Author Topic: Blood and Iron - General discussion.  (Read 271332 times)

Offline Wismar

• Donator
  • Med Gud o' Sveas allmoge för Konung och Fosterland
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Radical
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: Blood and Iron - A Franco-Prussian War mod. (Revolvers page 8)
« Reply #135 on: March 11, 2013, 08:30:37 am »
http://www.imagesdesoldats.com/fr/74-second-empire

It's a website ho gives examples of uniforms during this war : )

I hope that it will be realese soon and that there will be the " Infanterie de Marine " and the Montigny Mitrailleuse (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montigny_mitrailleuse ) For france  : D

A French People who love u for this mod <3
This mod won't be so fun for you when you get in-game with me!
You foolish Frenchmen!

Offline LeBrun

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #136 on: March 11, 2013, 11:50:19 am »
We'll see that on the battlefield when you will be taken under the fire of our Chassepots !

Offline Zoring

• Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 11, 2013, 02:11:38 pm »
Hello chaps, signed up to comment on your awesome looking mod. Looks really great and the models and guns look very impressive.

I have a few historical suggestions, I think you should reconsider how the greatcoat is worn on the Prussian Infantry, 'en-bandolier' was the regulation on how it was worn in the Franco-Prussian war, and photographs of the soldiers in field kit from the time seem to suggest that was the case, i have attached a photo and a quote from 'German Armies 1870-71'

Secondly, how the gun is held, it is quite awkward to have it on the shoulder, then flipping to the firing position. A much more natural pose would be to have it it in the 'charged' position, that is held horizontally, this was how it would have been held in hand to hand combat, and also when closing with the enemy. It will also animate much more naturally, raising to the shoulder and firing, then dropping to the charge position to reload, rather than on the shoulder. An alternative would be having the Prussians carry the gun 'at the trail' held alongside the side of the body.

Perhaps the muzzle loading M1850 pistol isn't much fun, but it was very common, certainly if single-player is considered and hopefully it is, then it should be considered.

At any rate, keep up the good work! Love to see a totally neglected period getting some attention :)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 02:15:33 pm by Zoring »

Offline SeanBeansShako

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #138 on: March 11, 2013, 02:36:10 pm »
I wouldn't mind if the M1850, It could be an interesting one shot Cav trooper sidearm at least.

Will you be offering Officers a choice of two different sword designs as well? and good luck finding a coder.

Offline Willhelm

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Blood&Iron
  • Nick: 32nd_Gdm_William
« Reply #139 on: March 11, 2013, 03:05:00 pm »
Hello chaps, signed up to comment on your awesome looking mod. Looks really great and the models and guns look very impressive.

I have a few historical suggestions, I think you should reconsider how the greatcoat is worn on the Prussian Infantry, 'en-bandolier' was the regulation on how it was worn in the Franco-Prussian war, and photographs of the soldiers in field kit from the time seem to suggest that was the case, i have attached a photo and a quote from 'German Armies 1870-71'

Secondly, how the gun is held, it is quite awkward to have it on the shoulder, then flipping to the firing position. A much more natural pose would be to have it it in the 'charged' position, that is held horizontally, this was how it would have been held in hand to hand combat, and also when closing with the enemy. It will also animate much more naturally, raising to the shoulder and firing, then dropping to the charge position to reload, rather than on the shoulder. An alternative would be having the Prussians carry the gun 'at the trail' held alongside the side of the body.

Perhaps the muzzle loading M1850 pistol isn't much fun, but it was very common, certainly if single-player is considered and hopefully it is, then it should be considered.

At any rate, keep up the good work! Love to see a totally neglected period getting some attention :)

It's true that they often wore their great coats around them like in those images, but they also wore them folded over their backpack. In the mod i actually have two variants for each uniform, one with it folded over the backpack and one tied around them, I will take a screenshot later. The French mobile guard also have a lot of variation, four different torso options and two different kepis.

I do agree that going to the firing position from standing still does a strange movement with the gun but this game is designed for regiments which like to stand neatly on parade so changing the stand animation to an "at the ready" or charging pose would make parade and formations look messy and unorganized. I'm going to try add the 1850 for Prussian cavalry but it might not be possible because the pistols now use the revolver animation, it means i'd have to convert archery into pistols or something.

I wouldn't mind if the M1850, It could be an interesting one shot Cav trooper sidearm at least.

Will you be offering Officers a choice of two different sword designs as well? and good luck finding a coder.

To be honest i haven't even got to swords yet. I'll give them a choice if it's historical. I don't need any coder, I can code, I need an advanced coder, someone who can do really complex things.

Offline Davout

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 11, 2013, 05:49:12 pm »
Not sure if you have seen this? : http://francoprussianwar.com/

Also a nice video on it:

« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 05:55:33 pm by Davout »

Offline TORN

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: TORN
« Reply #141 on: March 11, 2013, 05:50:58 pm »
great site!

Offline kpetschulat

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Petschie
« Reply #142 on: March 11, 2013, 07:08:32 pm »
I found that shows the different stances both that of Line Infantry and Skirmish Infantry (Jaegers, Hunters, and Light Infantry Battalions). I think it will help with some animations for the mod. Note, the first picture is the original image, the second one I edited the color of the blocks and added explanations.

(Original) Prussian Infantry Stances...
[close]

(Edited) Prussian Infantry Stances...
  • (Blue) As you can see, they are holding the gun on the top of the stock, but tight to the shoulder. This was actually said to be more comfortable to march with, but was harder to get the gun ready since you had to whip the gun down, possibly clubbing the inside of your arm. Do note, it is considerably different to how they held the gun 50 years prior, it was held straight to the side and pressed to down with the forearm, sort of forming an "L" shape. This stance will be good for the walking/marching animation, and when the player is idle, to hold the gun at the shoulder.
  • (Red) The furthest left (Red) soldier is marching with his bayonet "charged." This means his bayonet is front of him, and he is ready for melee combat or a charge. The soldier to his right is simply running at a double-step. Sort of an irregular look. This could be a cool animation for the mod for running with a with a gun that has an attached bayonet. As for the former will be good when the gun is in melee mode.
  • (Yellow) These soldiers simply show the way the men held their gun, but also look at mirrored images on the bottom. It shows the equipment and gear variations for the soldiers of the time, both in standard dress and winter dress with greatcoat. Same for the Jaegers. Are you planning on adding every variation of the uniforms for the Prussian soldiers? Also, nitce that the Jaegers did not have lots of equipment. They traveled light.
  • (Green) These are just simply the firing stances the Jaegers used. For the man crouching, you can change the current animation, which looks incredibly uncomfortable, to how the soldier is in the picture, who is actually kneeling. It's a more practical and comfortable looking stance, and would probably be favorited by the community. To be honest, Mount and Musket crouching animation was exactly that! Maybe Vince and FSE can lend you the animation they used for this mod. Who knows? Maybe they will!
[close]
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 07:10:40 pm by kpetschulat »

Offline Willhelm

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Blood&Iron
« Reply #143 on: March 11, 2013, 08:32:48 pm »

Also a nice video on it:

Seen them all, very interesting videos although they are the Austro-Prussian war.
I found that shows the different stances both that of Line Infantry and Skirmish Infantry (Jaegers, Hunters, and Light Infantry Battalions). I think it will help with some animations for the mod. Note, the first picture is the original image, the second one I edited the color of the blocks and added explanations.

[close]

• (Blue) As you can see, they are holding the gun on the top of the stock, but tight to the shoulder. This was actually said to be more comfortable to march with, but was harder to get the gun ready since you had to whip the gun down, possibly clubbing the inside of your arm. Do note, it is considerably different to how they held the gun 50 years prior, it was held straight to the side and pressed to down with the forearm, sort of forming an "L" shape. This stance will be good for the walking/marching animation, and when the player is idle, to hold the gun at the shoulder.
  • (Red) The furthest left (Red) soldier is marching with his bayonet "charged." This means his bayonet is front of him, and he is ready for melee combat or a charge. The soldier to his right is simply running at a double-step. Sort of an irregular look. This could be a cool animation for the mod for running with a with a gun that has an attached bayonet. As for the former will be good when the gun is in melee mode.
  • (Yellow) These soldiers simply show the way the men held their gun, but also look at mirrored images on the bottom. It shows the equipment and gear variations for the soldiers of the time, both in standard dress and winter dress with greatcoat. Same for the Jaegers. Are you planning on adding every variation of the uniforms for the Prussian soldiers? Also, nitce that the Jaegers did not have lots of equipment. They traveled light.
  • (Green) These are just simply the firing stances the Jaegers used. For the man crouching, you can change the current animation, which looks incredibly uncomfortable, to how the soldier is in the picture, who is actually kneeling. It's a more practical and comfortable looking stance, and would probably be favorited by the community. To be honest, Mount and Musket crouching animation was exactly that! Maybe Vince and FSE can lend you the animation they used for this mod. Who knows? Maybe they will!
[close]

I've got those sources already but your break down was very helpful. I'd already thought about a charging animation and i will try to implement it, i think it can be possibly by tricking the game into thinking a gun in bayonet mode is a sword which will force the sword animation, which i could then change to that, hopefully. Most animations are getting changed and I'm also looking into making a prone feature which I've had limited success with.

Offline BSM 'Shut up' Williams

• First Lieutenant
  • Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna!
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
  • Nick: Jean Grande
« Reply #144 on: March 11, 2013, 11:41:11 pm »

Also a nice video on it:

Seen them all, very interesting videos although they are the Austro-Prussian war.

[close]

[close]

I've got those sources already but your break down was very helpful. I'd already thought about a charging animation and i will try to implement it, i think it can be possibly by tricking the game into thinking a gun in bayonet mode is a sword which will force the sword animation, which i could then change to that, hopefully. Most animations are getting changed and I'm also looking into making a prone feature which I've had limited success with.

Well still good to try.

Steam Profile Signature
[close]

Offline Willhelm

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Blood&Iron
« Reply #145 on: March 12, 2013, 04:31:13 pm »
Your character will now do a Bayonet charge while in melee mode and running with a bayonet, he runs normally with bullets selected. Not sure if the animation is finalised I'll wait for feedback, maybe the left arm could be further forward?

Spoiler

[close]

Offline SeanBeansShako

• Major
    • View Profile
Re: Blood and Iron - A Franco-Prussian War mod. (Bayonet Charge page 10)
« Reply #146 on: March 12, 2013, 04:36:53 pm »
That looks pretty good, combined with the more aggressive taunts it'll be a terrifying sight during a line battle.

Offline TORN

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: TORN
« Reply #147 on: March 12, 2013, 04:41:37 pm »
i think the arms should be a bit more spread out.

Offline kpetschulat

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Petschie
« Reply #148 on: March 12, 2013, 05:01:01 pm »
No, the animation is fine. That's how they held the guns.

Offline Betaknight

• Major
  • To Protect and To Serve
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Betaknight
« Reply #149 on: March 12, 2013, 05:10:05 pm »
I want proper marching animations. Not just the default nw animations
The first modder for NW.