Author Topic: TJR: The Jacobites Rising[M]. 43rd Highlander pg. 78  (Read 153517 times)

Offline Willhelm

• Donator
    • View Profile
    • Blood&Iron
  • Nick: 32nd_Gdm_William
  • Side: Union
Re: TJR: The Jacobites Rising [M] Plug Bayonets Confirmed pg 35
« Reply #525 on: March 25, 2013, 11:31:52 pm »
So you can never shoot again?
I thought plug bayonets could be taken out still.

Offline Bad_Highlander

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #526 on: March 25, 2013, 11:36:27 pm »

Nope :) Not until you die and respawn. (or even pick up another that is bare) Jacobites rarely shot more than once in battle.  One fire > Fix > Charge. Is basically how they did it.

^^He's Right^^

Offline Althalus

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Althalus
« Reply #527 on: March 25, 2013, 11:37:06 pm »

They could. With extreme difficulty.
At the time, a charge was considered the final part of a battle. Therefore, the bayonets would onty be removed after battle, if at all.
It could take (for an raw recruit) up to 15 seconds to attach them, so... To remove, you were talking about a few minutes. The length of attachment is part of the reason the scots won a lot of crazy victories.
It'll also add an interesting dynamic to the game, where a player will have to weigh up the advantages of a bayonet against future shooting.
And when you die and drop a musket, it will stay in bayonet mode. It's actually an entirely different item.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 06:39:41 pm by Althalus »

Offline Bad_Highlander

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: March 26, 2013, 12:29:19 am »
^^ Basically what i meant in more detail ;) ha

^^He's Right^^

Offline TheBoberton

• Knight of Blueberry
  • Colonel
  • I don't want no pardon for anything I done
    • View Profile
    • Thomas' Steam Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #529 on: March 26, 2013, 04:05:05 am »
I presume there'll be some option to turn the musket around and use it as a club, correct? It would hardly be any fun to lose an entire 'regiment' because one guy managed to sneak up and attack them with a bayonet while they're entirely helpless.

Offline Viktor 90th

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: March 26, 2013, 09:38:47 am »
I presume there'll be some option to turn the musket around and use it as a club, correct? It would hardly be any fun to lose an entire 'regiment' because one guy managed to sneak up and attack them with a bayonet while they're entirely helpless.
At the start of the round you spawn with a bare musket. It can shoot and bludgeon. You don't have the bayonet for your musket as a weapon in your inventory. Some factions will have sabres in their inventory, depending on the historical faction.
and then you can fix a bayonet.

also in the discussion about removing them.
I used these images as a base, but as you can see, if you were to try and remove this quickly it'd be a pain.
(This is a better designed British one, some foreign bayonets had not a external handle at all, you'd be trying to remove a blade from being stuck in your rifle Musket with a bare hand..)
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 09:50:04 am by Viktor 90th »

Offline Docm30

• First Lieutenant
  • Retired.
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: March 26, 2013, 09:52:57 am »
I don't know. I can't find an image of a plug bayonet without a guard, and I can't imagine one with a guard being hard to remove; it's just a piece of wood jammed into a tube. A good yank ought to free it pretty easily. Even if it was too tight to remove with your hand, it'd be easy with your foot.

I've never personally used a plug bayonet, but I really don't see why they couldn't be removed at will.

Offline zac

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: March 26, 2013, 09:56:24 am »
after firing a few time the gun can go a bit soft, i dont know but u would have to fire atleast 10 times for it to make the plug stick, which is highly unlikely , but i do understand having the plug not come out, would be an interesting twist
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 10:03:32 am by zac »

Offline Viktor 90th

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: March 26, 2013, 10:02:52 am »
Considering so far what the scottish and irish jacobites have, it'd be fairer to balance for them to be not remove-able.
and i'm pretty sure the russians were the ones with no grip. i'll look into it.
anyway, once steam starts cooperating i'l post some screenshots.
This was a ten minute challenge i gave myself last night, probably unlikely that it will make it into the mod without a little polish.
Default shooting mode.
Spoiler
[close]
Blunt Mode.
Spoiler
[close]
New plug bayonet, See above for quality issues.
Spoiler
[close]
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 10:14:35 am by Viktor 90th »

Offline Emperor Napoleon

• Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 1erMar/IrishNap
Re: TJR: The Jacobites Rising [M] Plug Bayonets With Pictures, Pg36
« Reply #534 on: March 26, 2013, 11:02:44 am »
I think I can say this for everyone, I cant wait to get into this!!!

Offline Althalus

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Althalus
« Reply #535 on: March 26, 2013, 11:25:34 am »
Think of it this way.
The plug bayonet was designed to be used to stab people. Human flesh is easy to pierce, but it grabs onto any relatively dry foreign body with incredible strength, adding a huge amount of inertia.
Since the plug bayonet was a plug, it had to grip the iside of the barrel extremely well to keep from being pulled out when it was removed from the dead guy's body.

Offline Scorpia

• First Lieutenant
  • You know who I am.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Scorpia the Great
« Reply #536 on: March 26, 2013, 03:14:17 pm »
I think I can say this for everyone, I cant wait to get into this!!!
Nuh huh. I don't want to get into this, I just want to play it. I always found that a dirty saying.

The bayonets look good, you're doing a good job dare.

Offline 37th Batman

• Volunteer
  • The South Will Rise Again!!!!!!
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #537 on: March 26, 2013, 07:21:23 pm »
My Lt Col told me you are looking for French and Dutch voice actors. Well I'm english and I have lived in France for 7 years so I have aquired a fluent level in French. I would love to voice act for this mod because I feel that I could use my unique talent for somthing useful

Offline Hawkes

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: March 26, 2013, 08:18:33 pm »
My Lt Col told me you are looking for French and Dutch voice actors. Well I'm english and I have lived in France for 7 years so I have aquired a fluent level in French. I would love to voice act for this mod because I feel that I could use my unique talent for somthing useful

I don't think it's just about being fluent in French, it's about having 'the voice'.

- I may be totally wrong, but just my 2 ce--... Pence.  :)

Offline Audiate

• World's Worst
  • Major General
  • FREEZE, PUNK!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: the mic rula; the old schoola
« Reply #539 on: March 26, 2013, 09:01:01 pm »
Spoiler

I don't think it's just about being fluent in French, it's about having 'the voice'.
[close]
- I may be totally wrong, but just my 2 ce--... Pence.  :)

No, you're totally right. The reason I've been much less active on the forums, in-game, on Steam, etc., is my development of Sovereign: Colonies. I've been talking to a few teams of indie developers who have been helping me assess the costs to make the game, as well as what can be done in it. Literally HUNDREDS of topics over a few teams and I, some of which on the topic of game appeal and theme, has really reinforced my perception of voice acting. Alike any other art, indeed voice acting is an art, an abundance of preparation, practice, character, and so on goes into every professionally acted dialogue line. It's much more than knowing a language, or accent, or voice, but putting emotion into making quality work is what makes voice actors actors.