)
A piece of coal
3 (5.7%)
My "stick"
21 (39.6%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Author Topic: The Drawing Thread  (Read 137762 times)

Offline Betaknight

• Major
  • To Protect and To Serve
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Betaknight
  • Side: Union
Re: The Drawing Thread
« Reply #285 on: April 18, 2013, 02:29:23 am »
Did a color study yesterday.  Basically I painted an existing painting.  Meaning, I used the original painting as a reference and painted my own while eyeballing the original.  (Something professionals do on a regular basis, and something I never do, hence the long winded explanation where none was needed.)  I didn't add all the details, cause...well cause it's a painting study.  The head is my own creation, but it's sloppy.  I was more focused on the space marine warhammer armor.

I'd list the original painter but that wasn't listed in the google image unfortunately!

Correction: Oddly enough, I litterally just stumbled across the artist of the original painting.  It's Diego Gisbert.

Either way, I think it's a good start towards my digital painting machinations. 

Like all my stuff, I posted this a few days earlier in my Regiment thread.   :P
Can you make animes thunder ?
The first modder for NW.

Offline Windbusche

• Donator
  • American Vocabulary Trooper
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Windbusche
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #286 on: April 18, 2013, 02:48:09 am »
That any set chapter, Thundersnow? It's gorgeous! I would have said Blood Angels but the red is far too dark for that.

Offline Jacob

• Alpha Tester
  • Back after a long long time away :)
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Jacob
« Reply #287 on: April 18, 2013, 08:58:38 am »
Thunder do you know which sites I can get a decent tablet a little bit cheaper than full prices? I don't have any monies :(

Offline The Nutty Pig

• Donator
  • It wasn't easy being cheesy.
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #288 on: April 19, 2013, 09:49:30 pm »
Thunder do you know which sites I can get a decent tablet a little bit cheaper than full prices? I don't have any monies :(
I know this small little site that is just getting set-up, it's called E-bay, give that a try!

Offline Jacob

• Alpha Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: April 19, 2013, 10:17:31 pm »
I know this small little site that is just getting set-up, it's called E-bay, give that a try!

I looked around but I don't like buying electrical goods from Ebay because it usually breaks pretty soon after purchase due to not being looked after

Offline Thundersnow

• Captain
  • Overlord of the 00th Regiment, Time and Space.
    • View Profile
    • www.PlanetThundersnow.com
« Reply #290 on: April 20, 2013, 02:18:08 am »

I looked around but I don't like buying electrical goods from Ebay because it usually breaks pretty soon after purchase due to not being looked after

I got mine at Ebay.  Wacom Intous 3 Tablet.   They are older, but universally accepted as the best tablet.  Think they're around $300?  Just go with a guy whose been selling on Ebay for a while and has alot of good feedback.  Those are the guys who will bend over backwards to help you if your tablet got screwed up.

Now as far as the super-duper ones...the ones where the tablet is actually the 'paper' and you're drawing right onto the screen itself...those start at around $1,000.  Although I've heard artists say they don't make the much of a difference.

You'll have to be more specific.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 02:22:15 am by Thundersnow »

Offline Jacob

• Alpha Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: April 20, 2013, 02:27:11 am »

I got mine at Ebay.  Wacom Intous 3 Tablet.   They are older, but universally accepted as the best tablet.  Think they're around $300?  Just go with a guy whose been selling on Ebay for a while and has alot of good feedback.  Those are the guys who will bend over backwards to help you if your tablet got screwed up.

Now as far as the super-duper ones...the ones where the tablet is actually the 'paper' and you're drawing right onto the screen itself...those start at around $1,000.  Although I've heard artists say they don't make the much of a difference.

You'll have to be more specific.

Cheers man :) Time to start saving up lol I only have like $100 atm but I'll make more easily

Offline ShiftKnife

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: April 21, 2013, 12:26:37 pm »
I'm a 'self taught' on the side artist. I draw when I'm inspired and that's rare. Last time I decided to pick up the tablet was several months ago, and I managed to (chicken) scratch this out. Guess which game series inspired these lovelies.

Offline GoblinOverlord

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: GoblinOverlord
« Reply #293 on: April 21, 2013, 03:46:23 pm »
Wow, looks very good!

I guess Fallout.  ???

Offline Thundersnow

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: April 21, 2013, 04:39:24 pm »
Looks good, keep drawing!

Offline ShiftKnife

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: April 22, 2013, 04:19:14 am »
Looks good, keep drawing!

Thanks man, means a lot to me.

Do you have any tips on coloring specifically?

Offline Thundersnow

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: April 22, 2013, 04:58:49 am »
Do you have any tips on coloring specifically?

Well, there's two ways to color.  Actually there are more, like with masks and stuff.  I'm learning different ways myself.

But the way I do it is, if im familiar with the subject, like, I KNOW what the colors are for the 00th, I'll create a color layer and crank it out.  Either stick it under the inked layer or set it to 'multiply'.

If you use the wand to select large areas to paint one color, I usually go Select/Modify/Expand and expand it by at LEAST 1, usually 1-3.  That's so when you color fill an area you don't get that stupid white line on the boarder between the color and the black line art.

OR if you're just messing around and are not sure of the colors, have each color on its own layer.  This is tedious.  When the painting is done though, you can go back and change a color via the Hue/Saturation tool in Adjustments.  So tedious, but a big time saver in the end.

That should help you get started.  Just draw every day.  That's what I decided to do 2 years ago after a 10 year hiatus.  You can see the massive improvements on the Taleworlds forum if you search my profile and see some of the older pics I've posted to what I've got now.  And I KNOW I'm getting better. 

This pic was done in 2011.

This is one I'm working on NOW

First, I get an idea.  It helps if you're insane like me.  I immediately sketch it out in a thumbnail or scribble down the concept in notebook that I always carry.  Thoughts can be lost.  Paper is forever.  It's the most indestructible thing on this planet.  Then I hop on Photoshop and either scan the concept or just crank out the concept on Photoshop.

I do two 'Sketch Phases'.  I sketch out an idea.  Then I turn down the opacity and sketch over it again, refining the image and ideas.  This is the end result of the 'Sketch Phase'.

Ink Stage

So there you have it.

2 years spent improving anything each day WILL generate results.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 12:17:53 pm by Thundersnow »

Offline ShiftKnife

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: April 22, 2013, 07:39:51 am »
I really appreciate it. I've always struggled finding colors that I find look right. Again, thanks.

Offline Onii

• Donator
  • Your friendly neighbourhood Dane
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #298 on: April 22, 2013, 01:16:30 pm »
Thundersnow, do you have a page where we can see all your drawings? :3

Offline KillerMongoose

• Major
  • "And I believe I have cut your throat"- Fiore
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Wryngwyrm
« Reply #299 on: April 22, 2013, 03:00:40 pm »
Working on something non-Napoleonic (crazy I know right?) it's from Robert E. Howard's Conan series, it's a Gunderland footman, he'll either have a shield and sword or a pike. Howard's description of Gundermen, tall, slim, tawny hair, grey eyes, corselets of chainmail, steel skullcaps and bascinets, pikes, shields, steel leg pieces. Oh and silly accents. First person to guess what they're based off of wins 1000 internetz