Author Topic: Feedback  (Read 45741 times)

Offline kpetschulat

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Petschie
  • Side: Union
Re: Feedback and suggestions.
« Reply #60 on: June 05, 2013, 05:18:29 pm »
Leave everything how it is now. Don't feed the kids that can't eat themselves. (Don't change the mechanics, just because a few people don't know how to play with them.) They need to learn how.

Offline Archduke Sven

• Brigadier General
  • I have over 1000 warning points, be careful.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: regimentless sven
« Reply #61 on: June 05, 2013, 06:53:20 pm »
Leave everything how it is now. Don't feed the kids that can't eat themselves. (Don't change the mechanics, just because a few people don't know how to play with them.) They need to learn how.
So your solution to starvation is to eat yourself?

Nice to see people are back to referring to each other as "kids" again  :)

And if you are so smart yourself why not teach people how you are supposed to do it. Because im pretty sure killing a horse with a rifle butt isn't realistic despite you emphasizing that one hit on a human would do the job saying its realistic, why don't you go try that on a horse?

Point is that the Bayonet as it stands, is quite useless in my opinion other than looking stylish, not saying you should buff the bayonet because at this time it was largely only symbolic, but rather nerf the rifle stock.

told that bih don't @ me

Offline von_Bismarck

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #62 on: June 05, 2013, 07:04:35 pm »
The importance of the bayonet in NW and this mod has always been unrealistic. As early as in the american civil war the bayonet was responsible for less than 1% of the casualties.

Offline Willhelm

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Blood&Iron
  • Nick: 32nd_Gdm_William
« Reply #63 on: June 05, 2013, 07:05:51 pm »

And if you are so smart yourself why not teach people how you are supposed to do it. Because im pretty sure killing a horse with a rifle butt isn't realistic despite you emphasizing that one hit on a human would do the job saying its realistic, why don't you go try that on a horse?

Point is that the Bayonet as it stands, is quite useless in my opinion other than looking stylish, not saying you should buff the bayonet because at this time it was largely only symbolic, but rather nerf the rifle stock.

Yes i am going to look into rebalancing the rifle butt which may or may not include lowering the damage.
Bayonets were definitely not symbolic at this time though, the French still favoured the tactic of deadly bayonet charges, which the Prussians were terrified of, and this was the age of large sword bayonets as you may have noticed, very long.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sword_bayonet

The importance of the bayonet in NW and this mod has always been unrealistic. As early as in the american civil war the bayonet was responsible for less than 1% of the casualties.

Just going off what I've learnt of the war I'd estimate bayonets had a larger role to play, we Europeans quite liked stabbing each other, and of course cavalry has still charging a lot, von bredow's death ride for example.

Offline kpetschulat

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 05, 2013, 07:12:12 pm »

FYI... you CAN kill a horse with a rifle butt in real life. It works the same as a human. Crack them over the head hard enough, and you could cause the same things that I mentioned before. Nice try at trying to make me look like a fool. Instead, you're the fool. :)

Offline von_Bismarck

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 05, 2013, 07:13:33 pm »

Just going off what I've learnt of the war I'd estimate bayonets had a larger role to play, we Europeans quite liked stabbing each other, and of course cavalry has still charging a lot, von bredow's death ride for example.
Von Bredow's death ride is the finest proof that cavalry still has a big role in such a modern war like the franco-prussian war.
I am not denying that there weren't bayonet charges, infact there were loads but in most of the cases one of the factions run away before there were any combat. Which demonstrates their fear to such weapons.

Kpet@ Oh.. the arrogance...

Offline kpetschulat

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 05, 2013, 07:17:04 pm »
Kpet@ Oh.. the arrogance...

How am I being arrogant, when I'm literally saying what's true...  :o I think the worst part is that you people fail to understand that realistically, a rifle butt can do extreme damage. It all depends on the user, and where you hit someone. Can you survive a concussive blow to the head? Absolutely, but the chance of that is very small. Even if you do survive, the chance of you living for more than five minutes is very small, due to hemorrhaging. So, if you'd be so kind as to explain how I am being arrogant, rather than trying to incite another flame war with me, I'd appreciate it.

You clearly don't like me, and I have never done anything to you. So, rather than you being ignorant, go ahead an enlighten me as to how I am being arrogant.  ::)

Offline von_Bismarck

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 05, 2013, 07:41:22 pm »

In the game you won't die from hemorrhage, your argument is invalid. We're saying that the rifle's butt damage is unrealistically high at the point where you can hit someone in the back and kill him from a single hit. A blow to the head is very reasonable for so much damage, however, a blow to the back, shoulders or any part of the body is not.

Spoiler
You clearly don't like me
We agree on that.
[close]

Offline Willhelm

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Blood&Iron
  • Nick: 32nd_Gdm_William
« Reply #68 on: June 05, 2013, 08:31:44 pm »
Von Bredow's death ride is the finest proof that cavalry still has a big role in such a modern war like the franco-prussian war.
Unfortunately that isn't true, it's funny you should say that though, as that is exactly what military leaders of the time thought seeing the success of that charge, and continued to use cavalry in war for decades after, which didn't prove so successful. In actual fact the charge was just very lucky due to French disorganization and foggy weather.

Also I don't know how much of a success losing 50% of your force can be.

Offline von_Bismarck

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 05, 2013, 08:45:53 pm »
Unfortunately that isn't true, it's funny you should say that though, as that is exactly what military leaders of the time thought seeing the success of that charge, and continued to use cavalry in war for decades after, which didn't prove so successful. In actual fact the charge was just very lucky due to French disorganization and foggy weather.

Also I don't know how much of a success losing 50% of your force can be.
It was a pyrrhic victory, still a victory and a glorious one.
The cavalry charges still had success after the franco-prussian war, though in a limited context.

Second Boer War
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Elandslaagte

The 5th lancers charge against the boers.

Offline kpetschulat

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 05, 2013, 09:25:54 pm »
...your argument is invalid.

Oh, golly. I love it when people say this. You CAN still die from getting hit in the back. Ever hear of spinal rupture? No? When you get hit in the back, the is a chance that your spine can literally break apart. Your spine is the highway for your body's nervous system, sent from the brain. If your spine is ruptured, broken, or cracked, you can become paralyzed, temporarily incapacitated, or even die. Please, I know what I'm talking about here von_Bismarck. I was forced to take an anatomy class in University.

So, bear with me here, especially since I'm taking a logical stand against this issue. I truly think the speed and damage should be left as is. If you're too bad to block a slow swing from a rifle butt, that's your problem, not the mods problem. Either learn to play, deal with it, or don't play at all. Simple.

Offline Archduke Sven

• Brigadier General
  • I have over 1000 warning points, be careful.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: regimentless sven
« Reply #71 on: June 05, 2013, 09:49:18 pm »
I don't think you understand the problem here. The problem isn't that people are bad at the game and cannot block, which you seem to think everyone else is...

The problem is that the Rifle Butt is a better melee weapon than the Bayonet right now, and that is what has to be changed, since as i said earlier, the bayonet is only for looks now. Although you can use it, you can do everything you can with a bayonet, with a rifle stock, and you don't get the penalties of having a bayonet on your gun.

told that bih don't @ me

Offline kpetschulat

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 05, 2013, 10:40:46 pm »
Actually, that's wrong. The bayonet is faster, much faster, and does superior damage. The bayonet is good against cavalry, sometimes infantry. Similar to how it was back then. The bayonet was ineffective against infantry, due to the accuracy of the guns. A bayonet charge would do little to nothing, even if the charge hit the enemy. I'm saying to leave it how it is, because it comes down to this: Longer ranged pike, close range club. That's exactly what was going through the minds of the soldiers back then.

Also, the bayonet was a fear weapon. You wanted to scare your enemy? Then you fixed your bayonet.

Offline Korbal

• Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 05, 2013, 11:03:31 pm »
Although some would burn me alive for this i would suggest to remove loading while moving. The Dreyse had a sensitve pin which would often
break during stress. As such moving while opening the champer could damage the pin very fast. Similiar to the Chassepot rifle.

Offline von_Bismarck

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 05, 2013, 11:07:38 pm »
Although some would burn me alive for this i would suggest to remove loading while moving. The Dreyse had a sensitve pin which would often
break during stress. As such moving while opening the champer could damage the pin very fast. Similiar to the Chassepot rifle.
No.
Will you be able to reload while moving?, as the franco-prussian war was just 9 years from the Anglo Zulu war I am wondering..  ???

Yes you can, i asked some people who own bolt actions to try it and they said though could.