Author Topic: Blood and Iron - General discussion.  (Read 271443 times)

Offline MilfAndCookies

• Donator
  • Colonel of the 43rd
    • View Profile
  • Nick: MilfAndCookies
  • Side: Neutral
Good to see that you are still working on this Will. :)

Offline TORN

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: TORN
Looks great can't wait for this! Any idea of a realease date or Alpha release?  ???
alpha has been released.

It is only closed  ;)

Offline GoblinOverlord

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: GoblinOverlord
  • Side: Confederacy
I think he means the open one...... Can't wait!!!  :D

Offline Willhelm

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Blood&Iron
  • Nick: 32nd_Gdm_William
  • Side: Union
There won't be an open Alpha, I'm not releasing an unfinished mod, there will just be a release.

Offline James Grant

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
I've never understood the purpose of open alpha's. Has always seemed a silly prospect.

Offline Docm30

• First Lieutenant
  • Retired.
    • View Profile
So you can get constant and early feedback. Worked for Counter-Strike.

Offline James Grant

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
Well it can work, but it can also go against you. Some people are so fickle that they'll not be impressed by the alpha and so never give any time for the full release.

I'm not one of those people, but some are.

Offline Comrade Temuzu

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
What makes you think we'd want filthy casuals like that playing the mod?

Offline Rigadoon

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Rigadoon
I've never understood the purpose of open alpha's. Has always seemed a silly prospect.

It's a good way of killing your mod off quick. The success of a MP mod is all about how good the first public release is. Released mods get its first two weeks of fame and full servers. If the mod isn't good enough to keep people interested, the playerbase falls apart. You can release patches and updates, popularity might rise up a bit, but it'll never be what it was before and even then, it's only for a couple days. Eventually nobody plays the mod, and the hours of hardwork into creating it becomes meaningless. Then people finally figure out that it's not a good idea to constantly harass and pressure modders into releasing their mods earlier.

Offline Landrik

• First Lieutenant
  • Слава Україні!
    • View Profile
    • Infanterie-Regiment 208 (Reenacted)
  • Nick: Landrik
  • Side: Confederacy

It's a good way of killing your mod off quick. The success of a MP mod is all about how good the first public release is. Released mods get its first two weeks of fame and full servers. If the mod isn't good enough to keep people interested, the playerbase falls apart. You can release patches and updates, popularity might rise up a bit, but it'll never be what it was before and even then, it's only for a couple days. Eventually nobody plays the mod, and the hours of hardwork into creating it becomes meaningless. Then people finally figure out that it's not a good idea to constantly harass and pressure modders into releasing their mods earlier.

+1

I'd rather it come out in full glory. Besides, with the few regiments that are in alpha right now, I think Wil is getting all the feedback he needs right now.
Humans are extremely complicated creatures. Death uncomplicates them to a frightening degree...

Offline Willhelm

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Blood&Iron
  • Nick: 32nd_Gdm_William

This, I don't want everyone to go and play the alpha and then when the finished version is released have everyone be like "Meh, I've already played it". Especially considering an alpha at this point would be very near to complete so any release would just be like a patch.

And yes, I've got plenty of feedback from the closed alpha.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 05:20:05 pm by Willhelm »

Offline SeanBeansShako

• Major
    • View Profile

It is hard to beta test a multiplayer game or mod with one person or system type.

Offline Rigadoon

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Rigadoon

It is hard to beta test a multiplayer game or mod with one person or system type.

That's why you get 20-100 people to who you know are actually going to test and report issues. Or you can make an open alpha...and still get 20-100 people who report issues while everybody else just fools around. It works for large games but in my opinion it's silly for mods and small indie games.

Offline Bacon

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
WIP jst a random map that poppped up in my head.

Spoiler
[close]

Offline Reverse

• Second Lieutenant
  • Rule Britannia!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Reverse
WIP jst a random map that poppped up in my head.

Spoiler
[close]
Thats great!