Author Topic: there is a bullet drop?  (Read 6130 times)

Offline Amit

• First Sergeant
  • Never fart on someone balls
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Amit
  • Side: Neutral
there is a bullet drop?
« on: October 17, 2013, 04:46:55 pm »
I must know!

Offline Neil

• Corporal
  • SeanBeansShako is a fat Cornish cunt
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Neil
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: there is a bullet drop?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 04:54:47 pm »
Yes, I've saw afew videos where they've tested it and as far as I know I think bullet drop exists. Even in LB's I've been told to aim for top smoke or their necks when they're at a distance, and when looking through the spyglass you can see bullets hitting the ground below them even though the volley was very much aimed straight at them.

Offline Amit

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 05:05:24 pm »
I thought aswell but my friends killed for far away by aiming at them so idk :'(

Offline Neil

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 05:20:01 pm »
Bullet direction and stuffs is very random:p

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 05:33:27 pm »
SOme people have not been on the forums a lot.

Anyways: Bullet that are seen in game =/= actual bullets.

Let the flame being, again.
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Betaknight

• Major
  • To Protect and To Serve
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Betaknight
  • Side: Union
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 05:48:47 pm »
There is a bullet drop in game.  Pistols and muskets have different drop speeds. Thats why you cant snipe people like with a musket.
The first modder for NW.

Offline Japan

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Japan
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 05:53:27 pm »
There is no bullet drop at least for the AI.
Anyways there is a thread already made for this https://www.fsegames.eu/forum/index.php?topic=5206.0

Offline Neil

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 05:55:21 pm »
There is no bullet drop at least for the AI.
Anyways there is a thread already made for this https://www.fsegames.eu/forum/index.php?topic=5206.0

Bots are like snipers:c

Offline Amit

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 06:21:08 pm »
i know but i still didnt understand if there is our isnt ?

Offline Neil

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2013, 06:21:43 pm »
Yes, there is bullet drop.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 09:00:23 pm by Neil »

Offline Willhelm

• Donator
    • View Profile
    • Blood&Iron
  • Nick: 32nd_Gdm_William
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2013, 07:38:50 pm »
There is bullet drop, muskets are native crossbows.

Offline Docm30

• First Lieutenant
  • Retired.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2013, 08:37:43 pm »
Willhelm is correct. NW is built on the module system and that provides no control over bullet drop. There is unquestionably bullet drop for both the players and the AI.

Offline Menelaos

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2013, 09:22:44 pm »
Spoiler
Seems the secret is out so here goes.

Get a long stretch of water, place target dummies at varying ranges and have 50 people line up and put the reticule on the head of the dummies when firing

Postulation 1: "Random Spread"

What would you expect to see?
Splashes in the water all over the place, especially "near misses" in front and behind the dummies you are aiming at.

What do you get? 
Hits - Directly hit the target, you hear the thud and see the splinters.
Misses - All land in exactly the same area in a nice little horizontal line. They are NOT "everywhere" as your theory would tell you they should be. Nor are they anywhere near the target at longer ranges despite people with identical aim scoring hits

Change aim to targets that are further away, always putting the dot on the head. What do you get?
Misses still all land in a line in the same place, hits still slap directly into the target there are just fewer of them as range increases.

So, is there bullet drop? Yes and No
Yes - a fixed amount for any shot declared a "miss"
No - Anything declared a "hit" goes straight like a laser regardless of distance

Note: You can change where the bullet drop "line" is by having your guys aim at a fixed point higher in the air (Spawn a prop up there for them to use as a marker), even landing the splashes directly on people however does not give you any hits on target.

This clearly only works with stationary targets so I have no proof one way or the other on how aiming should be optimised for targets running across your vision, we aim just in front and as with the rest of this system hope for the best.

The initial tests were done using two lines of 40 blasting at each other in different configurations and with varying points of aim but since "working it out" we have spent a year demonstrating it to all our new cadets using a long water way firing range with rows of dummies at varying distances.

Feel free to argue and disagree but unless you present repeatable evidence for all to see in a similar test format its all just speculation, not that it will stop some of you.

Whether it is supposed to work this way is an entirely different matter and I am sure there are components not identified here but it gave us a start point and shooting performance in LB's improved significantly after swapping to the "just point at them" strategy which is conclusive enough evidence for me.
[close]

Spoiler
Hope this helps,
in this video I do an experiment to see wether or not there is bulletdrop.

I basically multiplied the scale of the bullet with a factor of 100, shoot a couple of bulletballs and look where they land.
From what I can see, there is bulletdrop, unless perspective is playing tricks on my mind :P

Spoiler
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERy_BfC1q20&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]
[close]
'

No offense, but that is invalid information.

Allow Riddlez to elaborate:

Now, As one could see, there is bullet drop.
But, using the same video as evidence, one could say that a bullet goes incredibly slow, whilst hitting after much shorter a time.

[close]

The topic has been answered plenty of times. I don't really care about drop, I'd like to know why bullet puffs on the ground occasionally will not land (Server issue?).

Offline Willhelm

• Donator
    • View Profile
    • Blood&Iron
  • Nick: 32nd_Gdm_William
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2013, 11:50:07 pm »
Willhelm is correct. NW is built on the module system and that provides no control over bullet drop. There is unquestionably bullet drop for both the players and the AI.

Well i wouldn't say there is no control. Putting up the Shoot speed, which is velocity of the projectile, decreases bullet drop, as in the bullet flies much further before it hits the ground. For example at 30 shoot speed fired straight ahead the bullet hits the ground maybe 10 meters away, but at 250 which the NW muskets are set to, they hit the ground maybe 100 meters away. There is also something in module.ini to do with air friction on bullets and gravity settings but i haven't played around with that. So for a mod it is possible to control bullet drop by controlling the velocity of the projectile.

I don't really care about drop, I'd like to know why bullet puffs on the ground occasionally will not land (Server issue?).
Pretty sure its a lagg issue, the game uses a script to make the puffs appear so i guess if there is lagg at the same time as the script is firing it could not appear but i'm not an expert on this stuff.

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2013, 12:03:12 pm »
All people seem so convinced of bullet drop.... Though I have heard a completely different theory, which even explains the puffs on the grouds weirdly occurring somewhere else.
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.