Author Topic: Download Link Now Available V4  (Read 255622 times)

Offline Xanderman

• Donator
  • Victory through incompetence. Old 7th guards rifle
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Alexander
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: (WIP) The Anglo-Zulu War
« Reply #90 on: December 19, 2012, 07:52:13 am »
So how fast will the British be able to fire if they have breech loaders?

Offline CHARLES111MAC

• Second Lieutenant
  • The fighting Pug !!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Charles_MacDonald
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #91 on: December 19, 2012, 08:54:01 am »
It should be pretty quick because it was quick in those days

“The man who has no sense of history, is like a man who has no ears or eyes”  Adolf Hitler

Offline James Grant

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #92 on: December 19, 2012, 10:02:13 am »
Nice to hear, hopefully you guys script in a zombie mode.
Zulu invasion mode? Count me in.

Also, you guys are gonna have to work out the balance issues between the Zulu and British. I forget what the old Zulu mod did to fix that.

You know Romandude we really hadn't considered that -_-

Offline Willhelm

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Blood&Iron
  • Nick: 32nd_Gdm_William
« Reply #93 on: December 19, 2012, 12:24:23 pm »
Nice to hear, hopefully you guys script in a zombie mode.
Zulu invasion mode? Count me in.

Also, you guys are gonna have to work out the balance issues between the Zulu and British. I forget what the old Zulu mod did to fix that.

We plan to have a bots server. To balance while the British will obviously be superior at range, the Zulu will be superior in melee.
So how fast will the British be able to fire if they have breech loaders?

Around once every 5 seconds, thats what historical sources state.

Offline James Grant

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 19, 2012, 12:48:18 pm »
Well 12 rounds a minute was the stated amount, yet it was recommended to stick to three or four to stop men rushing and wasting their shots. From a morale perspective it was far more devastating for an enemy to lose alot of men all at once rather than a few here and there. And with the high amount of recoil which increased shot for shot I'd say a recoil would work well ingame too.
Another thing I garnered from my book was that 1400 meters was the sighted maximum range,yet still a near impossible shot. 750 was the range a regiment would begin firing and 275-360 was the most effective range.

Also it was only the NNC NCO's that were issued firearms which will certainly simplify that aspect,I'd recommend equipping them with the Snider-Enfield.

Also the artillery involved was N battery,5th Brigade using 7 pounder's, these were light field guns ill-suited to the terrain and so were mounted on heavier 9 pounder carriages.

That's what I found out this morning,just leaving it here so it can be found nice and easily.

Oh and I never really looked that closely at the jacket in the below picture but that is the tunic of the Frontier Light Horse officers, the enlisted men should have worn a similiar tunic but preferred civilian dress.
Spoiler

Below is what the enlisted men should have worn...

Below is what they did mostly wear...

So I'd recommend using both for the troopers.
[close]
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 01:12:53 pm by James Grant »

Offline Scorpia

• First Lieutenant
  • You know who I am.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Scorpia the Great
« Reply #95 on: December 19, 2012, 01:16:23 pm »
I suppose you could look up Zulu Tribes, no doubt it will lack in detail, maybe there were tribes that mastered the use of muskets, some cavalry and others swordplay. No doubt there were Zulu Tribes with muskets.

Offline James Grant

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 19, 2012, 01:21:58 pm »
There were not entire zulu tribes with firearms but rather a few scattered here and there that might have been banded together into a temproary amabutho. I know there was at least one African tribe in Natal who were rather good with horses and providing part of the NNC cavalry but I have come across nothing yet that suggests the Zulu themselves had any substantial mounted forces. But I'll keep searching ;)

Edit:I have found out today there was some men of the umCijo tribe who performed as mounted skirmishers at Hlobane.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 03:44:44 pm by James Grant »

Offline Ardagh

• Sergeant Major
  • 1BnYLR
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Ardagh
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #97 on: December 19, 2012, 04:18:34 pm »
To clarify about fire rate: whilst fire rate will be historically accurate, at the stated level, British troops will not be able to carry much ammunition.

I would like (no certainty here) to figure out some sort of ammo box solution, a sort of resupply point, but that's certainly not going to be in the first few builds. There are more pressing matters than that right now.
-Anglo-Zulu War Community Manager (Developer)
-VCW Community Manager + Head Researcher (Developer)

Offline James Grant

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 19, 2012, 04:21:47 pm »
To clarify about fire rate: whilst fire rate will be historically accurate, at the stated level, British troops will not be able to carry much ammunition.

I would like (no certainty here) to figure out some sort of ammo box solution, a sort of resupply point, but that's certainly not going to be in the first few builds. There are more pressing matters than that right now.

I suggested a commissary class who could deploy ammo boxes similiar to an engineer.

Offline FKP_Blucher

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 1stBnYLR_Maj_Blucher
« Reply #99 on: December 19, 2012, 04:45:28 pm »

I suggested a commissary class who could deploy ammo boxes similiar to an engineer.

Hey just so guys know theres a an updated version on teamspeak...i have all newest work uploaded
argdagh i couldnt use ur troops file because it was outdated and removed my helmet us scriptors can not do scripting untill we all have the same versions. so please download the latest version
Leader of 1stBnYLR

Offline Connzcdf

• Major
  • Act like a wasteman, that's not me.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Connzcdf
« Reply #100 on: December 19, 2012, 05:06:43 pm »

How about that eh? Just like the film. ;)

Offline FKP_Blucher

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 1stBnYLR_Maj_Blucher
« Reply #101 on: December 19, 2012, 05:13:53 pm »

How about that eh? Just like the film. ;)

aye yes cant go wrong with a beautiful face like that :P lol
Leader of 1stBnYLR

Offline Willhelm

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Blood&Iron
« Reply #102 on: December 19, 2012, 08:13:01 pm »
Work in progress Zulu warrior.

I've just completed the uh... naked body. Now to add their minimal clothing, weapons and shield, and attempt to give them black faces.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 08:56:27 pm by Willhelm »

Offline Viktor 90th

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #103 on: December 19, 2012, 08:18:57 pm »
I've just completed the uh... naked body. Now to add their minimal clothing, weapons and shield.
(Also ignore the different ethnicity of the faces...:P)

Offline Willhelm

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Blood&Iron
« Reply #104 on: December 19, 2012, 08:22:25 pm »
I've just completed the uh... naked body. Now to add their minimal clothing, weapons and shield.
(Also ignore the different ethnicity of the faces...:P)

I'll figure it out eventually.