16 (1.9%)
400 litres
48 (5.7%)
240.336.676,217765 litres
300 (35.5%)
10.180.000.000.000.000 litres
362 (42.8%)

Total Members Voted: 838

Author Topic: [NW][M]Iron Europe - WWI Mod (RELEASED) - Old Thread  (Read 983248 times)

Offline Googly

• Second Lieutenant
  • ✭ 𝓡𝓮𝓫𝓮𝓵 𝓨𝓮𝓵𝓵 𝓘𝓷𝓽𝓮𝓷𝓼𝓲𝓯𝓲𝓮𝓼 ✭
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: [NW][M]Iron Europe - WWI Mod (Update #20 Scopes, Grenades, In-game Screens)
« Reply #1740 on: September 09, 2013, 10:17:44 pm »
I hope they aren't, one, so melee isn't completely useless, and two, so bandages would actually be used:P
I hope they are, why make a WW1 mod if you're not going to mimic WW1, not saying every shot should kill, but dont aim to make the mod 2 shot kill.

In real life many people survive war wounds. One of our soldiers lost both legs and suffered over 40 injuries in Afghanistan and he survived, so I'm pretty sure being shot in the leg wouldn't make you die instantly and I really hope it doesn't on this game otherwise there will be no way to assault, besides seeing the video footage, you can get 2 shots off pretty quickly.
This is similar to the discussion I had at the start of the thread about the implementation of the sprinting system, someone disagreed because 'the jog is sufficient' apparently, yet in real life soldiers ran for their lives. So this mod should have a balance of realism but also playability, you can make a game super realistic, but it'll end up like Dark Souls, you'll rage and break your keyboard after half an hour of playing it xD

If we're gonna 'mimic WWI' then shouldn't we have over 2,000,000 players at the same time? As you can tell, I'm not a huge fan of realism in games because real war isn't fun!  :P

Offline ClearlyInvsible

• Donator
  • I'm still here. Dunno why.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: ClearlyInvsible
  • Side: Union
« Reply #1741 on: September 09, 2013, 10:47:15 pm »
Well to be fair, the man wouldn't die but he sure as hell wouldn't be combat effective anymore.
"No man will make a great leader who wants to do it all himself or get all the credit for doing it."- Andrew Carnegie
“A man who has no conscience, no goodness, does not suffer.” - Khaled Hosseini
Faggots will burn in hell anyway, who cares.

Offline Killington

• Major General
  • Everyone's favourite
    • View Profile
« Reply #1742 on: September 09, 2013, 10:47:37 pm »
I hope they aren't, one, so melee isn't completely useless, and two, so bandages would actually be used:P
I hope they are, why make a WW1 mod if you're not going to mimic WW1, not saying every shot should kill, but dont aim to make the mod 2 shot kill.
I would rather that sometimes a torso shot is a 1 hit kill, and sometimes it isn't. But even when it isn't, you'd still die soon from bleeding unless there's a buddy with bandages on hand.
In theory we could do huge player numbers far over 500 players per server...  As such we will surely keep our promise to deliver you the 500 players per server.

We will probably go (far) over it, but that's for later.

Offline Landrik

• First Lieutenant
  • Слава Україні!
    • View Profile
    • Infanterie-Regiment 208 (Reenacted)
  • Nick: Landrik
« Reply #1743 on: September 09, 2013, 11:09:15 pm »
The pistol animation really should be the one handed one you see in NW because it wasn't until after WWII I believe that soldiers were taught to fire with two hands.

Also, could bandages not be too visible on your belt? It kind of betrays your camouflage.

Grenades were very common in WWI... I don't mind a regular guy getting two, but assault troops getting much more... I mean, they have those underarm sacks so they could carry plenty!

Speaking of assault troops, inside of the trench you'd have the pistol man up front just in case anyone wanted to tango coming towards them and then men with grenades behind him to clear out the trenches ahead. You'd also have riflemen watching just above to shoot at anyone outside of the trenches and provide security and basically be the eyes of the team. However, for attacking across no mans land teams would either cut the wire beforehand (typically for a general infantry attack) or lay ladders over the wire for the raiding team to quickly get through. They may also have brought with them wooden "X's" with barbed wire in between (a rather gruesome accordion looking trap) to block off trenches and hinder enemy progress.

Otherwise looks great and I can't wait to play. :)
Humans are extremely complicated creatures. Death uncomplicates them to a frightening degree...

Offline Rigadoon

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Rigadoon
« Reply #1744 on: September 09, 2013, 11:33:22 pm »
The pistol animation really should be the one handed one you see in NW because it wasn't until after WWII I believe that soldiers were taught to fire with two hands.
Hm, wasn't aware of that. I'll have to look into that.

Also, could bandages not be too visible on your belt? It kind of betrays your camouflage.
The shaders on the bandages in the video weren't working properly so they won't be so ridiculously shiny and bright. They won't be visible on the belt when we release it anyways.[/quote]

Grenades were very common in WWI... I don't mind a regular guy getting two, but assault troops getting much more... I mean, they have those underarm sacks so they could carry plenty!
Yes, they were very common, but we want to limit them just because of all the team killing that is no doubt going to happen, server crashes, and for every encounter to start off with the spamming of grenades.

Speaking of assault troops, inside of the trench you'd have the pistol man up front just in case anyone wanted to tango coming towards them and then men with grenades behind him to clear out the trenches ahead. You'd also have riflemen watching just above to shoot at anyone outside of the trenches and provide security and basically be the eyes of the team. However, for attacking across no mans land teams would either cut the wire beforehand (typically for a general infantry attack) or lay ladders over the wire for the raiding team to quickly get through. They may also have brought with them wooden "X's" with barbed wire in between (a rather gruesome accordion looking trap) to block off trenches and hinder enemy progress.
We could have deployables like that. Do you have any pictures of these wooden "X's"?

Most shots will be one hit kill. Like in NW, at long ranges, surviving a shot isn't unlikely, but you'll be left with so little health you're likely to bleed out anyways.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 12:38:33 am by Rigadoon »

Offline Landrik

• First Lieutenant
  • Слава Україні!
    • View Profile
    • Infanterie-Regiment 208 (Reenacted)
  • Nick: Landrik
« Reply #1745 on: September 10, 2013, 01:11:44 am »
Yes, they were very common, but we want to limit them just because of all the team killing that is no doubt going to happen, server crashes, and for every encounter to start off with the spamming of grenades.

Fair enough.

We could have deployables like that. Do you have any pictures of these wooden "X's"?

Yes. They were very plentiful on the battlefield because they could easily be set up out in no man's land. However, tactic would be two guys carrying one of these and take out the support beam so throwing it in a narrow trench the entire thing would get tangled up and difficult to dislodge by any enemy troops filtering in. This picture has it made out of metal, but they were most commonly made out of wood.

Spoiler
[close]
Humans are extremely complicated creatures. Death uncomplicates them to a frightening degree...

Offline sovietgondor

• Corporal
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #1746 on: September 10, 2013, 03:18:55 pm »

In real life many people survive war wounds. One of our soldiers lost both legs and suffered over 40 injuries in Afghanistan and he survived, so I'm pretty sure being shot in the leg wouldn't make you die instantly and I really hope it doesn't on this game otherwise there will be no way to assault, besides seeing the video footage, you can get 2 shots off pretty quickly.
This is similar to the discussion I had at the start of the thread about the implementation of the sprinting system, someone disagreed because 'the jog is sufficient' apparently, yet in real life soldiers ran for their lives. So this mod should have a balance of realism but also playability, you can make a game super realistic, but it'll end up like Dark Souls, you'll rage and break your keyboard after half an hour of playing it xD

If we're gonna 'mimic WWI' then shouldn't we have over 2,000,000 players at the same time? As you can tell, I'm not a huge fan of realism in games because real war isn't fun!  :P

Try and remember that they are making a mod for NW which is a DLC/mod of M&B Warband. It is not Frostbyte or CryEngine3, so they are limited on the amount they can do. That being said people also have broken these limits and have taken mods beyond the call of duty. Don't expect sprinting, because as far as I've seen in all of the mods I have played, sprint hasn't been in any of them. and to be honest there really isn't a need for it. I can understand the want of realism for this mod, I have the thoughts too, But I also understand that an ultra realistic WWI mod is impossible because of balance and because of the engine they are working off of. I'll be surprised if they manage to get a working prone system in though.

Offline Xanderman

• Donator
  • Victory through incompetence. Old 7th guards rifle
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Alexander
« Reply #1747 on: September 10, 2013, 05:54:52 pm »

Try and remember that they are making a mod for NW which is a DLC/mod of M&B Warband. It is not Frostbyte or CryEngine3, so they are limited on the amount they can do. That being said people also have broken these limits and have taken mods beyond the call of duty. Don't expect sprinting, because as far as I've seen in all of the mods I have played, sprint hasn't been in any of them. and to be honest there really isn't a need for it. I can understand the want of realism for this mod, I have the thoughts too, But I also understand that an ultra realistic WWI mod is impossible because of balance and because of the engine they are working off of. I'll be surprised if they manage to get a working prone system in though.
Googly stated he wasn't a huge fan of realism.

Offline Willhelm

• Donator
    • View Profile
    • Blood&Iron
  • Nick: 32nd_Gdm_William
« Reply #1748 on: September 10, 2013, 06:06:04 pm »

My point was to not aim for 2 shot kill even in critical areas. And while many shots in real life wouldn't instantly kill but just incapacitate, in game terms that's a kill.

Offline Jelly

• Colonel
  • Formerly of 1stKDG, 60th, 1erChas, K-KA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1749 on: September 10, 2013, 07:12:56 pm »
can i quikscop wid dat scop nao?/??/

Offline BSM 'Shut up' Williams

• First Lieutenant
  • Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna!
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
  • Nick: Jean Grande
« Reply #1750 on: September 10, 2013, 07:16:13 pm »
Please no.

Steam Profile Signature
[close]

Offline Googly

• Second Lieutenant
  • ✭ 𝓡𝓮𝓫𝓮𝓵 𝓨𝓮𝓵𝓵 𝓘𝓷𝓽𝓮𝓷𝓼𝓲𝓯𝓲𝓮𝓼 ✭
    • View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: September 10, 2013, 07:18:33 pm »

My point was to not aim for 2 shot kill even in critical areas. And while many shots in real life wouldn't instantly kill but just incapacitate, in game terms that's a kill.
This is similar to the difference between Red Orchestra 2 and Red Orchestra 1, in RO1 when you got injured, you couldn't run if it were in the legs, similar to Arma 2. In Red Orchestra 2, if you got shot in the finger, you'd bleed out and die within seconds which obviously wouldn't happen, my great great grandfather was shot in the hand in WWI and he survived the entire war. Hence why I have only played a few hours of RO2 compared to many many hours of RO1.

What I was trying to put across was I hope that it's possible to create individual hitboxes for separate areas, because if the leg has the same hitbox as the heart area, it'd be kinda stupid dying cause you got shot in the shin xD Theres good realism and bad realism, good realism makes you feel immersed, bad realism is making the game unplayable or very irritating, like those stupid survival mods for Skyrim and Fallout.  ;D

Offline Jelly

• Colonel
  • Formerly of 1stKDG, 60th, 1erChas, K-KA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1752 on: September 10, 2013, 07:22:49 pm »
my great great grandfather was shot in the hand in WWI and he survived the entire war
He must've had the juggernaut perk then. :)

Offline Diplex

• Vital Supporter
  • Colonel Edward B. Fowler
    • View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: September 10, 2013, 08:09:03 pm »
I'm relaying a compliment,

I'm stunned! Best IE update to date. I'm honoured to be a fan of you guys and I'm really proud of the IE team. You have amazed me because you have done things with M&B that I would never think be possible. I mean the shooting system including the sounds and animations are simply the best. Don't forget about the grenades and bandages aswell, f*cking amazing.  I don't think this mod gets the atention it deserves. Even if it's one of the biggest in-dev mods out there if not the biggest, you still deserve a bigger following than just the M&B. I hope alot of other people like WW1 history buffs jump on the bandwagon.  Bottom line is, I love you <3            /Oscar XI Hederlööf

Offline Karth

• Donator
  • General of 63e| NW Official Admin
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 63e_General_Karth
« Reply #1754 on: September 10, 2013, 08:59:50 pm »
Looking good as always  :D