Poll

Since we're making great strides with Russia, we will soon be working more heavily on France. After that, we'll need to have a clear line-up for our UK troops. Help us decide from a few regiments below. Pick one of the two options for each.

[DO NOT PICK] UK Guard Infantry
9 (1.8%)
Coldstream Guards
65 (13.3%)
Scots Guards
78 (16%)
[DO NOT PICK] UK Hussars
5 (1%)
4th Queen's Own Hussars
55 (11.3%)
13th Hussars
32 (6.6%)
[DO NOT PICK] UK Light Dragoons
5 (1%)
4th Queen's Own (Light) Dragoons
41 (8.4%)
13th Light Dragoons
35 (7.2%)
[DO NOT PICK] UK Heavy Dragoons (Pick UP TO TWO!)
5 (1%)
2nd (Scots Greys) Dragoons
67 (13.8%)
4th (Royal Irish) Dragoon Guards
29 (6%)
5th (Princess Charlotte of Wales's) Dragoon Guards
30 (6.2%)
6th (Inniskilling) Dragoons
31 (6.4%)

Total Members Voted: 135

Author Topic: [M] The Crimean War - Looking for additonal UNIFORM modelers!  (Read 87563 times)

Offline sev666

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 2CT_Skrim_Sgt_Sev
  • Side: Neutral
Re: [M] The Crimean War
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2013, 12:01:23 pm »
Looks interesting cant wait to see what its like  :)

Offline BSM 'Shut up' Williams

• First Lieutenant
  • Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna!
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
  • Nick: Jean Grande
  • Side: Union
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2013, 12:23:19 pm »
Greatly Quick Love 'em

Steam Profile Signature
[close]

Offline Dekkers

• Colonel
  • Left hand's fast but the right hand's sturdy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2013, 01:59:20 pm »
Sounds good :)

Good luck!

-Dekkers
Dekkers has become the community's designated old man with alzheimers who sits in the corner reminiscing about simpler times, happier times... "The spins" he wails "do you remember the SPINS!!!"

Offline Chosen1

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Chosen1
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2013, 04:51:18 pm »
We would like to thank you all for your good luck wishes.  :)

Suggestions for russian regiments:
32y Kremenchugskiy Pehotniy Polk (32nd Kremenchug Infantry Reg.)
29y Chernigovskiy Pehotniy Polk (29th Chernigov Infantry Reg.)
48y Odesskiy Pehotniy Polk (48th Odessa Infantry Reg.)
30y Poltavskiy Pehotniy Polk (30th Poltava Infantry Reg.)
Greek Legion

I'll look further into info., but my current list formed on regiments that took part in battles.

That's interesting, where did you find this information?

Didn't the French start using rifles which reloaded 2-3 times faster than muskets right before Crimean war?

The French army mainly used the minié rifle, which actually loaded a tad bit slower (about 2 shots per minute) than the left over Napoleonic muskets the Russians were using (3-4 shots per minute). But of course, they were much more accurate. We'll find a way to balance this, though, even if it is historically inaccurate.

If I'm wrong, please do correct me.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 04:53:36 pm by Chosen1 »
9-11 Coaster.

Find out what it's like to spin, glide, skim and fly like a giant airplane when you experience "United Airlines Flight 175"® – the only flying roller coaster of its kind in the world. Riders are taunted by a head-first, face-down inverted crash into the twin towers… and that's just the beginning. Experience the full force and power of riding down the twin towers, all on one of the deadliest tracks in the world.

Offline TheBoberton

• Knight of Blueberry
  • Colonel
  • I don't want no pardon for anything I done
    • View Profile
    • Thomas' Steam Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2013, 05:06:13 pm »
I'm not too familiar with the armament of the French army at this time, but I do know that the minié ball had been invented before the rifle bearing a similar name, so theoretically they'd have a fire rate very close to that of a smooth-bore weapon. (Sounds like it'll be fun to balance!)

Good luck with the mod though, Crimea is quite the interesting war.
The Green Hills of Tyrol - Transcribed during the war by John MacLeod (It also happens to be one of my favourite tunes on the pipes. :P)

Offline Willhelm

• Donator
    • View Profile
    • Blood&Iron
  • Nick: 32nd_Gdm_William
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2013, 05:09:33 pm »
I'm not too familiar with the armament of the French army at this time, but I do know that the minié ball had been invented before the rifle bearing a similar name, so theoretically they'd have a fire rate very close to that of a smooth-bore weapon. (Sounds like it'll be fun to balance!)

Good luck with the mod though, Crimea is quite the interesting war.
The Green Hills of Tyrol - Transcribed during the war by John MacLeod (It also happens to be one of my favourite tunes on the pipes. :P)

They used rifled muskets, the same as north and south.

Offline Audiate

• World's Worst
  • Major General
  • FREEZE, PUNK!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: the mic rula; the old schoola
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2013, 05:15:07 pm »
Greek Legion

Greek Legion was already planned to be included, but not on the official line-up yet.

A couple of the others we'll be thinking about, thanks for your suggestions! ;)

Didn't the French start using rifles which reloaded 2-3 times faster than muskets right before Crimean war?

Like Neville said, there will be a lot of tweaks and tests made for balancing the firearms alone. The French Minie rifle will be more accurate than the Russian's muskets, and at longer range than the Russian muskets, but the Russians will be able to dish out more shots per minute. This is what we're attempting to get right, though balancing will be tricky. Russia always had one big flaw: too many soldiers, too few resources. The Russians, upon release, will hopefully have quite the variety in weaponry, not as randomized as some units in NW, but quite some variety nonetheless. With these features in mind, we'll be attempting to make it as close as we can to the historical weaponry of the time, but still balance it out to make it a fun and enjoyable mod.

Right now, though, you should all keep in mind that this mod is in very early development still, and will go through many changes before it is released. We'll try to keep everyone up to date with what changes/planned changes will come.

Offline Prince_Eugen

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 19th_Fus_Prince_Eugen
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2013, 05:28:46 pm »
We would like to thank you all for your good luck wishes.  :)

Suggestions for russian regiments:
Greek Legion

I'll look further into info., but my current list formed on regiments that took part in battles.

That's interesting, where did you find this information?

The French army mainly used the minié rifle, which actually loaded a tad bit slower (about 2 shots per minute) than the left over Napoleonic muskets the Russians were using (3-4 shots per minute). But of course, they were much more accurate. We'll find a way to balance this, though, even if it is historically inaccurate.

If I'm wrong, please do correct me.
There's a lot of Russian sources, and as i found at my family tree, one of my ancestors was in 29y regiment and served in Crimea, took part in defence of Sevastopol. And, as a source, in my country the Crimean war is deeply researching in military academy i'm studying in.

Offline Chosen1

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2013, 05:50:11 pm »
Alright, well thanks for the info. We'll keep it handy and do some research on those regiments.
9-11 Coaster.

Find out what it's like to spin, glide, skim and fly like a giant airplane when you experience "United Airlines Flight 175"® – the only flying roller coaster of its kind in the world. Riders are taunted by a head-first, face-down inverted crash into the twin towers… and that's just the beginning. Experience the full force and power of riding down the twin towers, all on one of the deadliest tracks in the world.

Offline Chosen1

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2013, 02:22:04 am »
Sorry for doubleposting, but I've decided to pull the dumb early models and finish that and other stuff for a bigger update, which you can probably see in a week or two.

So yeah, just a heads up.
9-11 Coaster.

Offline Odysseus

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2013, 03:40:58 am »
I'll be open to map suggestions if anyone wants to PM me the suggestipn and a little historical info about it  ;)

• First Lieutenant
  • Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna!
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2013, 11:11:33 am »
Oh...Yeah.

Steam Profile Signature
[close]

Offline James Grant

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2013, 02:19:38 pm »
What is it now Baktech?

Just thought you chaps might like these (no practical use for the mod, just interesting) I made some Crimean era rank insignia on the collars. They aren't 100% accurate but my only reference was a few paragraphs in a book. I haven't the faintest idea what the gold braid should be but these give a nice insight :) Oh and the buttons are only there because one picture showed something similiar to Buttons but weren't actually mentioned in the paragraph.

Colonel.

Lieutenant Colonel.

Major.

Captain.

Lieutenant.

Ensign.

Offline Desert Thunda

• Colonel
  • u wish u knew
    • View Profile
  • Nick: K-KA_Commissar_DesertThunda
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2013, 02:25:36 pm »

Colonel.

Lieutenant Colonel.

Major.

Captain.

Lieutenant.

Ensign.

Very nice Grant ^^

• First Lieutenant
  • Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna!
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2013, 04:19:16 pm »
What is it now Baktech?

Just thought you chaps might like these (no practical use for the mod, just interesting) I made some Crimean era rank insignia on the collars. They aren't 100% accurate but my only reference was a few paragraphs in a book. I haven't the faintest idea what the gold braid should be but these give a nice insight :) Oh and the buttons are only there because one picture showed something similiar to Buttons but weren't actually mentioned in the paragraph.

Colonel.

Lieutenant Colonel.

Major.

Captain.

Lieutenant.

Ensign.

They are all correct just need to flip it so the crown is facing right, if Im wrong please correct me.

Steam Profile Signature
[close]