Author Topic: The Boshin War  (Read 11810 times)

Offline SeanBeansShako

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
Re: War of the Year of the Yang Earth Dragon- A Boshin War Mod!
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2013, 10:03:03 pm »
Hey guys, remember what I said about this? you are doing it right now. Let the man work and post stuff if he has it and go back to your own mod threads.

Offline Slawtering

• Second Lieutenant
  • For Britannia!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Slawtering
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2013, 11:59:56 pm »
Good luck, make sure it doesn't turn up like mine xD

Offline kpetschulat

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Petschie
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2013, 07:54:33 am »
There's already a Boshin War mod in development, as to why people make mods with the same war, is beyond me. Join the other guys, as they could use the help... I'm silly, I mistook Harybo's mod for Boshin War, this whole time.

George, good luck. Stick with this. 95% of mods die; Even my own, which I plan to pick up again sometime after the holidays.

Offline Bluehawk

• Sergeant Major
  • чекмень - шаровары - шашка
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2013, 05:10:07 pm »
There actually was another mod on the same war, called "Boshin No Jietai: The Fall of the Samurai" but it's been dead for a long time. Now that was a terrible name. It was meant to translate to "Boshin War" but instead it says "The Self-Defense Forces of Boshin".

The reason why Boshin translates to something so crazy and apparently Engrishy as "Yang Earth Dragon" is because it's the reading for two kanji that are derived by combining two different cycles of elements, polarities and zodiac signs called Stems and Branches to form 60 different titles for the passing years. The combined word doesn't really mean anything outside of that calendar, so you have to explain how it was put together. The "Boshin War" basically just means the War of 1868, but 1868-1869 fell under the Heavenly Stem of Earth in the form of Yang Earth (the five elements are subdivided into Yin and Yang to make 10 forms) (戊) and the Earthly Branch of Dragon (辰). Together, 戊辰 is read by the Japanese as Boshin. And now you know why English historians always call it the Boshin War and never translate that word - it's not worth it.

Offline kpetschulat

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2013, 05:14:39 pm »
Pretty sure that "Boshin War" is just meant as a civil war... That's all it was, the Imperial and Shogunate loyalists fought each other for domination of the archipelago. The Shogun lost, and the war waged longer in the north to complete eradicate the Shogun supporters from mainland Japan, and shift them to Edo or remove them entirely.

Hey guys, remember what I said about this? you are doing it right now. Let the man work and post stuff if he has it and go back to your own mod threads.

I know you're admin pants are comfortable, but relax. We're talking on-topic about the era. Ever since you became admin, you've been around in the forums trying to kill conversations, threatening to take actions against people, and causing people to get frustrated with you. I understand you're doing your job, but you really need to take a step back, chill out. It's starting to get really annoying with you around here, and quite a few share my sentiment.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 05:17:43 pm by kpetschulat »

Offline SeanBeansShako

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2013, 05:26:57 pm »
Discussing the background and content of the mod is find, the moment you guys start hindering the thread with negative and pointless discussion is where I usually come in and tell you to knock it off. It doesn't really help people getting into modding by themselves when they read posts that boil down to 'You won't ever release this' or 'MOD WILL BE DEAD'.

They could go read the comments on Mod DB if they want that terrible feedback. I'm asking Gokiller if he has his guide to starting modding with Warband still. I'm going to sticky that in these forums and hopefully that will end most of the issues you guys have with solo one man mod teams.

Offline Bluehawk

• Sergeant Major
  • чекмень - шаровары - шашка
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2013, 08:05:27 pm »
Pretty sure that "Boshin War" is just meant as a civil war...

That's nice, but you won't find a dictionary that agrees with you.

Offline Willhelm

• Donator
    • View Profile
    • Blood&Iron
  • Nick: 32nd_Gdm_William
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2013, 08:53:39 pm »
Eventually I'll write a modding tutorial to help beginners for NW modding.

Offline kpetschulat

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2013, 11:31:21 pm »
Pretty sure that "Boshin War" is just meant as a civil war...

That's nice, but you won't find a dictionary that agrees with you.

Obviously not literally, Mr. Attitudepanties... ::)

Offline Rigadoon

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Rigadoon
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2013, 11:35:13 pm »
Discussing the background and content of the mod is find, the moment you guys start hindering the thread with negative and pointless discussion is where I usually come in and tell you to knock it off. It doesn't really help people getting into modding by themselves when they read posts that boil down to 'You won't ever release this' or 'MOD WILL BE DEAD'.
It saves them from wasting their time and gives them an opportunity to actually slow down and think about how to create a successful mod. It is 100% guaranteed that mods that start this way will fail. You only need to look at the hundreds of examples on TW and the dozens here. Letting them know of what's going to happen doesn't hurt them, it gives them a more realistic opportunity of creating the mod in the future once they've learned a bit more.

They could go read the comments on Mod DB if they want that terrible feedback. I'm asking Gokiller if he has his guide to starting modding with Warband still. I'm going to sticky that in these forums and hopefully that will end most of the issues you guys have with solo one man mod teams.
No offense to Gokiller but what mods has he actually completed?

Offline kpetschulat

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2013, 11:36:22 pm »
Bello Civili, but that wasn't his project.

Offline Dom13WorstNW

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2013, 05:01:17 am »
Eventually I'll write a modding tutorial to help beginners for NW modding.

yes please  :D  :-*

Good Luck with the mod

Offline Willhelm

• Donator
    • View Profile
    • Blood&Iron
  • Nick: 32nd_Gdm_William
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2013, 01:42:58 pm »
Bello Civili, but that wasn't his project.

He did about 5 or 6 maps i think which are quite popular.

Offline kpetschulat

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2013, 05:21:32 pm »
Yeah, but those are maps. I was just answering Rigadoons question.

Offline Thompson

• Sergeant
  • The South will Rise again. Thompson Best VA.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Thompson
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2013, 05:12:20 am »
are you still working on this mod? i'm willing to help

I am a troll, for the resons of reforming a nation wide union of. I enjoy long walks on the beach, and long sex with your mothers. I don't know who you are, I don't know what you want. But I will find you, and I will troll you.