Author Topic: Blood and Iron - General discussion.  (Read 271442 times)

Offline kpetschulat

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Petschie
  • Side: Union
Re: Blood and Iron - A Franco-Prussian War mod. (New Update page 29)
« Reply #480 on: April 12, 2013, 07:05:13 pm »
GG lines who use old formations and tactics.

Lol. I'd love to see the 1stEPI in this mod. Walking around the field, getting sniped from 300m. THEN they run when they're "line" is down to two or three dudes from the 20 they had.  ;D ;D

Offline Willhelm

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Blood&Iron
  • Nick: 32nd_Gdm_William
« Reply #481 on: April 12, 2013, 07:33:29 pm »
That's what happened a lot at the start of the war though.

Offline SeanBeansShako

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: April 12, 2013, 07:34:31 pm »
Lets not beat around the bush, you won't be able to do line battles with this mod.

You'd have to think up a new event with an entirely new rule set.
Its about the same accuracy as NaS and we do lb with that, we just stand further away =)

In my opinion, I really think the N&S Smoothbore muskets are waaaay too accurate.

They're rifled muskets in N&S, i think their accuracy is good but i don't think it should be that bad with bayonets.

I still think the accuracy should be dialed down just a tiny bit more and accuracy with the bayonets to go up a little. But neither will happen now.

Offline Willhelm

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Blood&Iron
« Reply #483 on: April 12, 2013, 07:35:44 pm »
Lets not beat around the bush, you won't be able to do line battles with this mod.

You'd have to think up a new event with an entirely new rule set.
Its about the same accuracy as NaS and we do lb with that, we just stand further away =)

In my opinion, I really think the N&S Smoothbore muskets are waaaay too accurate.

They're rifled muskets in N&S, i think their accuracy is good but i don't think it should be that bad with bayonets.

I still think the accuracy should be dialed down just a tiny bit more and accuracy with the bayonets to go up a little. But neither will happen now.

If you put the accuracy in N&S down it just becomes NWs with different tactics, they're already only a bit more accurate than in NWs and they're rifled, so they shouldn't be the same.

More prussians advancing in line

Offline ProfTournesol

• Corporal
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #484 on: April 12, 2013, 07:48:26 pm »
Yes, this was definitely a transitional war between 18/19th century "line" battles and 20th century ones. German Lines were wiped out by the accuracy of the French Chassepot, while French troops were crushed by German modern artillery. Cavalry charges were very ineffective and most of the heavy cavalry regiments who were engaged were destroyed, while in the second part of the war the cavalry role evolved toward a simple recon and harassment task (Uhlans were seen everywhere and are still remembered in France).

Offline von_Bismarck

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: April 12, 2013, 07:57:52 pm »
Yes, this was definitely a transitional war between 18/19th century "line" battles and 20th century ones. German Lines were wiped out by the accuracy of the French Chassepot, while French troops were crushed by German modern artillery. Cavalry charges were very ineffective and most of the heavy cavalry regiments who were engaged were destroyed, while in the second part of the war the cavalry role evolved toward a simple recon and harassment task (Uhlans were seen everywhere and are still remembered in France).

Cavalry charges were not ineffective despite the technology, just look at the Battle of Mars-la-Tour, 30.000 prussian cuirassiers crushed  127.000 french troops.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Mars-la-Tour

To Willhelm:
We are talking about the gameplay, not about what happened in the historical war.
In the game no one will make a linebattle will all that technology out there!  :)

Offline Willhelm

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Blood&Iron
« Reply #486 on: April 12, 2013, 08:18:39 pm »

Cavalry charges were not ineffective despite the technology, just look at the Battle of Mars-la-Tour, 30.000 prussian cuirassiers crushed  127.000 french troops.

To Willhelm:
We are talking about the gameplay, not about what happened in the historical war.
In the game no one will make a linebattle will all that technology out there!  :)

I hope some people do, just to see how easily they get destroyed.

Offline ProfTournesol

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: April 12, 2013, 08:44:02 pm »

Lol, nope, certainly not 30 000 cuirassiers... Moreover on both sides, cuirassier regiments were almost annihilated at Mars La tour.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 08:45:37 pm by ProfTournesol »

Offline Willhelm

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Blood&Iron
« Reply #488 on: April 12, 2013, 08:48:44 pm »
They had the numbers to reach the enemy but they still lost far more men than what their gains were worth.

Offline von_Bismarck

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: April 12, 2013, 09:14:46 pm »
Von Bredow's death ride "was perhaps the last successful cavalry charge in Western European warfare."[1
- Wikipedia.

The latest successful cavalry charges in the modern european warfare occurred in the franco-prussian war.

(And yes, even more modern than the American Civil war, as there were machine guns in this one)

Offline Willhelm

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Blood&Iron
« Reply #490 on: April 12, 2013, 09:27:54 pm »
Von Bredow's death ride "was perhaps the last successful cavalry charge in Western European warfare."[1
- Wikipedia.

The latest successful cavalry charges in the modern european warfare occurred in the franco-prussian war.

(And yes, even more modern than the American Civil war, as there were machine guns in this one)

It was more of an ambush though, and they still lost half their men.

Offline von_Bismarck

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: April 12, 2013, 09:35:10 pm »
- Wikipedia.

It was more of an ambush though, and they still lost half their men.

Well, yes, a pyrrhic victory.

Offline Draken193

• Captain
  • I like turtles
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Draken
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #492 on: April 12, 2013, 09:41:17 pm »
It looks very nice , good luck :)

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: April 12, 2013, 10:24:16 pm »
Swaying between being the Garde du Korps or being a landwerh unit.
Of course, I also think lines should be able to move in double rank without having emotional breakdowns.

Offline Willhelm

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Blood&Iron
« Reply #494 on: April 12, 2013, 11:35:43 pm »
Millander asked to see the Guards and Landwehr

Guards
Spoiler

[close]

Landwehr
Spoiler

[close]