Weapon?

Sword!
84 (24.9%)
Musket!
174 (51.6%)
Pike!
79 (23.4%)

Total Members Voted: 334

Author Topic: The Century of War (Serverfiles are available)  (Read 198279 times)

Offline Audiate

• World's Worst
  • Major General
  • FREEZE, PUNK!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: the mic rula; the old schoola
  • Side: Union
Re: [NW|M] The Century of War (17th Century mod)
« Reply #195 on: November 05, 2013, 04:30:29 am »
I have some really interesting ideas for battles in this mod... so many possibilities... obviously both cavalry and pikemen would have a major part in the gameplay, but I'm curious to see how large groups of pikemen/cavalrymen especially can be gathered together for battles in the first place. I mean, ten pikemen wouldn't be able to do all that much, and depending on how they're balanced, neither could cavalry.

Offline Archduke Sven

• Brigadier General
  • I have over 1000 warning points, be careful.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: regimentless sven
« Reply #196 on: November 05, 2013, 09:06:03 am »
I have some really interesting ideas for battles in this mod... so many possibilities... obviously both cavalry and pikemen would have a major part in the gameplay, but I'm curious to see how large groups of pikemen/cavalrymen especially can be gathered together for battles in the first place. I mean, ten pikemen wouldn't be able to do all that much, and depending on how they're balanced, neither could cavalry.

I have the feeling that a bunch of tiny regiments are going to ruin this game in multiplayer. Running around with 10 pikemen thinking they can do something on their own.

I hope people realise that this type of warfare is literally only about cohesiveness, and people are probably going to play it like it was NW, trying to flank an entire army with 10 guys....

told that bih don't @ me

Offline Davout

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: November 05, 2013, 10:45:40 am »

I have the feeling that a bunch of tiny regiments are going to ruin this game in multiplayer. Running around with 10 pikemen thinking they can do something on their own.

I hope people realise that this type of warfare is literally only about cohesiveness, and people are probably going to play it like it was NW, trying to flank an entire army with 10 guys....
Have smaller battle maps with less hills. So it forces close cooperation between groups.

Offline Oldest_Guard

• Second Lieutenant
  • Stabber of itty bitty Riflemen
    • View Profile
  • Nick: [25th] Oldest
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #198 on: November 05, 2013, 11:00:17 am »
Spoiler

[close]
Pikemen and Musket armed troops were within the same group in battle, so I can only assume that Regiments will go half pikes and half muskets in order to fight when playing as infantry.

Offline Willhelm

• Donator
    • View Profile
    • Blood&Iron
  • Nick: 32nd_Gdm_William
« Reply #199 on: November 05, 2013, 11:04:48 am »
They wont though, they will go as all musket, then they will get annihilated by cav because of no bayonets, then they will get told they need pikemen, then half will quit saying unbalanced.

So to avoid this, you should really emphasis the need for pikemen.

Offline Archduke Sven

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: November 05, 2013, 12:23:25 pm »
They wont though, they will go as all musket, then they will get annihilated by cav because of no bayonets, then they will get told they need pikemen, then half will quit saying unbalanced.

So to avoid this, you should really emphasis the need for pikemen.

Well muskets should be nerfed, they should be nowhere near what they are in NW. I am sure the developer has thought of this though, since muskets took much longer to reload, and the accuracy was much, much lower. But it needs to be really rock paper scissor, since Pikemen takes out cav, cav takes out muskets, but muskets can't really take out Pikemen then, well i guess that is where artillery comes in.

I hope musketeers will be auxilliary to pikemen, kind of how in other mods where a line of 20 or so gets a few archers, maybe every 4 guys you get 1 musket or so, i think historically it was 1:6 in the Imperial armies and 1:3 in the Swedish army, but i guess that is up to the event hoster.

told that bih don't @ me

Offline Willhelm

• Donator
    • View Profile
    • Blood&Iron
« Reply #201 on: November 05, 2013, 12:32:16 pm »
Well massed muskets can take out pikemen, if they're organised enough and fire in volleys. By the end of the 30 years war period it tended to be a ratio of 3 musketeers to 1 pikeman. Skirmishers will probably whittle away a pikeman formation. However pikemen should be able to advance to musketeers and still have enough of their force to kill them in melee.

Offline Archduke Sven

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: November 05, 2013, 12:35:41 pm »
Well massed muskets can take out pikemen, if they're organised enough and fire in volleys. By the end of the 30 years war period it tended to be a ratio of 3 musketeers to 1 pikeman. Skirmishers will probably whittle away a pikeman formation. However pikemen should be able to advance to musketeers and still have enough of their force to kill them in melee.

Hope cav will be used well then, so that musketeers don't dare go anywhere without pikemen, a bunch of skirmishers would be quite annoying for the gameplay.

told that bih don't @ me

Offline Feldsau

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: [DL]III_KBR_O_Feldsau
« Reply #203 on: November 05, 2013, 06:33:39 pm »
I already thought about possible rules for events. This is just a draft but it shows the direction I would aim for with an event.

Pike & Shote

Infantry Rules:

The default infantry class is pikemen
You need at least 10 people to attend to an event
If you fall under 7 people you need to join another group of players
You may pick 1 musketeer per 3 pikemen (Ration 4:1)
Musketeers have to stick with their unit

Cavalry Rules:

The maximum for cavalry are 10 people
Dragoons may not fire from horseback, while pistols may be fired

Cavalry units should be restricted so that the pikemen are the main part of each army. The gameplay of the mod should be that it is necessary for units to keep a certain formation even in melee. I already played the mod and had a look at the muskets. Those have been nerfed. The accuracy and the reloading speed are lower than in NW, they also have less cartridges (12). That´s a good, first act of balancing. However I would recommend to slow down the speed of all units.

Offline joer5835

• Brigadier General
  • My face is tired.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Joer
« Reply #204 on: November 05, 2013, 07:01:32 pm »
Screw those musketeers, I want a +100 pikemen preparing for a massive cavalry charge,
Polan is of dangerous to FSE
Im from Poland , a land of lawlessness

Offline Furrnox

• Lieutenant General
  • Eternally incorrect, centre-left, asshole.
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #205 on: November 05, 2013, 07:43:19 pm »
I already thought about possible rules for events. This is just a draft but it shows the direction I would aim for with an event.

Pike & Shote

Infantry Rules:

Cavalry Rules:

Cavalry units should be restricted so that the pikemen are the main part of each army. The gameplay of the mod should be that it is necessary for units to keep a certain formation even in melee. I already played the mod and had a look at the muskets. Those have been nerfed. The accuracy and the reloading speed are lower than in NW, they also have less cartridges (12). That´s a good, first act of balancing. However I would recommend to slow down the speed of all units.
I think that should be higher like at least 12.

Offline Willhelm

• Donator
    • View Profile
    • Blood&Iron
« Reply #206 on: November 05, 2013, 07:50:42 pm »

Pike & Shote

Infantry Rules:

Cavalry Rules:

I think you've emphasising pikemen too much, it was at least a ratio of 1:1 of pike and shot in the 30 years war, and usually 1:2 of musketeers later on.

Offline Feldsau

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: [DL]III_KBR_O_Feldsau
« Reply #207 on: November 05, 2013, 09:26:23 pm »
That might be true, but you have to watch the gameplay. If there are too many musketeers, the pikes get slaughtered..

Offline Willhelm

• Donator
    • View Profile
    • Blood&Iron
« Reply #208 on: November 05, 2013, 09:30:52 pm »
Depends how realistic he makes the muskets.

Offline Turin Turambar

• Major General
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #209 on: November 05, 2013, 09:35:38 pm »
In the Napoleonic Wars only 1/4 of all soldiers that died in combat were shot down. The rest was mostly killed in melee and some got killed by artillery fire. And in the early 17th Century the muskets were less accurate. I think maybe 1/6-1/10 died by musket shots ...
And will there musket missfires be integrated?
des is apsichtdliche Browokazion etzala ferstest du