Author Topic: Reenacting stories  (Read 7877 times)

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
Reenacting stories
« on: April 15, 2013, 08:29:35 am »
Post your reenacting stories. epic, funny whatever.

This is of my first battle at my last event. Inthe first battle I took the most hits of anybody in my entire company.

We were going down the road facing the Rebel lines. I decided to take a perma hit (stay dead) because I had already taken a couple temp hits (come back up). I went down face first into the dirt road. Our line was falling back and I was acting that I was attempting to crawl back to them screaming in pain (in full view of my unit and the rebs). I turned over and began clawing at the coat acting as if I was trying to find my wound. I noticed the reb line in front of me was about to take aim and I decided if any of them aimed for me I would pretend I was shot. Of course 4 of them or so aim lower than the others at me and fire. I pretend I was shot and ly there for a couple minutes.

Then a rebel medic comes to the guys around me and I act wounded. As he comes up to me I say something along the lines of I dont need no help from a dam reb. He tells me to die and as he turns around I beging to plead with him to help me. he gives me some water and asks me if I will live. I tell him no and my last words is for him to go to hell.  shit was swag
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 12:20:25 am by Millander »
Of course, I also think lines should be able to move in double rank without having emotional breakdowns.

Offline Landrik

• First Lieutenant
  • Слава Україні!
    • View Profile
    • Infanterie-Regiment 208 (Reenacted)
  • Nick: Landrik
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: Reenacting stories
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 06:41:59 pm »
I live that life.

Doing an Eastern Front tactical in tick infested woods in 90 degree weather and we were outnumbered 2-1 and had a rather large area to watch over so we split up in groups of two to act as a point of contact and the others would sprint towards the action and engage the enemy.
So I was on the far left flank and heard gunfire to my left and rear, meaning one of the center groups had been engaged. So I ran up there with my guy and gunned down quite a few of them until we were ran up on by two Russians with PPShs. Laying dead there, the two guys let down their guard and my dad stormed in with his G-43 (untapped without a blank adapter, so he has to pull back the bolt each time he fires) and gunned the two down as well as the others that made their way over to us.
It was great because no one saw or heard him until he jumped up and ran into them, "Bang bang bang bang bang!" and all of them were dropped, haha.

Had a lot of great moments at WWI events, but this one takes the cake (there are others that are worthy of mention, but I'd be going on all day).

First time out doing WWI and myself and my dad were a two-man wrecking crew, just eating up allied squads who were attacking our trenches and ambushing pickets out in no-mans-land. So night falls and its time for raids on both sides, we end up sneaking our way into some abandoned trenches and walk up the line, managing to take out pickets and men in the bunkers without a shot fired (knife hands for the win) and I seize an opportunity when I manage to split up from my father and get to the allied command bunker all by myself avoiding sentries and soldiers moving about. So I get there and open the door, walking casually in saying "grenade, boom, you're all dead". So we drink for a little while and joke around and the Colonel was impressed I got in no bullshit and recommended me for a medal for my achievements. I was all like, "That's cool" and made my way all stealthily back to our lines scared shitless I was going to get shot (if I did I wouldn't present the recommendation to the commander) but sure enough I did and he awarded me a EKII on the spot.

So once I get voted in to my unit I may be awarded the Eiserne Kreuz II Klasse (Iron Cross second class) or Württemburgische Ritter Kreuz (Wüttemburg's Knight's Cross, Rommel was awarded one).
Humans are extremely complicated creatures. Death uncomplicates them to a frightening degree...

Offline munky-wunky

• Captain
  • Oh, I'm a good old rebel, Now thats just what I am
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 07:33:46 pm »
ha ha thats awsome.

At the 148th Ceder Creek There was a 5am tatical that only a few brave souls showed up.  So we (a mixture of my and 2 other companies)  moved out. We then deployed 10 skirmishers to find the rebs becasue we could only see 20 feet in front of us. We had to cross a small creek which was freezing so nobody was happy about that. but it was the most Civil War" Moment that i have ever had.  There was some small exchaging of fire but then we get to the rebs camp and realize that only ten of them where  up for this. So we then went  near there camp and fired a few volleys at them. (to wake all those lazy sleeping rebs up). Then did a quick retreat back to camp just in time for morning inspection and we all failed becasue of are dirty muskets.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 07:44:44 pm by munk »
Spoiler
Welcome to FSE hun. Enjoy your stay on s.s. Duuring. Lifeboat is to be found on upper left corner as "log out". We wish you enjoy the journey. Thank you for choosing Dutch Sea For your vacation.
[close]

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • This blamed fight aint got a rear
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 11:05:25 pm »
At 150th Perryville, our Brigade was ordered to rest and allow the Cavalry to scout ahead. They were engaged immediately and Artillery was brought in. Turns out entire rebs brigade was going on full-on charge mode to our Artillery hill with determination to take it. Our Brigade was ordered into the skirmish which became a bloody struggle. Companies were spilt up a bit and one got cocky and went ahead to lead the counter attack which no one want to.. They of course, were shot to pieces and only few returned. Then my company was ordered to move with several other companies because the rebs were flanking us. We moved on double quick to engage them but this action put us into the open field of Reb artillery range. Half of my company went down together by a single shell. And we retreated on the double and I was killed in process of the retreat. When the reb came by me. They let out a loud rebel yell as they charged. It was freaking awesome and the first time I've heard the Rebel Yell.

Offline Mr. Kochi

• First Lieutenant
  • Baah! Baah baah, baah? Baah baah!
    • View Profile
    • The Skin Warehouse
  • Nick: Mr. James Koach
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 06:40:39 pm »
A little anecdote from last month's reenactment down here.

We were told to show up about 2 hours earlier for a pre-event practice. We marched down a hill over to our practice grounds, away from the public on the top.

Thing is, we did not notice a dog had a serious shit on the road down, and we marched, in column, all over that shit.  We had to stop the training 10 minutes earlier to go clean our shoes. Not bad for a 1st reenactment, eh?

Offline KillerMongoose

• Major
  • "And I believe I have cut your throat"- Fiore
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Wryngwyrm
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 04:00:54 pm »
Although I haven't done reenacting before, I remember going to a Civil War reenactment when I was younger and sitting with the guys in the Confederate "trench" before the battle started and they taught me how to load and shoot a musket and taught me all about their gear and told me all sorts of cool stories. They were really nice guys and it spurred my interest in musket age warfare. I still remember not realizing I was near the cannon and then hearing it go off :P

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 04:10:03 pm »
Although I haven't done reenacting before, I remember going to a Civil War reenactment when I was younger and sitting with the guys in the Confederate "trench" before the battle started and they taught me how to load and shoot a musket and taught me all about their gear and told me all sorts of cool stories. They were really nice guys and it spurred my interest in musket age warfare. I still remember not realizing I was near the cannon and then hearing it go off :P

That's what all artillerymen like to do.

To quote a fellow Hussar: "I've never met an artilleryman, in any period, who doesn't like big booms"

Offline munky-wunky

• Captain
  • Oh, I'm a good old rebel, Now thats just what I am
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 04:18:26 pm »

That's what all artillerymen like to do.

To quote a fellow Hussar: "I've never met an artilleryman, in any period, who doesn't like big booms"

KA BOOM

the only arty reenactor i have met, was in the vietnam war as an artillerist so it figures
Spoiler
Welcome to FSE hun. Enjoy your stay on s.s. Duuring. Lifeboat is to be found on upper left corner as "log out". We wish you enjoy the journey. Thank you for choosing Dutch Sea For your vacation.
[close]

Offline Landrik

• First Lieutenant
  • Слава Україні!
    • View Profile
    • Infanterie-Regiment 208 (Reenacted)
  • Nick: Landrik
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 10:17:25 pm »
I've done Arty before with my godfather who lives near Shiloh and it's pretty damn fun. This was for the 150th of Shiloh.

However, authenticity standards with arty crews is hilariously bad. Kepis with size adjusters or stretchy material, modern shoes, jeans... You'd think if they spend the money to own, transport, field and fire a cannon they'd throw some money into their impressions.
Humans are extremely complicated creatures. Death uncomplicates them to a frightening degree...

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 10:35:26 pm »
At one of my events I noticed a couple artilleryman wearing jeans xD
Of course, I also think lines should be able to move in double rank without having emotional breakdowns.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2013, 10:52:30 pm »
In the Netherlands, we have one group doing Dutch 1799 foot artillery(VHAM), and two doing Dutch 1815, one foot(Atkins) and one mounted (simply called rijdende artillerie Naarden)

The VHAM, from the city of Maastricht, are a city-based group of people who handle a three-pounder. They are nice people and good re-enactors, who are also guides in the fortress of Maastricht. They don't have a lot of campaign gear, but their uniform is top-notch. I helped with moving the cannon a few times, which is pretty fun.
Atkins is uniform-wise also a good group, but they do have the habit of sometimes coming with a ridiculous small-scaled cannon (when they lack crew-members for the biggie). Still, I don't really mind.
The Rijdende artillerie is...well...You'd think they would get horses or something. But no, they never have. They keep good uniforms and they have a very awesome trumpeter, but they kinda are the kind shoot-and-drink-re-enactors. I once asked what the caliber of their cannon was, and nobody knew except the guy who made it. And he told me, after a minute thought; 'eeerh something like 6 and a half pound'. I don't think I've to tell you that's not really accurate, but I'm more surprised by the fact people don't even know the caliber of the cannon they are handling.

There's a belgian guy who simply bought a small cannon and decided to start 're-enacting'. He and his family are not even by FAR re-enactors. They keep modern clothing, and when they don't wear modern stuff, they were horrible inaccurate uniforms. He also loads his cannon with an idiotic amount of powder, creating a blast that gives people serious headaches. They also have some sort of bungalow tents and modern lighting.

Imagine a beautiful bivouac, with fires lighting the place - and then a big ass tent with very bright white lighting in the middle. Fucking great, eh?

Offline Docm30

• First Lieutenant
  • Retired.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2013, 12:47:13 am »
Realistically, the majority of a gun crew wouldn't need to know anything about their piece besides how to move it.

I would assume these blokes were gunners, though. One would hope the people responsible for loading the gun know what calibre it is.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2013, 12:51:20 am »
I know that's the historical thing, Docm, but we are talking re-enactors here.

A gun crew not knowing a thing about the cannon they handle is like a cavalry guy who doesn't know how to saddle his horse. You presume people have some knowledge on what they re-enact, but some people just do it for the look-good, the booms and the beer. Not saying that these artillery guys are those kind of people, but they did gave me that impression.

Offline 34th Artimus

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2013, 02:42:52 am »
Just thought I'd make a post here. This weekend, I was at the Marbury May Day event attached to the 14th Brooklyn Regiment.

As a first venture into American Civil War, I had no idea what the hell to expect, but me and 2 of my friends arrived there late Friday night, and after a lengthy walk through fields of ponies, cows and hogs, we arrived at the Union camp. In total darkness, we met with Sergeant Andy, and were directed into a tent. Little did I know I would not be removing this uniform for the duration of my weekend. Have to admit, I'm a big fan of the Zouave uniform.

As soon as we were uniformed, it was straight to the pub. There follows a night of drinking and dancing, and Andy hands each of us $15 in replica period notes, I still have no idea why. At some point in the night, we return to camp to drink more around the fire, and I somehow burn the hell out of my hand on a stove, leaving me in dull agony for the rest of the weekend even into now. We clamber into our tent, my friends are asleep as soon as they hit the sack, as am I despite the pain in my hand. When morning comes the next day, we're made hardtack porridge for breakfast and we are given a quick run through of drill alongside the 69th New York and 118th Pennsylvania regiments.

After that little introduction to orders and drill, we head back to the camp and prepare for the day. There's a little bit of wandering, but the event was rather small and there wasn't really much to see. We had some awful weather, hailstones, rain, sunshine, clear skies, more rain and hailstones. I was a little apprehensive about dying in battle and lying in the wet grass for 20 minutes, but whatever. We were told we had to die, as we were the 3 without licenses, so our guns would be using percussion caps only... No gunpowder allowed, sadly.

So, when battle came, the Confederates ambushed the Union camp from the direction of the church, catching us at ease around campfires. We hurriedly form up around the colours, feigning panic and confusion. And then, the volley fire began. And it was damn intense. The cannons were firing, muskets banging on either side. And the whole while, orders are being screamed and the Confederates are doing their rebel yells. Having to make do blasting percussion caps at the rebs, the 14th Brooklyn gets called back by the Major who then orders us to charge the Confederate cannon. And that's our cue to die. We run at the thing, screaming our guts out, and the instant it fires, the three of us are down. I feign wounded, and get dragged behind the Union troops by one of our own. He holds a canteen of water up to my lips and tells me everything will be okay.

Watching the battle carry on, I soon see the Union charging the Confederates off the field and scoring us victory. At some point, our Sergeant Andy hobbles into sight, using his musket as a crutch and occasionally dropping to one knee in "pain". And then, we hear the order "Resurrect!" and the dead come up and we form a new line, fire a few volleys for the crowd. And then we clean up all the junk we left on the battlefield such as cartridge papers and making sure there is nothing dangerous lying around. After that, it's back to the camps to warm up around the fire and Andy takes the three of us to the back of the tents and gives us gunpowder so we can practice firing the guns. What a blast (Excuse the pun), firing a musket for the first time properly was an amazing feeling, and then seeing how fast I could load and fire 3 rounds had me shaking from adrenaline. (3 rounds in under a minute, booyah!)

The next day happened much the same, except this time the Union and Confederacy fought each other to a standstill, we didn't charge the cannon, but we were decimated by enemy fire. Me and my friends died relatively close to each other, and I ended up with my buddies foot right in my back. But for the audiences sake, I didn't move. I'd never been so happy but uncomfortable in my life.

There's nothing quite like it, I'll be honest. I've done Roman before, dabbled slightly in Medieval and shown interest in Napoleonic. I never thought I'd get to American Civil War. But I did, and I don't regret it. The 14th Brooklyn showed me a fantastic time, they were kind, helpful and hilarious. Handling muskets is awesome, firing volleys is exhilarating and I don't think I'll ever stop flinching whenever those bloody cannons go off.

Tl:dr - Fuck hardtack porridge.

Also, me
Spoiler
[close]