Author Topic: Reenactment Discussion  (Read 313769 times)

Offline König

• Major
  • A major König
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Koenig
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: Reenactment Discussion
« Reply #465 on: April 22, 2013, 04:57:09 pm »
While I'm absolutely not against female re-enactors, this woman does such an awful, awful and unprofessional job.

I mean, let's analyze is fully professional:

- She wears a regular jacket with no musician wings
- Her bandolier is missing the drumstick-holder
- SHE WEARS A GODDAMN SKIRT.

Honestly, if you don't even bother getting a pair of pants, you shouldn't get on the field.

PS: I wonder why those two Miliciens have tucked their pantaloons into the gaiters, while every source and regulations says they were to be left hanging over.
My thoughts exactly.

And as for the gaiters, I would presume it's because they look cooler that way, imo. I dunno. But of course, we all know how well regulations were normally followed.  ;)
Besides, I think gaitors are warmer when worn that way. It may have been cold out.
I don't trust anything but pizza from a pizza place.

Offline Jocam

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #466 on: April 22, 2013, 06:09:30 pm »
While I'm absolutely not against female re-enactors, this woman does such an awful, awful and unprofessional job.

I mean, let's analyze is fully professional:

- She wears a regular jacket with no musician wings
- Her bandolier is missing the drumstick-holder
- SHE WEARS A GODDAMN SKIRT.

Honestly, if you don't even bother getting a pair of pants, you shouldn't get on the field.

PS: I wonder why those two Miliciens have tucked their pantaloons into the gaiters, while every source and regulations says they were to be left hanging over.
My thoughts exactly.

And as for the gaiters, I would presume it's because they look cooler that way, imo. I dunno. But of course, we all know how well regulations were normally followed.  ;)
Besides, I think gaitors are warmer when worn that way. It may have been cold out.

Then, IMO, they should either have done it all, or not at all. uniformity trolling since existence

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #467 on: April 22, 2013, 07:07:29 pm »
Though I frown a little upon non-re-enactors telling re-enactors what to do, Jocam does have a point.

I love how the 7th got in a fight. Against vikings.

Offline Landrik

• First Lieutenant
  • Слава Україні!
    • View Profile
    • Infanterie-Regiment 208 (Reenacted)
  • Nick: Landrik
« Reply #468 on: April 22, 2013, 07:43:27 pm »
WWI at Newville was pretty damn good. Didn't get as many pictures as I would like and I was the only one taking pictures except for the one my brother took of me and the one of the camp taken by another in our regiment.

"Schwarze Peter! Schwarze Peter!"
Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
[close]

I'm behind the brown shelter-half.
Spoiler
[close]

After improving the trenches, my brother enjoys a cigarette.
Spoiler
[close]

Then sneaks in a picture of me, haha. Guess no face-time for me at this reenactment.
Spoiler
[close]

Filling into the trenches before live is called.
Spoiler

[close]

Pre-engagement Axis meeting. There were about 300-400 people total at this reenactment, even people coming over from Eastern Europe doing Austro-Hungarian and Brits doing Brits. :P This picture doesn't even get the people to the left, where there were many more. I'd say about 200~ people, with those who had to be sleeping in or coming into the trenches later for sure.
Spoiler
[close]

I have to say, doing the huge Axis push as well as fending off against allies in close quarters was amazing and being able to work on trenchworks was actually pretty damn fun and a much better way of passing the time than looking off into no-mans-land for movement. We did a bit of no-mans-land raiding this time as well, but the moon was waxing and made it hard to hide unlike last November when it was nearly a new moon. Our little party got captured and brought in, the Americans not finding any sawtooth bayonets on us let us live, but we were processed in the rear by a Tommy who spoke German with us. I'm glad my German was able to keep up with him and give simple answers.

WWI is a very diverse reenactment with plenty of living history as well as fierce combat involved. It really pushes you to want to make your uniform, kit, and overall impression much more stronger! Love it.
Humans are extremely complicated creatures. Death uncomplicates them to a frightening degree...

Offline Mr T

• Major General
  • Je Passe Quand Meme
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Mortier
« Reply #469 on: April 22, 2013, 09:15:40 pm »
Sounds like Zac and Landrik had great events, how was everyone else's? :)

Offline munky-wunky

• Captain
  • Oh, I'm a good old rebel, Now thats just what I am
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: April 22, 2013, 09:34:07 pm »
alright im ready to type  :D

I had a mulit era living history event.  and will now goe through all who showed up.
1. romans, vikings
2. Roses war
3. Landsknecht
4. war of 1812 naval  /cannon
5. war of 1812 maryland state milita
7. 7th Maryland infantry (ME)
8. maryland privateers
8. French and indian war British Redcoats
9. Britsh officers ( Egypt).
10. single guy, pussian infantry 1850's
11. IRA (1920'S)
12. german 2nd Mountain Division
13. 82 Airborne 506 pir pathfinders
14. WW2/ww1 British infantry from (south hapmton)
15. French foreign  legion
16. lots of Vietnam troops, us. army, marines, viet cong

Edit: forgot about the  Hessians  (ARW)

so ya there were a lot of units there and it was fun to walk around, see the demos, touch the gear, talk to them ect.

we had a Civil War era baseball game. We played with Civil war Era rules and bats, and balls, (NO gloves :) )

Also there was a tatical so the teams were,

german 2nd Mountain Division (they dressed up like zombies so they were nazi zombies)
Landsknecht
Vietnam troops, us. army, marines, viet cong
7th Maryland infantry
Vs.
Roses war
82 Airborne 506 pir pathfinders
war of 1812 maryland state milita
(they had the vietnam armord willys jeep with a .30cal on it)

they had the hill so we charged it and killed the hessians and some of the 1812 infantry. But then the Vietnam armod jeep came around and killed us all. But then the landkect and the germans took the hill and we won. So it was a great event

Spoiler
Welcome to FSE hun. Enjoy your stay on s.s. Duuring. Lifeboat is to be found on upper left corner as "log out". We wish you enjoy the journey. Thank you for choosing Dutch Sea For your vacation.
[close]

Offline Landrik

• First Lieutenant
  • Слава Україні!
    • View Profile
    • Infanterie-Regiment 208 (Reenacted)
  • Nick: Landrik
« Reply #471 on: April 22, 2013, 10:11:10 pm »
Love the multi-period events, hahaha! Opens it up for some great funny shit.
Humans are extremely complicated creatures. Death uncomplicates them to a frightening degree...

Offline munky-wunky

• Captain
  • Oh, I'm a good old rebel, Now thats just what I am
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: April 22, 2013, 10:16:12 pm »
ya it was not very sersious at all,  but it was one hell of awsome time
Spoiler
Welcome to FSE hun. Enjoy your stay on s.s. Duuring. Lifeboat is to be found on upper left corner as "log out". We wish you enjoy the journey. Thank you for choosing Dutch Sea For your vacation.
[close]

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: April 22, 2013, 11:20:17 pm »
My event in Almelo was simply great. It was well-organized, the visitors were super friendly, the battle was a lot of fun (Sunday, I died, then came back alive more or less, and crawled back to my line, holding onto my carbine. The public loved it.). The event was around 200 men and it was very international. We had groups from Britian (41st foot and Royal Artillery), Germany (KGL, 127e), France and Belgium, and of course the Netherlands. I can't possibly remember them all  :P

The atmosphere was surprisingly great - I even joined a night patrol of Dutch sailors (and we all deserted) and we had a rowing trip on the water, which was pretty genius as well as rather scary  ::). Particular one moment was great; Friday night, in the partytent, just after the music had stopped. People were still talking, and then someone started to sing the Chant de Depart, and one by one people joined, till pretty much half the tent or more was singing.
And after that song, a General, a very sympathetic German named Gunter, stepped forward, raised his bicorn and said: "Mon enfants! Allons enfant de la patrie...." and everybody joined La Marseillaise, and then the General shouted Vive L'empereur! And we all replied: "Vive L'empereur!" This was done two or three times, and it felt fantastic. The British replied with their 'God save the king! Huzzah!" and some friendly insults were thrown at each other. Even a few Orangists shouted 'Oranje boven!'

Saturday night we sang songs with other Dutch and Germans, and shared a bowl of soup (at 11:30 pm  :P) with some Belgians/French, as well as once again singing songs. Especially the meeting with those Belgians/French, the 1er Grenadiers, was awesome. Why? Because because we spoke barely French, and they spoke barely English or Dutch. We just used sign language and some simple words, and had a great time.

I could fill this box with all the great things that happened, but I think the sphere is something barely understandable in words.

One fun thing that happened after the battle of Sunday had ended: I had gotten 'wounded' in the arm (I crawled back a few times to try and be taken prisoner, and eventually some Orange Militia inspected the death. I rose up and presented myself to one of the Orangists, and he told me: "Well, get yourself to the rear. And go serve a sovereign ruler, instead of that imperial Rubbish!"

Offline Mr T

• Major General
  • Je Passe Quand Meme
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: April 22, 2013, 11:28:51 pm »
"Well, get yourself to the rear. And go serve a sovereign ruler, instead of that imperial Rubbish!"

Should've replied "Merde!" :D

And when I'm in events you can expect a lot of singing from me! :D

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: April 22, 2013, 11:29:35 pm »
Good, good!

I'm god-awful at singing, sadly. I'm a good listener, though...

Offline Mr T

• Major General
  • Je Passe Quand Meme
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: April 22, 2013, 11:32:48 pm »
I doubt I'm very good at singing either but by God I'll do it anyway xD

Offline König

• Major
  • A major König
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Koenig
« Reply #477 on: April 22, 2013, 11:55:03 pm »
"Well, get yourself to the rear. And go serve a sovereign ruler, instead of that imperial Rubbish!"
Yeah Duuring, go get yourself a real monarch. :P

I kid, I kid. Sounds like it was a good time.
I don't trust anything but pizza from a pizza place.

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: April 23, 2013, 01:36:00 am »
Sounds pretty fly bro
Of course, I also think lines should be able to move in double rank without having emotional breakdowns.

Offline MichaelJ.Caboose

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: April 23, 2013, 03:25:43 am »
I went to my first event at Neshaminy last weekend on Saturday and Sunday. First day wasn't that good because of a disappointing tactical. Saturday night was really cold, it went down to 35°F. But the second day was great, we stacked arms in front of the crowd and got ambushed by the Rebs. We formed a line but got pushed back a long way into the edge of the woods. We had a last stand while the Confederates charged at us. Was an awesome experience for my first event, now I'm really excited for Chancellorsville coming up in two weeks!  ;D

Here is a video my captain put up of the reenactment
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7gsJy59jSE&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 12:44:35 am by MichaelJ.Caboose »