Author Topic: Blood and Iron - General discussion.  (Read 271310 times)

Offline von_Bismarck

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Blood and Iron - A Franco-Prussian War mod. (New Update page 29)
« Reply #450 on: April 12, 2013, 03:17:03 pm »
[close]
image of fighting during the battle of Sedan, franco-prussian war. here you can see prussian lines drawn up and firing with many dead and wounded around. this type of warfare was still around at the time and it wasn't until 1884 that Hiram Maxim's new invention was introduced. breach loading weapons of better quality continued to be developed through this last half of the century and also artillery was further developed as these new rifles now had greater range then the canister fire range of canons so better use of howitzers began to develop with there range and accuracy increasing each time.
the franco prussian war was the last major war between two european powers until WW1 which by then no one had any real experience with the new inventions leading to old age tactics being used and the slaughter that followed.

I don't think linebattles will be possible in this mod.. rifles already had very long range and a fast reload (but still single-shot) around this time. Artillery will be even more powerful, if Willhelm has success making the mitrailleuse this will make the things drastically different. This will develop the creation of player-made cover in open field maps.

Offline Willhelm

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Blood&Iron
  • Nick: 32nd_Gdm_William
  • Side: Union
« Reply #451 on: April 12, 2013, 03:29:37 pm »
I don't think those photos are staged, you can see people firing and bodies, I don't think it would have gone down well to stage it, plus as said they didn't use blanks. They're great photos, the first confirmed photos of combat, i hope to recreate those scenes eventually.

[close]
image of fighting during the battle of Sedan, franco-prussian war. here you can see prussian lines drawn up and firing with many dead and wounded around. this type of warfare was still around at the time and it wasn't until 1884 that Hiram Maxim's new invention was introduced. breach loading weapons of better quality continued to be developed through this last half of the century and also artillery was further developed as these new rifles now had greater range then the canister fire range of canons so better use of howitzers began to develop with there range and accuracy increasing each time.
the franco prussian war was the last major war between two european powers until WW1 which by then no one had any real experience with the new inventions leading to old age tactics being used and the slaughter that followed.

I don't think linebattles will be possible in this mod.. rifles already had very long range and a fast reload (but still single-shot) around this time. Artillery will be even more powerful, if Willhelm has success making the mitrailleuse this will make the things drastically different. This will develop the creation of player-made cover in open field maps.

I've already begun adding more cover to the default maps, i think line battles will be possible to an extent but regiments will have to use skirmish formations and get behind cover, It won't be too unfamiliar to napoleonic wars and i think skirmisher regiments will feel at home, forming a line in combat would be suicide though, just playing with the bots in custom battle, a volley in NWs that would take out 3 or 4 men takes out 15.

This is the accuracy of the Chassepot and Dreyse without bayonets in the hands of regular line infantry.
Spoiler

[close]

Offline von_Bismarck

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: April 12, 2013, 03:56:45 pm »

[close]

I've already begun adding more cover to the default maps, i think line battles will be possible to an extent but regiments will have to use skirmish formations and get behind cover, It won't be too unfamiliar to napoleonic wars and i think skirmisher regiments will feel at home, forming a line in combat would be suicide though, just playing with the bots in custom battle, a volley in NWs that would take out 3 or 4 men takes out 15.

This is the accuracy of the Chassepot and Dreyse without bayonets in the hands of regular line infantry.
Spoiler

[close]

You are right, linebattles will be possible to a limited extent.
Just, please make the weapons as they were in the real life, not like if they were muskets.

Offline Betaknight

• Major
  • To Protect and To Serve
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Betaknight
« Reply #453 on: April 12, 2013, 04:02:08 pm »
We wont know till you've tested it
The first modder for NW.

Offline Willhelm

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Blood&Iron
« Reply #454 on: April 12, 2013, 04:15:11 pm »
Don't worry they're nothing like muskets.

Offline SeanBeansShako

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: April 12, 2013, 04:25:31 pm »
Lets not beat around the bush, you won't be able to do line battles with this mod.

You'd have to think up a new event with an entirely new rule set.

Offline Matthew

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • ლ(◕◡◕ლ) oly gaym y u heff 2 b med
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Matthew ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
« Reply #456 on: April 12, 2013, 04:33:54 pm »
Lets not beat around the bush, you won't be able to do line battles with this mod.

Its about the same accuracy as NaS and we do lb with that, we just stand further away =)
"A Boss in Heaven is the best excuse for a boss on earth, therefore If God did exist, he would have to be abolished." - Mikhail Bakunin
"Dispassionate, fair, equal"
Oh you wanted a serious response, why didn't you just say so.
b2e98ad6f6eb8508dd6a14cfa704bad7f05f6fb

Offline Willhelm

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Blood&Iron
« Reply #457 on: April 12, 2013, 04:35:54 pm »
It's more accurate than north and south and faster firing. I think it will work out though, you'll just find yourself engaging at longer ranges.

Offline von_Bismarck

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: April 12, 2013, 04:37:07 pm »
It's more accurate than north and south and faster firing. I think it will work out though, you'll just find yourself engaging at longer ranges.

Certainly, most of the weapons used in the american civil war were from the 1840's and they were basically like the muskets from the napoleonic wars.

Offline Willhelm

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Blood&Iron
« Reply #459 on: April 12, 2013, 04:39:07 pm »
They were muzzle loading rifles, these are breach loading rifles

Offline Landrik

• First Lieutenant
  • Слава Україні!
    • View Profile
    • Infanterie-Regiment 208 (Reenacted)
  • Nick: Landrik
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #460 on: April 12, 2013, 04:42:57 pm »
You fellas make it sound like it's the end of the world with single-shot bolt action rifles. Bear in mind AZW and NaS have rifles, so there's more initiative in terrain as well as skirmishing and marksmanship. Much like during the FPW as well as ACW, common sense cover and use of doubletime and quicktime marching would be used extensively.
Humans are extremely complicated creatures. Death uncomplicates them to a frightening degree...

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: April 12, 2013, 05:10:25 pm »

Certainly, most of the weapons used in the american civil war were from the 1840's and they were basically like the muskets from the napoleonic wars.
most civil war muskets were produced in the mid to late 1850's and early 60's. Unlike muskets of the Napoelinci wars these were rifled so far more accurate
Of course, I also think lines should be able to move in double rank without having emotional breakdowns.

Offline SeanBeansShako

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: April 12, 2013, 05:13:21 pm »

Its about the same accuracy as NaS and we do lb with that, we just stand further away =)

In my opinion, I really think the N&S Smoothbore muskets are waaaay too accurate.

Offline kpetschulat

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Petschie
« Reply #463 on: April 12, 2013, 05:16:09 pm »

In my opinion, I really think the N&S Smoothbore muskets are waaaay too accurate.

The muskets in N&S are not smoothbores, man. As Millander and others said. During the 1850s, it became the standard for rifling muskets. Even some muskets made int he 1840s were rifled as well. Yes, some soldiers during the Civil War had smoothbores, but those were farmers, and other soldiers formed into militia regiments where the government could not supply them.

Offline Willhelm

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Blood&Iron
« Reply #464 on: April 12, 2013, 05:17:24 pm »

They're rifled muskets in N&S, i think their accuracy is good but i don't think it should be that bad with bayonets.