Author Topic: NATO vs Warsaw Pact (Who Would Win)  (Read 30793 times)

Offline Captain America

• Second Lieutenant
  • One realm, one God, one King!
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
Re: NATO vs Warsaw Pact (Who Would Win)
« Reply #75 on: February 05, 2014, 10:22:36 pm »
I'm not sure how Eastern Europa was in any way economically better off in the 50s

It wasn't, it was much worse, but the West needed improved economy to be able to get back on a war footing, the East was already on a war footing

What?

Eastern Europe was raped in WW2, everything was ruined to shit. On top of that they were communist countries, thus generating no resources to rebuild the countries or modernise them (Just look at Eastern Europe nowadays, they're in the mid 1990 economically). War economies ruin countries and running it for a prolonged period of time just reduces the little resources they already had.

Warsaw Pact nations wouldn't be able to sustain more than a year of full war if it broke out before mid 60's.

They didn't need to sustain war for a year, all US planning in this period made the assumption that Western Europe would be lost very rapidly. Doctrine emphasised using Britain as a base for air raids, but very much accepted that Soviet military might could probably hold the continent against invasion. And you are forgetting the massive amount of Soviet industry east of the Urals that was moved there during the German invasion. All of that was still very much active and pumping out war materiel.

Offline munky-wunky

• Captain
  • Oh, I'm a good old rebel, Now thats just what I am
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #76 on: February 05, 2014, 10:23:34 pm »
N.A.T.O would win
Spoiler
Welcome to FSE hun. Enjoy your stay on s.s. Duuring. Lifeboat is to be found on upper left corner as "log out". We wish you enjoy the journey. Thank you for choosing Dutch Sea For your vacation.
[close]

Offline Johan

• Captain
    • View Profile
  • Nick: [5teFKI]_Oberst_Johann
« Reply #77 on: February 06, 2014, 10:48:00 am »
I'm not sure how Eastern Europa was in any way economically better off in the 50s

It wasn't, it was much worse, but the West needed improved economy to be able to get back on a war footing, the East was already on a war footing

What?

Eastern Europe was raped in WW2, everything was ruined to shit. On top of that they were communist countries, thus generating no resources to rebuild the countries or modernise them (Just look at Eastern Europe nowadays, they're in the mid 1990 economically). War economies ruin countries and running it for a prolonged period of time just reduces the little resources they already had.

Warsaw Pact nations wouldn't be able to sustain more than a year of full war if it broke out before mid 60's.

Any evidence to back your claims?

Offline Captain America

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 06, 2014, 11:13:56 am »

What?

Interesting how the Communist Bloc broke up in the 1990s, and you cannot deny that Russia went from absolutely no industrialization to  being a major industrial power after the revolution.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #79 on: February 06, 2014, 11:58:39 am »
Yeah, if you force people to...

Offline Johan

• Captain
    • View Profile
  • Nick: [5teFKI]_Oberst_Johann
« Reply #80 on: February 06, 2014, 12:35:40 pm »
I find it funny how Sven hates Communism especially it's planned economy, while Nazi Germany had the exact same...  ::)

Offline Captain America

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 06, 2014, 01:16:19 pm »

I'm not saying that Stalinist economies weren't brutal and dehumanized, I am saying that if facilitates success in war

Offline Bruin

• Sergeant
  • Don't expect much out of me.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 84e_SoPV_Bruin
« Reply #82 on: March 19, 2014, 04:18:38 pm »

I'm not saying that Stalinist economies weren't brutal and dehumanized, I am saying that if facilitates success in war
I think that argument can go both ways.  ???

Offline Skipper

• First Lieutenant
  • The real Skipper of NW
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Skipper
« Reply #83 on: April 06, 2014, 12:20:53 pm »
Warsaw pact, Russia is more powerful than the USA at the moment. Could take out the USA, which is in fairness the only country in NATO that would make a significant difference (this is coming from a Brit, Britain would not be able to do anything but suck-up the nukes for America).
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 12:39:23 pm by Skipper »
Pirate_Battle_1 Community Rep||||[Former]Groupfighting admin, Jail Break server admin||||88th, 126th, 33rd, 24th, 57th, 2ndCSG, 54th, 4th, 65th, 5Brg, 67th, 57e, 28th

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 06, 2014, 12:23:25 pm »
China isn't a member of the Warsaw pact.

Offline TORN

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: TORN
« Reply #85 on: April 06, 2014, 07:06:52 pm »
Russia more powerfull than America at the moment? We're talking about warsaw pact.

Offline Skipper

• First Lieutenant
  • The real Skipper of NW
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Skipper
« Reply #86 on: April 06, 2014, 07:08:21 pm »
Russia is more powerful than USA so far, though just about, and I thought we were saying if Warsaw pact was around today.
Pirate_Battle_1 Community Rep||||[Former]Groupfighting admin, Jail Break server admin||||88th, 126th, 33rd, 24th, 57th, 2ndCSG, 54th, 4th, 65th, 5Brg, 67th, 57e, 28th

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 06, 2014, 07:16:36 pm »
Russia is mostly more willing to use their army. That doesn't necessarily express strength. In fact, it can even signal weakness.

Offline Archduke Sven

• Brigadier General
  • I have over 1000 warning points, be careful.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: regimentless sven
« Reply #88 on: April 06, 2014, 07:32:09 pm »
Small dogs bark more than big ones.

told that bih don't @ me

Offline TORN

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: TORN
« Reply #89 on: April 06, 2014, 07:32:51 pm »
i thought we were talking about warsaw pact when it still excisted.