Author Topic: Regimental Thread For ZULU Mod  (Read 20938 times)

Offline Willhelm

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Blood&Iron
  • Nick: 32nd_Gdm_William
  • Side: Union
Re: Regimental Thread For ZULU Mod
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2012, 06:57:50 pm »
Hello Gentlemen i would like to reserve the 90th Perthshire Volunteers British Regiment for the beautiful upcoming mod  :)
Hi, Sadly i am of the same position of aldemar for iron europe, but hopefully we can resolve this a little more maturely...
I've been leading the 90th for about a year and a half, we would like to maintain the name in most sub-mods of NW
If it's a name you really wish to obtain here come and speak on the 90th's teamspeak;
Spoiler
onlygameservers.com:9996
[close]
I'd be happy figure something out  ;D

I suggest he should join your regiment but be the commander of the section for this mod.

Offline Thesmallman8

• Sergeant
  • 2ndQR Small
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2012, 07:37:47 pm »
or battalion's like 1st and 2nd ?

Offline FKP_Blucher

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 1stBnYLR_Maj_Blucher
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2012, 07:50:02 pm »
or battalion's like 1st and 2nd ?
There will not be battalions. It will all be sorted by regiments. We will not dived the 24th into 2 battalions thats a waste of unit spaces. Our units will be 24th,58th,91st,13sli,Natal unit( NO official name yet).
Cav. will prob be the 17th Lancers, Frontier Light Cav. Natal Cav
Arty Royal Artillery etc. Probly will not be any gatling gun. Atleast not anytime soon
Leader of 1stBnYLR

Offline CHARLES111MAC

• Second Lieutenant
  • The fighting Pug !!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Charles_MacDonald
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2012, 11:17:12 pm »
Have a look at the link i posted and look at some of the regimets there

“The man who has no sense of history, is like a man who has no ears or eyes”  Adolf Hitler

Offline James Grant

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2012, 11:20:10 pm »
Have a look at the link i posted and look at some of the regimets there

Thanks but we've already made our decision and compiled the necessary information.

ignore

11th January 1879. War has just broken out between the Zulu Kingdom under King Cetshwayo and the British Empire of Queen Victoria. A British army sits on the doorsteps of the Zulu Kingdom, battalions and detachments having been called in from all over South Africa for this campaign which has not yet been approved by the British parliament. One unit that was called in, the Frontier Light Horse, had just travelled through Kaffraria, across Natal to Pietermaritzburg and across the transvaal to Pretoria, and finally on to Lydenburgh where they were employed against the chief Sekokuni. This was the longest cavalry march ever conducted and not a single horse failed the regiment. Prior to the outbreak of the war the regiment was attached to Evelyn Woods column which would find the Zulu a tricky opponent at Hlobane and Khambula.

It was indeed at Hlobane that the Frontier Light Horse carved it's bloody slice in history. Upon hearing of the defeat of the no.3 column at Isandlwana whilst Colonel Charles Knight Pearson with the  no.1 column dug in at Eshowe, Wood similarly took a position at Khambula. After about two months at Khambula, in which time Lord Chelmsford ,the Officer commanding the campaign, had transferred most of the cavalry that had been with the central column to Wood, Chelmsford finally requested for Wood to stage a diversion by attacking the Abaqalusi encamped there. The abaqalusi had also been reinforced by some renegade Amaswazi, whilst most were loyal to Natal a pretender by the name of Prince Mbelini kaMswati had split off from the tribe with his followers and allied with Cetshwayo. On the 12th of March Mbelini and his eight hundred followers ambushed a company of the 80th Staffordshire and slaughtered them almost to a man. Looting their wagons of rifles, ammo and other provisions they set off for Hlobane.
After a thorough reconnoiter of Hlobane Wood released that Hlobane would not be an easy nut to crack, Wood knew his men would have difficulty scaling the steep cliffs but there were two narrow paths to the lower plateau.

At the Eastern end of the mountain lay Ityenka Nek, a high saddle of ground that gave way to steep cliffs and a high rocky terrace, notched and honeycombed with caves.
About five days prior to the attack on Hlobane a messenger reached Cetshwayo boasting of Mbelini's successes whilst more humbly requesting reinforcements before Woods assault. On March the 24th Cetshwayo dispatched his main impi, some 20,000 Zulu warriors to Hlobane.
Wood heard of the incoming reinforcements but realising they would have to come via Hlobane, did not judge his attack as a risk to his main camp at Khambula. And so it was that on March the 27th a long column of horsemen rode out of Khambula for Hlobane. The lions share of the force was 156 men of the Frontier Light Horse led by Captain Robert Barton of the Guards, The colonel Redvers Buller was in charge of the assault on Hlobane. 40 scouts led by a Boer by the name of Petrus Lafrus (and two of his sons),70 Transvaal rangers and 80 Cape colony volunteers as well as the Border Horse. Also accompanying the expedition was 277 mounted men of the Natal Native Contingent. About 700 mounted men in all, very few of whom were career soldiers like those of the Frontier Light Horse.
It was at 3pm, despite a blinding thunderstorm the following morning that Buller began the assault. The ascent however revealed another surprise, the Zulu had erected barricades at many of the entrances to the caves from where now they opened fire, Lieutenants Stietencrom and Williams along with two troopers were cut down by the opening shots. Wood could just see Buller's column ascending from the bottom of the trail and so now ordered the Border Horse to follow up the attack. It wasn't long before Abaqalusi marksmen began taking potshots at the Border Horse and just as Wood himself was remarking what terrible sharpshooters the Zulu made, his friend Llewellyn Lloyd was shot dead. A short while later another man of Wood's staff Captain Campbell, his ADC, was shot in the head. Being deeply fond of these two Wood descended to the bottom of the mountain to give his two friends a burial. As Wood now headed to the Western side of Hlobane one of his native retainers beckoned to the plain below where Wood had the shock of seeing a 20,000 strong Zulu impi assuming it's Buffalo formation. Wood could only hope that Buller too had seen the massive army.

The morning had however gone well for Buller who was just rounding up the captured cattle and was about to meet Russel's column on the lower plateau, all was going to plan until Buller came up to a steep drop of at least 130 feet, studded with rocks and boulders. And so Buller dispatched Captain Barton of the FLH to descend the terrace on the southeastern trail and find and bury the men who had been killed in the earlier skirmishes there. Barton was then to locate Weatherley and tell him to make his way back to Khambula by the preceding day's route. It was just after Barton's departure that Buller spotted the approaching Impi. Buller now realised there could be no turning back, the way they had come would soon be seeming with thousands of very hostile Zulu. A trooper was thus dispatched to Barton telling him to retire again North. It was now, with reinforcements in sight that the Zulu in sight finally became hostile, deploying in true force.
Meanwhile, Weatherley's Border Horse had reached the top of the plateau, skirmishing with the abaQulusi as they made their way upward. As the abaQulusi reinforcements arrived, Weatherley had taken his men along the northern cliffs looking for a place to descend, finding the sides of the cliffs very steep. Crossing the plateau, Weatherley encountered Barton. The Border Horse then fell in behind the FLH, and together they made their way along the plateau and started to descend along the eastern trail. Halfway down, they met the impi coming up. The lower slopes of Hlobane seemed to have turned into a seething mass of black fury.
They tried to flee via Ityenka Nek but once again found themselves cut off by the abaQulusi. Trapped the small cavalry force had no choice but to charge, but the abaQulusi stood fast and but twenty horsemen made it through the forest of Assegai. Barton and Weatherley were amongst the survivors but Weatherley had lost his son, turning around he saw Rupert lieing dazed or unconscious on some open ground. He hoisted the boy onto his horse but once again found himself confronted by the abaQulusi, he clutched the boy to his chest and bravely charged his native foes. The two were swiftly cut apart by the swift blades.
The remaining survivors with Captain Barton soon came across some mounted skirmishers of the Umcijo Amabutho who attacked and killed most of Barton's party. Barton once again survived and ran with one other but it was not long until his wounded horse fell beneath him as the UmCijo fell above him.

And so it was that Buller found himself holding a rearguard action against the Zulu horde...

[close]
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 03:51:23 pm by James Grant »

Offline CHARLES111MAC

• Second Lieutenant
  • The fighting Pug !!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Charles_MacDonald
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2012, 11:25:38 pm »
No if he wants to lead there are other regiments that were present at the time, just to stop fighting

I would sugest the 94th Scotch brigade they were scottish too and there is no nw regiment that has the name

That reminds me may i reserve the 17th Duke of Cambridge Own Lancers
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 11:29:00 pm by CHARLES111MAC »

“The man who has no sense of history, is like a man who has no ears or eyes”  Adolf Hitler

Offline FAULTYscotsman

• Second Lieutenant
  • Jacobite by Name,
    • View Profile
  • Nick: FAULTYscotsman
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2012, 12:45:33 am »
Ill guess I'll reserve the first REAL regiment.

I would like to reserve the Argyllshire Highlanders.

but if someone has more rights than me to have them ill have the Scotch Brigade
a port will save a mans life, a rifle will only keep it safe

Offline James Grant

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2012, 12:46:41 am »

I'll ask Tav for you tomorrow when he's online. But at worst you do have the Scotch Brigade if he wants the 91st in this mod.

Offline FKP_Blucher

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2012, 04:31:38 pm »

Not sure what you ment by "real Regiment" :P But all of our regiments are very real and did participate in the anglo zulu war :P
Leader of 1stBnYLR

Offline Wolfy

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • I'm not crazy. The people in my head told me.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Wolfy
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2012, 04:38:06 pm »
He is scottish so he probly thinks all other regs are not real xD jk

Offline Hawke

• Donator
  • Aquila non capit muscas.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Hawke
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2012, 04:40:58 pm »

What do you mean by "The first REAL Regiment"?

Offline Marsh

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2012, 04:50:29 pm »
21st Royal North British Fusiliers  please!

Any head up what the in-game regiments are??

Offline FKP_Blucher

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2012, 05:18:57 pm »

Any head up what the in-game regiments are??

Our units will be 24th,21st,58th,91st,13sli,90thPerth ,Natal unit( NO official name yet). These are what were hoping for.
Cav. will prob be the 17th Lancers, Frontier Light Cav. Natal Cav
Arty Royal Artillery etc. Probly will not be any gatling gun. Atleast not anytime soon
Leader of 1stBnYLR

Offline James Grant

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2012, 05:48:41 pm »

I have asked Tav of the 91st and he is wanting the 91st for this mod, sorry. I will put you down for the 94th though.

Certainly.

Offline Thesmallman8

• Sergeant
  • 2ndQR Small
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2012, 06:09:30 pm »
Hey are you gonna put a limit on how many British regiments there can be , Because there might be to many British one then Zulu?