Author Topic: Advice for New Regiment Leaders- Tips  (Read 4712 times)

Offline Neon

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Advice for New Regiment Leaders- Tips
« on: February 23, 2013, 02:06:28 am »
(If there's a thread just like this=lock)

This is a thread where leaders/ex-leaders can put in their ways/tips on leading and running a regiment. If a new regiment shows up with a leader with little to no idea on how to lead the regiment properly, they can seek help from others here.

Basically to put it bluntly- put in your ways on how to do things/ask questions if your new to this/help other people out :)

Offline Father Jack

• First Lieutenant
  • Retired
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Father-Jack/Jack_The_Mean
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: Advice for New Regiment Leaders- Tips
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 02:09:16 am »
Im sure Aztir will tell you this as soon as he see's this but I might as well tell you now.

Treat your members nicely, remember this is a game and they joined you to have fun and fight and once in a while treat them.

Offline Menelaos

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 06:18:50 am »
Treat your members nicely, remember this is a game and they joined you to have fun and fight and once in a while treat them.
This

I wish I wasn't such a dick to certain people, I lost people by shouting at them for messing up commands. I now realise it's better to stay cool throughout it all.

Offline Deofuta

• Captain
  • 1stEPI_Fw_Deofuta
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 06:46:52 am »
Don't use officer positions as tools to entice members into joining. Officers need to be selected on quality, not as a prize to be doled out.

Offline Getty

• Major
  • Leader of the Nr9.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Nr9_Oberst_Getty
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 06:59:06 am »
Two words: Commissary Executions.

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 08:52:27 am »
Always be polite and respectful to your members. In the real army a man can stand in ranks and receive shit for messing something up. Do the same in a video game the guy will leave to find a group that wont be rude to him.

What I did and is my opinion that most new regs should not do is DONT START AS LINE INFANTRY. Unless you are starting out fielding like 20 guys its not worth it. Line requires strict discipline and training which is hard to do but has great rewards. I would start as a skirmisher. They are very easy to command (good practice), its very easy to do as long as your guys are good shots, skirmishing is super chill in events because you can just sit back and watch the score rack up and most iimportantly you can be effective without having to field large numbers.. Plus its a good recruitment incentive.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 08:54:26 am by Millander »
Of course, I also think lines should be able to move in double rank without having emotional breakdowns.

Offline Mr. Kochi

• First Lieutenant
  • Baah! Baah baah, baah? Baah baah!
    • View Profile
    • The Skin Warehouse
  • Nick: Mr. James Koach
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 09:55:07 am »
One thing I learnt the hard way:

If you used to be a private, or even a low NCO in another clan, don't bring in the guys from that clan into yours. They wont see you as a leader, but rather, as the same shitty private/cpl who believes himself an officer.

Offline GoldenEagle

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Abii
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 10:52:53 am »
I would also say that you should not let Trolling occur, specialy under LB's. The problem is that you have to know how to punish and when to punish. If a guy head bobs a few times after 1 hour with training, thats not really punishable, but if a guy disobeys commands or talks shit to other people/officers, then you should ban him for a few hours or even kick him out of regiment.

Offline Archduke Sven

• Brigadier General
  • I have over 1000 warning points, be careful.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: regimentless sven
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, 12:52:45 pm »
To not try to piss off other regiments excessively ( Under the right circumstances its ok ). Its always better to find friends  ;)

Otherwise just try to form a bond with your men so they feel a sense of camaraderie and maybe even a sense of loyalty to the regiment.

told that bih don't @ me

Offline Kator Viridian

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2013, 02:21:13 pm »
Have fun, enjoy the game and don't be serious snake ... done.

Offline Neon

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2013, 02:44:12 pm »
Be smart when electing new NCOs and COs, you must think about how their skills can benefit the regiment in a positive way. No point in having a CO pissing your other members off to the point of them leaving.

Offline Harbinger

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2013, 03:16:09 pm »
Be a dictator

Offline Deofuta

• Captain
  • 1stEPI_Fw_Deofuta
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2013, 04:19:31 am »
Always be polite and respectful to your members. In the real army a man can stand in ranks and receive shit for messing something up. Do the same in a video game the guy will leave to find a group that wont be rude to him.

What I did and is my opinion that most new regs should not do is DONT START AS LINE INFANTRY. Unless you are starting out fielding like 20 guys its not worth it. Line requires strict discipline and training which is hard to do but has great rewards. I would start as a skirmisher. They are very easy to command (good practice), its very easy to do as long as your guys are good shots, skirmishing is super chill in events because you can just sit back and watch the score rack up and most iimportantly you can be effective without having to field large numbers.. Plus its a good recruitment incentive.

But then comes that oh so fun time when you need to make a transition to line, and some people who joined a skirmisher regiment may not be cool with that.

Offline Kator Viridian

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2013, 12:47:57 pm »

But then comes that oh so fun time when you need to make a transition to line, and some people who joined a skirmisher regiment may not be cool with that.

Lines have never required strict dicipline, all it takes is some common knowledge and knowledge of how to play warband, lines battles and lines are dictated by Melee, if you don't have good melee players then any size of line infantry can beat it.

Skirmshing also does not require good shots it actually requires good tactical knowledge on when to reatreat and how to retreat and that is where skirmishers win or lose. A skirmishing group is great for point blanking and retreating in a slow fallback keeping some men behind to reload while the front retreat after killing the closest enemy, you can win entire battles like that. 52nd used to do it on the American servers and wiped out entire lines with about 1-2 men losses ... 20 against 1-2 is a great victory and then take on another line.

Strategy and good player instict is what makes a good line. Strategy holds a skirmishing regiment together.

Brains and Skills ... not training.

Offline TORN

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: TORN