Poll

New Melee system in the patch?

No I like this one.
Port old one over from MM
Design a new melee system
Use the one for BCoF

Author Topic: New melee system in new patch?  (Read 4694 times)

Offline Bonnyjoy

• Captain
  • Ex-Inmate of the 84e Prison
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Bonnyjoy
  • Side: Neutral
Re: New melee system in new patch?
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2013, 06:48:33 pm »
I would like a melee systeme which don't need 2,3 or 4 hits to kill, that will be enough for my  ;D

If you do it right you just do one stab and your enemy is dead :D

Offline Bashy

• Colonel
  • Welsh
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2013, 06:56:13 pm »
You'd be lucky if you got a new texture for bread.
"time flys like anything these days when old friends start to become faint memories in back of our heads" - Hairywarhero

Offline Mr. Kochi

• First Lieutenant
  • Baah! Baah baah, baah? Baah baah!
    • View Profile
    • The Skin Warehouse
  • Nick: Mr. James Koach
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2013, 08:07:44 pm »
I'll be honest, I am happy with the current melee system. I was horrible with the MM one, and getting a new one would render me useless for a week.

Now I would really like some patchwork regarding ping. Melee is way too ping-dependent, and there have been many occasions in which my character launches his stab like 3 seconds after I released the left mouse button, or not never launching the stab at all.

Granted, I have an average ping of 300 in euro servers (Thank you shitty Argentinian internet), but still, it is an issue to be taken into consideration.

Offline Thunderstormer

• FSE Developer
  • Worse than Hotler
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2013, 08:27:28 pm »
All the complaints of "speed".. surely that is governed by the Server Admin who has the "Slow" "Normal" "Fast" "Fastest" speed settings to chose from?
And thus is a community wide "acceptance" that Normal is the default and thus MUST be played as opposed to any problem from the development end?

If I remember correctly they balance the melee around medium speed.  I am guessing just turning the speed up/down would create imbalances between certain weapons.  Personally I felt melee was slowed down after this last patch so I wouldn't mind it being faster.

and the bounces, I wish those were fixed/gone. (especially for when someone gets de-horsed and they are laying on the ground.)
Should you need to talk to me regarding NA1 or or something regarding admining or the admins, PM me here on the forums and not on steam.  *

*This does not include Official Server Admins.

Offline Oposum

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2013, 09:36:46 pm »
All the complaints of "speed".. surely that is governed by the Server Admin who has the "Slow" "Normal" "Fast" "Fastest" speed settings to chose from?
And thus is a community wide "acceptance" that Normal is the default and thus MUST be played as opposed to any problem from the development end?
That's combat speed and indeed, Normal speed was one on which the game was tested and balanced (other speeds were added at release, they were never tested and have some bugs due to certain game constants not changing with weapon swing speed).
However, people are talking about turning or running speed which is NOT a server option.

I would like a melee systeme which don't need 2,3 or 4 hits to kill, that will be enough for my  ;D
Reason for that is that current stab damage calculations work poorly with low turning speeds, often resulting in seemingly random damage or bounces.

Offline Specimen

• Sergeant Major
  • Marche ou crève.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Specimen
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2013, 09:49:31 pm »
As a veteran from MM... I like the MM melee but NW released since April 2012, and i'd rather to use the NW melee, 2 days ago i was playing with ClaSh ( ClaSh... :-* <3' ) on MM, and i got killed twice or 3 times by some random guys, i got directly pissed of... :/ So... i prefer keep the NW melee, but.. if we all come back to MM, i'll stop raging about it and i'd be rather to use it then.

Offline Rollie

• Sergeant Major
  • Commander of the 7th Hussars
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 7th_Hussars_Cpt_Cavendish
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2013, 10:47:58 am »
The melee is fine in my opinion. Complaining about pokes? Use holds.

Offline Gokiller

• Almost Pride of Ni
  • Major General
  • Bydand in the chat lads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2013, 11:05:35 am »
The melee is fine in my opinion. Complaining about pokes? Use holds.

Hmm? It's just rather hard when you try to "down-stab" someone that it takes you several stabs before your opponent enemy dies. And with some bad luck your stabs bounch of from his uniform, you get stunned and stabbed while you can't do shit.

I'm not here to complain, though it's the truth. I really hope they can do something about it, to make down stabs a bit more useful. Then people now preferring the up-stab because it's "strength" and high chance of one hit kills

and no I don't think they should change it back to MM. It was great, but this melee system is good as well, it just need some minor changes to "fix/improve" it.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 11:09:17 am by Gokiller »

Offline Friedrich

• Donator
  • 84e. Est. 2010. Official Non-Regiment Hopper.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Friedrich
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2013, 11:16:33 am »
Perhaps actually having ramrods instead of trying to wave air down the barrel of the musket? Proper marching animations instead of the penguin waddle and musket being held correctly. A saluting animation of some kind. Options to edit uniforms slightly such as the choice between weapons of some units of certain factions such as the ability to where covers over shakos like they would have done, at times. More ingame regiments! (After all it is the Napoleonic Wars which were kind of a big deal - More variety would be awesome).

Just some small suggestions that would be awesome. Just little nuances  that would help immersion in my opinion.
+1
Yeah, this penguin waddle is really annoying, but I have no hope in new animations because they put most efforts in BCoF now.

Offline The Norseman

• Captain
    • View Profile
  • Nick: K-KA_Kpl_TheNorseman
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2013, 11:37:13 am »
God, I wish they would allow people to make their own banners in-game for everyone to see, not only the ones who have downloaded the same version, the same goes for unit textures.
The Norseman is my name in my name.

"Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience."

Offline Clarke

• Private
  • 2nd In Command of the 105e Voltigeur Compagnie
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 105e_Volt_Adj_Clark
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2013, 01:15:52 pm »
God, I wish they would allow people to make their own banners in-game for everyone to see, not only the ones who have downloaded the same version, the same goes for unit textures.

Same:/ I hope FSE will listen to our opinions on BCoF melee and animations, hopefully a lot of people get the beta so we can tell FSE what needs improving etc ;)

Offline UniversitasMetal

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2013, 02:13:07 pm »
I'll be honest, I am happy with the current melee system. I was horrible with the MM one, and getting a new one would render me useless for a week.

Now I would really like some patchwork regarding ping. Melee is way too ping-dependent, and there have been many occasions in which my character launches his stab like 3 seconds after I released the left mouse button, or not never launching the stab at all.

Granted, I have an average ping of 300 in euro servers (Thank you shitty Argentinian internet), but still, it is an issue to be taken into consideration.

Your ping problem is not something the devs can fix and You have 300 ping because you live in Argentina. Ping is relevant to your distance. You can use WTFAST to try to lower it though. It lowers mine from 170-180 to 140-150.

Offline MackCW

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2013, 02:18:07 pm »

I would try NA servers as well. Ping might be better.