Author Topic: Scottish Independance  (Read 12393 times)

Offline Hekko

• Captain
  • I host stuff
    • View Profile
    • 15e Website
  • Nick: Nr24_Gren_Hptm_Hekko
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Scottish Independance
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2012, 05:10:46 pm »
With the amount of public debt that Norway has i do not think that would be a smart idea, they need projects for the future when that oil runs out ;)

33,8% of GDP? If you see that in light of the fact that the Norweigan budget surplus was 15% of GDP and you can see that Norweigan public debt situation is far from bad.

For instance the UK has a public debt of 85,3% of GDP with a budget deficit of 8,3% of GDP.

Ontop of this norway has their state oil fund that is worth some 396ish billion USD.

The state revenue on scotland in 2011 was estimated at 53,1 billion GBP
And the expenditure was at 63,8 billion GBP

If we assume that Norway by turning Scotland into an investment could flip those numbers around so that it would be running a surplus of 10,7 billion GBP, into perpetuity, instead of a deficit and we assume a capital cost of 5% Scotland would be worth 10,7/0,05=214 billion GBP, or 341 billion USD

So Norway could afford Scotland simply by selling off assets from it's oilfund.

Sources: http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2012/03/9525
http://www.norges-bank.no/en/
http://www.nbim.no/en/Investments/Market-Value/key-figures/
https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/index.html

I think Scotland should be sold to Norway, I mean let's be honest, Norway has the dough to buy it, and it would bail out the UK economy, furthermore it would set back Alex Salmond in his huffing and puffing atleast 20 years!

Are you being serious or is this a joke?

Just following the general tone of the thread
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 05:13:08 pm by Hekko »

Offline Daniel

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Daniel
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2012, 05:11:37 pm »
Alex Salmond has watched Braveheart too many times.

@Hekko, Before I wrote what I wrote, I understood the current situation of both the UK and Norway in terms of debt, but any debt is not good and one does not simply turn something into an investment and Its not like its even possible to by a country in this day and age, im sure if it was to be sold there would be a public up-raw from the Scottish population.

But although this has turned rather serious, I made this thread for one reason, to see if there was any Bravehearts in the community and if so how many. I really enjoyed reading this part "The state revenue on scotland in 2011 was estimated at 53,1 billion GBP And the expenditure was at 63,8 billion GBP"
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 05:20:46 pm by Daniel »

Offline Augy

• Major General
  • Anarchist. Absurdist. Existentialist. Man. Human.
    • View Profile
    • The Royal Recruits
  • Nick: -[TRR]- Cpt. Augy
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2012, 05:13:50 pm »
Alex Salmond has Mel Gibson- Syndrome
“Ego is a structure that is erected by a neurotic individual who is a member of a neurotic culture against the facts of the matter. And culture, which we put on like an overcoat, is the collectivized consensus about what sort of neurotic behaviors are acceptable.” -Terence McKenna

Offline Hekko

• Captain
  • I host stuff
    • View Profile
    • 15e Website
  • Nick: Nr24_Gren_Hptm_Hekko
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2012, 07:24:22 pm »
Alex Salmond has watched Braveheart too many times.

@Hekko, Before I wrote what I wrote, I understood the current situation of both the UK and Norway in terms of debt, but any debt is not good and one does not simply turn something into an investment and Its not like its even possible to by a country in this day and age, im sure if it was to be sold there would be a public up-raw from the Scottish population.

But although this has turned rather serious, I made this thread for one reason, to see if there was any Bravehearts in the community and if so how many. I really enjoyed reading this part "The state revenue on scotland in 2011 was estimated at 53,1 billion GBP And the expenditure was at 63,8 billion GBP"

The existance of debt is not intrinsincly bad or good, it's the amount, interest and other things that determine if it's a problem or not. The Norseigan debt is far from a problem, as shown in my quick numbers, and norway has capacity to borrow alot more.

It's highly improbable to sell a country, but still possible I reckon. Having said that I don't really ser selling scotland as an option. And buying a country would not really be a good investment anyway.

Before you're too happy about the fact that scotland is running a deficit, consider the fact that as long as the deficit it is running is lower, as a percentage of GDP, than the UK deficit of 8,3% Scotland would benefit from independence (including things that are common for the whole UK such as defence, financing EU, foreign policy, scotlands fair share of sovreign debt interest and other similar services the story is likely to change).

Both the UK and scotland would be worse of in the case of a split, because some things are economies of scale and the bigger the country, the lower the burden on the individual taxpayer.

Offline Craig

• Captain
  • Help help I'm being reported!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Craig
  • Side: Union
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2012, 11:10:58 pm »
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLrrBs8JBQo[/youtube]
WILLIEM WALLACE KILLED FEFTY MEN

~~ No one gives a fuck about what you admin~~

Offline Xanderman

• Donator
  • Victory through incompetence. Old 7th guards rifle
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Alexander
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2012, 07:58:41 pm »
FREEEDOMMMM!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcoVxbutl8g[/youtube]
but seriously if Scotland goes independent i think we should give them Wales as a little goodbye present.

Offline Kamov

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 92nd_Pte_Andrew_Rutherford
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2012, 09:37:58 pm »
Would prefer it if Alex Salmon dropped dead, can't say anything bad about getting independence because supporters start screaming about oil, forgetting about our free healthcare and free education, that and being pretty important to the UK because of some naval bases and far up RAF bases. Not only that the salmon has only recently wanted to be in NATO.

He's a pandering cunt, only good for opposition.

Offline Van_Hulstein

• Captain
  • Orangist and very proud ex-33rd Lieutenant.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: NL_VanHulstein
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2012, 07:57:51 pm »
Go Scottland!
Nunc aut nunquam

Offline Jacob

• Alpha Tester
  • Back after a long long time away :)
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Jacob
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2012, 11:40:47 pm »
Forgive me if I am wrong, I can only say what I am told....

I hear that Alex Salmon wants to have all universities free, and considering Scotland isn't exactly known for having a booming economy, I wonder how he will support that for more than a few years??

Also I heard likening to Alex Salmon as Hitler so some pictures were made... (I don't feel they are appropriate for these forums)

Offline Treble

• Sergeant Major
  • top kek melee player
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Treble
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2012, 12:27:40 am »
can we have a vote in the poll that says "im staying out of this" :3

Offline Omaha

• Sergeant
  • I hate everything
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Omaha
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2012, 02:35:11 am »
can we have a vote in the poll that says "im staying out of this" :3

If you're not Scottish then it shouldn't matter to you. There's no point in that option.
I like to list all of my positions in my signature to make it look like I am a much higher standing member of the community than everyone else.

Offline [91st] Official

• Major
    • View Profile
    • 91st Regiment of Foot - Argyllshire Highlanders
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2012, 02:42:41 am »
How did I not know about this thread?

Pro-Union all the way!

Offline Menelaos

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2012, 05:22:06 am »
As a foreigner this seems stupid and uncalled for. (I don't know much on this)

Offline Daniel

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Daniel
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2012, 07:57:46 am »
If you're not Scottish then it shouldn't matter to you. There's no point in that option.

It matters as much to the rest of the UK as it does to Scotland, but allowed the whole UK to vote would not be right. Although im pretty sure Doncaster will be able to vote due to something like it was conquered by Scotland before the union and was never given back to England and is technically still part of Scotland.

Offline Aimedaxis

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2012, 09:51:56 am »
I myself am English, however I am half scottish and have a very rich and deep Scottish heritage, I personally think scotland should not exit the UK, as I could only see negatives for all parties involved. Scotland's been a part of the uk for too long to leave it now I believe.