Author Topic: The end of NW?  (Read 21136 times)

Offline Malakith

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: The end of NW?
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2013, 01:51:51 pm »
The difference between the swap from MM to NW is at its core the game functionality was still the same.

Nowhere has BCOF promised to allow you to replicate custom run events like you do them now, they HAVE announced you can't make custom maps or have any form of "random map generator" akin to the feature we have now, until they get round to making and releasing a map editor toolset which wont be at launch.
On the information provided thus far it could be a Civil War setting Battlefield clone, which comes nowhere close to what we have no in terms of allowing you to run events like the ones people here enjoy.

You can't make claims either way until the nature of the game is fully revealed instead of airy fairy talk about what people "think" "should" be in it.

MagicTeatowel

« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2013, 03:09:51 pm »
If FSE arent going to do it then we need to get

*cough Hinkel* To make a NW mod for either Bannerlord or BCoF *cough Hinkel*

Offline Betaknight

• Major
  • To Protect and To Serve
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Betaknight
  • Side: Union
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2013, 03:38:18 pm »
Not sure.... But.... BCoF is on another engine. New code... Takes long to find out how to mod... Learn to do things again. Might take a while. Not to mention he also is developing his own game too.
The first modder for NW.

Offline Newkirk

• Colonel
  • 27th Relic
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Old Mr. Kirk
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2013, 06:32:26 pm »

NW still has a good couple years left in it, and I wouldn't expect it to properly die before 2015, unless one of the contenders (War of Rights, BCoF, or maybe even M&B2) is good and ends up sapping the players from this.

I disagree entirely. NW does not have a few years left. It will quite possibly go on for another year, after the release of BCoF, and it will have one or two events, most likely. I feel this way because I can come to see that most of the people who say they won't play BCoF, probably will still play it. The exact same talk occurred when the time came 'round to switch to NW from MM, and almost everybody I knew said they wouldn't buy it...They ended up doing so anyways.

But, atm, I think the community is doing fine. The Steam sales always bring a rejuvenating amount of players into the community, and whether they leave or not, some will always stay.

Well Apollo there's also the fact that a good portion of the EU community could care less about the ACW. I feel that the vast majority of the NA community will switch to BCoF, and part of the EU community. But I still think there will be a decent amount of EU players and events for NW after the release of BCoF. I'm sure several will buy the game just to see what FSE did with it, but will still keep events in NW.

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2013, 08:59:37 pm »

NW still has a good couple years left in it, and I wouldn't expect it to properly die before 2015, unless one of the contenders (War of Rights, BCoF, or maybe even M&B2) is good and ends up sapping the players from this.

I disagree entirely. NW does not have a few years left. It will quite possibly go on for another year, after the release of BCoF, and it will have one or two events, most likely. I feel this way because I can come to see that most of the people who say they won't play BCoF, probably will still play it. The exact same talk occurred when the time came 'round to switch to NW from MM, and almost everybody I knew said they wouldn't buy it...They ended up doing so anyways.

But, atm, I think the community is doing fine. The Steam sales always bring a rejuvenating amount of players into the community, and whether they leave or not, some will always stay.

my thoughts exactly.
Of course, I also think lines should be able to move in double rank without having emotional breakdowns.

Offline Apollo

• Colonel
  • NW Official Administrator; apparent god of the sun
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Apollo
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2013, 09:41:33 pm »
Spoiler

Well Apollo there's also the fact that a good portion of the EU community could care less about the ACW. I feel that the vast majority of the NA community will switch to BCoF, and part of the EU community. But I still think there will be a decent amount of EU players and events for NW after the release of BCoF. I'm sure several will buy the game just to see what FSE did with it, but will still keep events in NW.
[close]
Excuse quote pyramid, did spoiler.

You have a valid point, but think about how many Europeans play NaS, and how they were and still are the only remaining community.

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2013, 09:47:45 pm »

Then explain why so many north Americans play NW when it's set exclusively in Europe. It doesn't really matter where the game is set or how interesting the war is - if people want musket combat then they'll migrate to the next best game that meets their desires. I personally had very little interest in the Napoleonic Wars before I played NW, and my interest grew as I played more of it. I'm sure that's what will happen when EU players try out BCOF.

Offline Betaknight

• Major
  • To Protect and To Serve
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Betaknight
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2013, 10:48:30 pm »
Funneh, FSE Team EU. A lot of EU on NaS.
We won't know until the game is released. So I'll wait till it is and then judge.
The first modder for NW.

Offline MPC

• Captain
  • Lt. Col. of The Royal Recruits.
    • View Profile
    • The Royal Recruits Website
  • Nick: -[TRR]-LtCol-MPC
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2013, 04:23:35 am »
BG2 still lives on even though 90% of its members moved over to Mount and Musket and later on this game. So I bet the game will survive for many more years.
Veteran BG2 player. Member of the glorious "The Royal Recruits". Founders of LB game play back in BG 1 and 2

Want to own a bit of TRR? Check out our online shop! -> http://www.cafepress.com/mpcsphotographyshop/9754721

Offline Skyz

• Second Lieutenant
  • The Hour Kills the Patient
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2013, 04:38:08 am »
Games do not die.

They simply disappear.

Offline stox

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Stoxworth [12te]
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2013, 05:34:51 am »
Unfortunately, it is slowly losing its community. However, I wouldn't say dieing just yet. When sales happen, NW receives huge loads of new players, many join into regiment, many play a few times, then never play again. So, this is about the time the last of the new players start to leave, since school is starting and what not. Another reason why the community seems slow is because of the segregation and bullshit "our regiment is better than yours." The NA and EU communities are split like never before, a lot of "we're better than you" between these communities. Also, the competition many regiments have with who's better than who is driving a lot of people away. It gets so bad, people just find it crude and pretty much leave. Of course, others join regiments and are always in events, or don't play active until the evenings.

So, I'm sure when the next sale comes around, we'll see another bunch of new players, just for the same fate to happen. But, remember... many people are back in school and college/university. So, their time to play is small.

the community is exactly that, as a regimental leader i only see the bigger regiments and talk to the bigger regiments - i hardly know 50 % of the community.  the fact of the smaller regiments dont go to the bigger ones.

To note though i wish the NA and EU were completely separate personally I'm tired of these 1/2 and 1/2 regiments - when people have 4 NA players and then 50 EU or vise versa. the NA community could be strong - if the NA community would just recruit NA - and the EU would recruit just EU. Sorry if that hits people hard. but i honestly think it would be better. NA - would be alot bigger than it is.

The whos best thing does get annoying, especially when they post their videos on youtube and look bad beating a regiment.

There are several different sections of this community. Big regiments tend to play with other big regiments, while the smaller ones tend to end up in a LB with 20 other small regiments. Perhaps the smalle regiments are dying out, while their members are drawn to the bigger ones.

Every Summer this happens, you get an influx of 12-16 year olds that all want to lead a line and make a 2 week old regiment. they recruit a bunch of 12-16 year olds and last the summer. then they quit, the leaders will either say they are gonna be active till next summer or they will sit with 5 attendance to crap linebattles. and piss everyone off. Or they will rejoin a bigger regiment and just play. 
On other terms I feel like NW is a game that is best enjoyed with friends, when I played it by myself it wasn't the most enjoyable game. Yet when I joined my first regiment they showed me the ropes and soon I became a much better player and now I have over 1000+ hours clocked in. I think that's what it boils down to, but this is simply my clueless opinion so I'm not entirely sure.

this is the whole reason you join a regiment - TO BE A COMMUNITY A FAMILY A GROUP OF FRIENDS. If you have toxic in your regiment someone who doesn't get along with anyone kick him, the reason why people get trolly or have that bad attitude is because the whole regiment is like that. Maybe NW will die out as a boring game, but regiments will not, the people you gain in the regiment will become a gaming community that's why you make a regiment n the 1st place.

NW wont die, because of this simple reason if there are people willing to play together for the same goal (which is NW) that they find fun or entertaining people will continue to play.

NW may have less attendance through the school year because the kids that joined your regiment have school or college or work or whatever it may be, but the game will always revamp itself each summer. its the regiments that last through the school year and last through the winter breaks, are the regiments that will be good and will always have good attendance. The key to that is being a community of friends.

And Last but not least, Join different events, if you think the game is getting boring, Go to different events. If you dont like the event your in go to a new one. Its not hard. Not saying make your own event im saying join one, though ive gone to idk how many different events im making my own because well i cant stand playing most of them because of what the community as deemd "Legal" in line battles.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 05:40:57 am by stox »

Offline Mathias

• Captain
  • 1st place 1v1 and a little more since I forgot
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2013, 03:53:15 pm »
Unfortunately, it is slowly losing its community. However, I wouldn't say dieing just yet. When sales happen, NW receives huge loads of new players, many join into regiment, many play a few times, then never play again. So, this is about the time the last of the new players start to leave, since school is starting and what not. Another reason why the community seems slow is because of the segregation and bullshit "our regiment is better than yours." The NA and EU communities are split like never before, a lot of "we're better than you" between these communities. Also, the competition many regiments have with who's better than who is driving a lot of people away. It gets so bad, people just find it crude and pretty much leave. Of course, others join regiments and are always in events, or don't play active until the evenings.

So, I'm sure when the next sale comes around, we'll see another bunch of new players, just for the same fate to happen. But, remember... many people are back in school and college/university. So, their time to play is small.

the community is exactly that, as a regimental leader i only see the bigger regiments and talk to the bigger regiments - i hardly know 50 % of the community.  the fact of the smaller regiments dont go to the bigger ones.

To note though i wish the NA and EU were completely separate personally I'm tired of these 1/2 and 1/2 regiments - when people have 4 NA players and then 50 EU or vise versa. the NA community could be strong - if the NA community would just recruit NA - and the EU would recruit just EU. Sorry if that hits people hard. but i honestly think it would be better. NA - would be alot bigger than it is.

The whos best thing does get annoying, especially when they post their videos on youtube and look bad beating a regiment.

There are several different sections of this community. Big regiments tend to play with other big regiments, while the smaller ones tend to end up in a LB with 20 other small regiments. Perhaps the smalle regiments are dying out, while their members are drawn to the bigger ones.

Every Summer this happens, you get an influx of 12-16 year olds that all want to lead a line and make a 2 week old regiment. they recruit a bunch of 12-16 year olds and last the summer. then they quit, the leaders will either say they are gonna be active till next summer or they will sit with 5 attendance to crap linebattles. and piss everyone off. Or they will rejoin a bigger regiment and just play. 
On other terms I feel like NW is a game that is best enjoyed with friends, when I played it by myself it wasn't the most enjoyable game. Yet when I joined my first regiment they showed me the ropes and soon I became a much better player and now I have over 1000+ hours clocked in. I think that's what it boils down to, but this is simply my clueless opinion so I'm not entirely sure.

this is the whole reason you join a regiment - TO BE A COMMUNITY A FAMILY A GROUP OF FRIENDS. If you have toxic in your regiment someone who doesn't get along with anyone kick him, the reason why people get trolly or have that bad attitude is because the whole regiment is like that. Maybe NW will die out as a boring game, but regiments will not, the people you gain in the regiment will become a gaming community that's why you make a regiment n the 1st place.

NW wont die, because of this simple reason if there are people willing to play together for the same goal (which is NW) that they find fun or entertaining people will continue to play.

NW may have less attendance through the school year because the kids that joined your regiment have school or college or work or whatever it may be, but the game will always revamp itself each summer. its the regiments that last through the school year and last through the winter breaks, are the regiments that will be good and will always have good attendance. The key to that is being a community of friends.

And Last but not least, Join different events, if you think the game is getting boring, Go to different events. If you dont like the event your in go to a new one. Its not hard. Not saying make your own event im saying join one, though ive gone to idk how many different events im making my own because well i cant stand playing most of them because of what the community as deemd "Legal" in line battles.
Stox that punctuation makes me cringe a little when I read it, but your right the whole reason to join a regiment is to have fun and meet new friends while your at it. Of course a lot of people leave the game due to school at the end of Summer, again your right it weeds out the smaller crappy regiments under some 12 year old with 3 man attendance. Influx of new pubs hopefully from these former "regiments"!;D

Offline Ryner

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2013, 06:34:30 pm »

I think I remember you sending me a video or two....

Offline stox

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Stoxworth [12te]
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2013, 09:17:41 pm »
i meant the 3e Volt vs the 12th - Lucifier thats what i meant about the "OH BEST NA bullshit" - i already know im not the best nor do i care

"Stox that punctuation makes me cringe a little when I read it, "

it was late and i was tired. + im just bad at writing.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 09:32:08 pm by stox »

Offline ellis

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2013, 09:48:18 pm »
Overall I think that, sure NW will eventually lose it community but I do however think that's it another year at least until it dies and then banner lord,l'aigle will be available. Then the community will just switch over, even if banner lord does not have NW I still think that many ppl will go over to it as it is a new game. And while it is true about the 12-16 "holiday" regiments, (the same happened to me) most of the active/committed members just join another larger regiment. Anyway it still has a couple of years yet!