Author Topic: What would you have been?  (Read 52666 times)

Offline Galadhion

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Galadhion
  • Side: Union
Re: What would you have been?
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2013, 07:11:57 pm »
Considering I'm 15 years old, I'd probably be an unfortunate drummer boy :3

But leaving age out of the picture, I'd probably enlist in the Batavian Republic's army after Napoleon marched in and conquered us. I would join a Jager regiment and probably meet my end in Russia or against the Prussians.

Offline James Grant

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2013, 02:00:17 am »
Judging by my height I'd probably be a grenadier.

Though my Great great great great Grandfather was a lieutenant in the 4th Irish Dragoon Guards. So I'd be that I suppose.

Offline Willhelm

• Donator
    • View Profile
    • Blood&Iron
  • Nick: 32nd_Gdm_William
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2013, 02:48:48 am »
Rifleman probably.

Offline Sethja8

• Second Lieutenant
  • infamous soundmod creator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: [1erPLG]Lans_Sethja8
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2013, 03:02:28 am »
Interesting for me to be the least, I suppose I can put an input.

Since my decent is from Lithuania I could make it out as a 3eme Lancer for the French or a Lithuanian Lancer for the Russians.  I've never rode a horse, though, and I don't feel a pole weapon is my type of thing...

Since I'm skinny and have a lot of stamina I think I'd best be fight as a light infantryman or Jager.

Offline Menelaos

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2013, 05:01:08 am »
Average height as increased, I'm sure those who wanted the Grens are going to be line. I'd like to make/rifles but I doubt I'd pass.

Offline kpetschulat

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Petschie
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2013, 05:22:59 am »
Dutch - Tallest people in the world.

Duuring, just stop. Dutch are in no way the tallest people in the world. Don't be cocky now.

Anywho, quite honestly, I would more than likely be made as a grenadier no matter the army I am put into. I'm very tall, 6'5". Sorta fat, this'll change though. I'm incredibly stong, and I have a most fearsome aura about me. One that could strike fear into my enemy. I'd love to stab a few people with Bayonet's. Give them cold steel to their gut, lift them up, pound them to the ground, and curbstomp or bash their head in. Hmmm... Duuring would be one! For thinking the Dutch, who are mutated Germans, as being the tallest people in the world. :D I'd also like to bayonet charge BETTY_THE_BOMBER into a spike wall as well. Just to teach that lousy tea-drinker to piss off. Well, he'll be dead.

I wish I would be of stature to be a Hussar, however my equestrian skills are terrible. I find Hussars to be so arrogant and cocky, much like myself. I have great sword skills, but again, horseback? No. I don't think I'd be able to hit anything with a sword on horseback.

Offline Menelaos

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2013, 05:49:09 am »
If I could be cavalry it would be lancer for me, always in deadly charges routing the enemy fast if decisive enough.

Offline Frederickson

• First Lieutenant
  • "La Garde meurt, mais ne se rend pas."
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 2de_Lt_Frederickson
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2013, 07:18:44 am »
Being second generation canadian-Dutch...

I would have been a not so well off, but well read young dutchman who would most likely have joined up with the revolutionary forces in france.

Due to my height I would have ended up a grenadier, and who knows with my wits and knowledge I could possible become an officer in time for the napoleonic wars. fight at Austerlitz, Eylau, and experience the horror of the retreat from moscow... maybe even fight in the hundred days campaign...

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2013, 08:20:39 am »
Dutch - Tallest people in the world.

Duuring, just stop. Dutch are in no way the tallest people in the world. Don't be cocky now.

Anywho, quite honestly, I would more than likely be made as a grenadier no matter the army I am put into. I'm very tall, 6'5". Sorta fat, this'll change though. I'm incredibly stong, and I have a most fearsome aura about me. One that could strike fear into my enemy. I'd love to stab a few people with Bayonet's. Give them cold steel to their gut, lift them up, pound them to the ground, and curbstomp or bash their head in. Hmmm... Duuring would be one! For thinking the Dutch, who are mutated Germans, as being the tallest people in the world. :D I'd also like to bayonet charge BETTY_THE_BOMBER into a spike wall as well. Just to teach that lousy tea-drinker to piss off. Well, he'll be dead.

I wish I would be of stature to be a Hussar, however my equestrian skills are terrible. I find Hussars to be so arrogant and cocky, much like myself. I have great sword skills, but again, horseback? No. I don't think I'd be able to hit anything with a sword on horseback.

http://m.wisegeek.org/which-country-has-the-tallest-people.htm

Boom.

Offline Menelaos

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2013, 02:01:57 pm »
It's worthy to note that average height is around 5"9, that means that most of us would have been line, because it was harder to make the grenadiers and average height has decreased. I know that French grenadiers were veterans later on, meaning you needed service.

Offline GoldenEagle

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Abii
« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2013, 03:01:58 pm »
I don't understand how high you have to be to be a grenadier. Can someone give me a short answer: Im 187 high, could I possibly be a grenadier or not?

Offline kpetschulat

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Petschie
« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2013, 03:43:11 pm »
I don't understand how high you have to be to be a grenadier. Can someone give me a short answer: Im 187 high, could I possibly be a grenadier or not?

I believe a grenadier had to be around 6'0", had to be a certain weight too. Obviously had to be capable with a musket at ranged, and in melee. It really depends on the nation. I can't speak too much for it, all that I know is that one look at me from an army officer back then, they'd immediately make me a grenadier because of how big I am.

After doing some quick research, according to 2 sources, pre-1806 Prussian Army Reforms, Grenadiers were actually volunteers. However, those who were fitted to be a grenadier were weeded out from the rest. A grenadier had to be 6'1" and had to be at least 230 pounds. He had to have extreme skill and discipline. Post-1806 Prussian Army Reforms, the standard was actually lowered! However, by 1 inch (Grenadiers had to be 6'0") and had to weight 200 pounds. I'm sure this is because the Prussians were in a scramble to get armies up and running. However, even with the new Grenadiers standards, the picked grenadiers had to still show extreme skill and discipline. Also, grenadiers often formed the vanguard of an attack. They were the first to hit the enemy lines, and in case of a siege, were the first to charge through a breached wall.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 03:55:24 pm by kpetschulat »

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2013, 04:43:59 pm »

I believe a French line grenadier was 176, a carabineer 174,5 and a grenadier of the guard 178. But, experience was often more reason for people to get in the elite companies or guard regiments.

Offline GoldenEagle

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Abii
« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2013, 06:48:31 pm »

I believe a grenadier had to be around 6'0", had to be a certain weight too. Obviously had to be capable with a musket at ranged, and in melee. It really depends on the nation. I can't speak too much for it, all that I know is that one look at me from an army officer back then, they'd immediately make me a grenadier because of how big I am.

After doing some quick research, according to 2 sources, pre-1806 Prussian Army Reforms, Grenadiers were actually volunteers. However, those who were fitted to be a grenadier were weeded out from the rest. A grenadier had to be 6'1" and had to be at least 230 pounds. He had to have extreme skill and discipline. Post-1806 Prussian Army Reforms, the standard was actually lowered! However, by 1 inch (Grenadiers had to be 6'0") and had to weight 200 pounds. I'm sure this is because the Prussians were in a scramble to get armies up and running. However, even with the new Grenadiers standards, the picked grenadiers had to still show extreme skill and discipline. Also, grenadiers often formed the vanguard of an attack. They were the first to hit the enemy lines, and in case of a siege, were the first to charge through a breached wall.

I make up with my height, but not with my weight :( but thanks for information

I believe a French line grenadier was 176, a carabineer 174,5 and a grenadier of the guard 178. But, experience was often more reason for people to get in the elite companies or guard regiments.

I understand why  ;D Charging into enemies shooting at you isn't an easy task.

Offline Jefferson

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2013, 08:13:50 pm »
With family hailing from Rutland and Silesia respectively, but no personal affiliation with horses, I would have either been a member of the Rutlanshire regiment of foot, or a part of the Polish Legion. Going by my general mediocrity I would have been a line infantryman.