Author Topic: Six-horses in artillery train  (Read 3383 times)

Offline Ivkolya

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Ivkolya
  • Side: Neutral
Six-horses in artillery train
« on: February 21, 2015, 03:33:28 am »
Hi all, there is a question: I want to make artillery train with 6 horses, and I think that easiest way is to copy mesh of horse and in OpenBrf with command "roto-translate-rescale" to move copies of mesh of horse to 1,000 in X (right) and than this two meshes to 2,500 and 5,000 in Z (forward). But here comes a problem: animation of the right mesh is almoust normal (some issues with right legs), but animation of meshes I moved forward is terrible.
So here is a question: how can I move mesh in OpenBrf without deformation of animation?

And if you have any other ideas how to make artillery train with six horses - it will be great if you write it here:)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 10:43:40 am by Ivkolya »

Offline Ivkolya

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
Re: Six-horses in artillery train
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 03:36:47 pm »
Or at least anybody can tell, is it possible in game to make chariots of artillery train with more than two horses?

Offline Willhelm

• Donator
    • View Profile
    • Blood&Iron
  • Nick: 32nd_Gdm_William
  • Side: Union
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 11:52:24 am »
Not entirely sure but you might need to play the scene prop mm_spawn_with_cannon

You can make more than 2 horses but only one horse, the original, will have a collision mesh.

Offline Ivkolya

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2015, 05:21:23 am »
Thank you for answer.
I thought that somehow in module system I can place five more horses and give them coordinates relatively to cannon wood, but I still can't find it in module system, will try  more)

Offline MaHuD

• Major
    • View Profile
    • Reveran
  • Nick: MaHuD
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2015, 10:54:48 pm »
It's perfectly possible to add extra horses (As you can see here in a demonstration video of a Horse Chariot I was making once) just spawn them in and teleport them around relative to the main horse.
however, this is not recommend for multiplayer with too many players (it can get laggy) and you would also need to make a collision detection. for all of the horses combined. (Else some of your horses can end up in buildings, and that will look ugly)
[18:51] <Evanovic> Mahud can I nominate you for best villian 2013?

Offline Ivkolya

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 01:50:33 am »
It's perfectly possible to add extra horses (As you can see here in a demonstration video of a Horse Chariot I was making once) just spawn them in and teleport them around relative to the main horse.
however, this is not recommend for multiplayer with too many players (it can get laggy) and you would also need to make a collision detection. for all of the horses combined. (Else some of your horses can end up in buildings, and that will look ugly)

It's great and just what I need! Thank you a lot!  :o
But here is another question - how can I do all that - add extra horses, spawn them and teleport around relative to main horse? Where is it in module system, in scripts? Unfortunatelly, I'm not a bit scripter, never dealed with anything like scripts, so it is difficult to me :(

Offline MaHuD

• Major
    • View Profile
    • Reveran
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 09:11:05 pm »
Do you have the module system and such set up?

Offline Ivkolya

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2015, 11:50:50 pm »
Yes, of course I have it :) But I still have very small knowledge about how to write scripts, I try to learn myself but it is very slow process, now I can only add new items and troops..

Look, maybe you can write a tutorial about it? (just name files you changed and what part of your code must be added and where, or what must be changed in these files)
I'm sure it will be very useful tutorial and a lot of moders will appreciate it.

Offline MaHuD

• Major
    • View Profile
    • Reveran
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2015, 11:58:52 pm »
I wouldn't know how to do the collision detection and for 6 horses that is going to be very important, unless it's only for the purpose of making a movie or something.

In any case, I edited the module_mission_templates as well some other files to add special slots to store the speed of the horse, to which chariot they were linked to etc. etc.
First I spawned horses infront of every chariot scene prop, then I made a trigger for every 0.25 or so that modified the location of the horse based upon the chariot and changed the animation of the horse to that of a running horse. Likewise the chariot itself is also changed by it's position and I mapped some keys to increase/decrease it's speed or make it turn left or right.

Offline Ivkolya

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2015, 11:37:32 am »
Thank you :)
And how do you think, will it work if I add 5 more horse animations and 5 more horseman animations - for each horse in train? 'Cause I don't know how to make my own script or trigger for spawn or teleportation, plus so there must still remain the same collision meshes of original NW, I think.

Offline MaHuD

• Major
    • View Profile
    • Reveran
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2015, 06:33:05 pm »
you want someone sitting on every horse? That makes it easier, as you might be able to get away with ordering them to move to specific locations, but that still doesn't solve the collision problem. And the horses would start spreading out slightly and not going exactly where you want if you give them move orders as opposed to changing their xyz locations.

Offline Ivkolya

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2015, 09:06:29 pm »
Yes, I want make for Commander Battle mode 3 bots sitting on right horses like here
Spoiler
it's me in the middle by the way:))
[close]
and commander will ride on his own horse (but also I want to make artillery crew of 2-3 bots to command them, where they must shoot from cannon for more realism, but I have no idea how to realize this idea  :(), but I wish player also will be able to sit on one of horses or on each of these 3 right horses.
But now it seems I'll just leave artillery as it is in NW already (which is not so bad variant), unless I'll find great scripter who will help me or I will learn scripting myself, but it will take forever:)

Offline MaHuD

• Major
    • View Profile
    • Reveran
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2015, 10:11:36 pm »
commander battles are usually on random maps right? in which case you wouldn't really need a collision detection. I mean it will look ugly if you pass through trees or players, but it's not as bad as going through buildings. :P

Offline Ivkolya

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2015, 08:24:59 am »
Agree :)
Artillery trains are also used in battles nd sieges but if it will be too difficult - cannons can be static on these maps