Author Topic: ww1 and ww2 Games Thread  (Read 5713 times)

Offline Dekkers

• Colonel
  • Left hand's fast but the right hand's sturdy
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: ww1 and ww2 Games Thread
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2013, 12:23:49 pm »
Ahem, since you didn't specify videogame. Memoir '44 and Flames of War are fucking amazing tabletops.

In terms of VIDEO GAMES, Wolfenstein series is fucking amazing WW2 FPS with fictional additions such as magic.  Men of War, Blitzkrieg and Company of Heroes are amazing RTS, Men of War being the most realistic, focusing on individual soldiers and combat rather than base building, Blitzkrieg being in the middle and Company of Heroes being very arcade oriented. RUSE is a great, unique RTS, definitely worth a try. IL-2 Sturmovik is an absolutely fucking amazing WW2 flight sim, I would go so far as to say it is my favorite flight sim. Medal of Honor: Airborne is a fucking fantastic, fairly recent Medal of Honor and has an absolutely badass campaign. Blazing Angels is an arcade flight game which is also very good. Battlefield 1942 is a squad based FPS with vehicle combat and is free on Origin, but it definitely shows it's age. Commandos is a really cool action RTS series, but it too, shows it's age. Red Orchestra 2 and Rising Storm are very good, but aren't very populated, and single player is very low par. The Saboteur is a great Assassin's Creed esque underground sabotage game, but like Wolfenstein, it throws historical accuracy out the window. Sniper Elite is a good series, but the original is infinitely better, even today, the modern one is too linear and holds your hand a lot, not to mention the AI is actually smarter in the old one. Brothers in Arms is a great squad based singleplayer FPS experience, and in fact, Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway was the first game and only, to make me shed a tear, the series' stories are some of the industries best. Day of Defeat is a fast paced Source FPS, I don't like it much, but many people love it, and it's community is still large. Iron Front Liberation is a WW2 online game based off the Arma 2 engine, very fun. Making History 1 is a great WW2 grand strategy game, faster paced than the Paradox ones, incredibly entertaining with friends. The Hearts of Iron series are slow paced grand strategy games, but have incredible amounts of depth. And lastly, one of my favorite WW2 series and incredibly underrated games, Battlestations, which gets you balls deep into the action, commanding ships and airplanes, but in a more arcade like fashion. It is complete, mindless fun, and if you have an interest in battles like Midway, it's a really badass game.

Those are all the WW2 Videogames I recall playing, enjoy.

And yes, I do have to out do everyone's posts.

But you must love WW2 tho? :D
Dekkers has become the community's designated old man with alzheimers who sits in the corner reminiscing about simpler times, happier times... "The spins" he wails "do you remember the SPINS!!!"

Offline Pinball Wizard

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2013, 09:21:02 pm »
Spoiler
Ahem, since you didn't specify videogame. Memoir '44 and Flames of War are fucking amazing tabletops.

In terms of VIDEO GAMES, Wolfenstein series is fucking amazing WW2 FPS with fictional additions such as magic.  Men of War, Blitzkrieg and Company of Heroes are amazing RTS, Men of War being the most realistic, focusing on individual soldiers and combat rather than base building, Blitzkrieg being in the middle and Company of Heroes being very arcade oriented. RUSE is a great, unique RTS, definitely worth a try. IL-2 Sturmovik is an absolutely fucking amazing WW2 flight sim, I would go so far as to say it is my favorite flight sim. Medal of Honor: Airborne is a fucking fantastic, fairly recent Medal of Honor and has an absolutely badass campaign. Blazing Angels is an arcade flight game which is also very good. Battlefield 1942 is a squad based FPS with vehicle combat and is free on Origin, but it definitely shows it's age. Commandos is a really cool action RTS series, but it too, shows it's age. Red Orchestra 2 and Rising Storm are very good, but aren't very populated, and single player is very low par. The Saboteur is a great Assassin's Creed esque underground sabotage game, but like Wolfenstein, it throws historical accuracy out the window. Sniper Elite is a good series, but the original is infinitely better, even today, the modern one is too linear and holds your hand a lot, not to mention the AI is actually smarter in the old one. Brothers in Arms is a great squad based singleplayer FPS experience, and in fact, Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway was the first game and only, to make me shed a tear, the series' stories are some of the industries best. Day of Defeat is a fast paced Source FPS, I don't like it much, but many people love it, and it's community is still large. Iron Front Liberation is a WW2 online game based off the Arma 2 engine, very fun. Making History 1 is a great WW2 grand strategy game, faster paced than the Paradox ones, incredibly entertaining with friends. The Hearts of Iron series are slow paced grand strategy games, but have incredible amounts of depth. And lastly, one of my favorite WW2 series and incredibly underrated games, Battlestations, which gets you balls deep into the action, commanding ships and airplanes, but in a more arcade like fashion. It is complete, mindless fun, and if you have an interest in battles like Midway, it's a really badass game.

Those are all the WW2 Videogames I recall playing, enjoy.

And yes, I do have to out do everyone's posts.
[close]

But you must love WW2 tho? :D
You get more annoying by the day it seems.

Day of Defeat Source has to be my favorite World War 2 game followed by Company of Heroes.

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2013, 02:51:23 pm »
Call of Duty 1  ( Has the most epic missions when it comes to scale. (Boat crossing of Stalingrad, and there is a huge battlefield, trench-ish mission)
Call of Duty 2  ( Also has some huge scale missions, and it looks quite good actually, graphic wise. You get to do some epic attacks and all that)

If you saw a good amount of WW2 movies, you could easily tell that there isn't much originality about it:

The beach on stalinggrad you mentioned: Enemy at the gates. Same for the Red Square after that.
And there are some good few pieces from Saving Private Ryan as well, and some films the names Riddlez doesn't remember so fast
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Dekkers

• Colonel
  • Left hand's fast but the right hand's sturdy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2013, 03:22:49 pm »
Call of Duty 1  ( Has the most epic missions when it comes to scale. (Boat crossing of Stalingrad, and there is a huge battlefield, trench-ish mission)
Call of Duty 2  ( Also has some huge scale missions, and it looks quite good actually, graphic wise. You get to do some epic attacks and all that)

If you saw a good amount of WW2 movies, you could easily tell that there isn't much originality about it:

The beach on stalinggrad you mentioned: Enemy at the gates. Same for the Red Square after that.
And there are some good few pieces from Saving Private Ryan as well, and some films the names Riddlez doesn't remember so fast

Yeah, I know :). But that is actually exactly what I like so much about it. That you get to play a scene from a certain movie. I knew that the scene from Enemy at the Gates was the exact same as in the COD game, or the other way around. But I like that :)
Dekkers has become the community's designated old man with alzheimers who sits in the corner reminiscing about simpler times, happier times... "The spins" he wails "do you remember the SPINS!!!"

Offline RyanBoss

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: BigBoss
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2013, 02:29:36 am »
Call of Duty World at War (Already mentioned)
Red Orchestra 1 and 2 (Epic multyplayer)

And I know nothing about WW1 games :p
Solid list. People like to look down on COD these days but damn they made some great WW2 games back in the day.

Offline Colonel Howe

• Donator
  • There isn't a noose tight enough
    • View Profile
    • People's History Podcast
  • Nick: Noah
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2013, 08:48:30 pm »
THIS COMES OUT FRIDAY FOR NAPOLEON: TOTAL WAR. DOWNLOAD IT OR BE CALLED A COWARD
P.S. CAPS LOCK IS FUN
http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-great-war-mod
Fuck off, Nazi scum

Offline Death by EMP

• Major
  • Crunch, forever and always
    • View Profile
  • Nick: CRUNCH
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2013, 10:28:58 pm »

Solid list. People like to look down on COD these days but damn they made some great WW2 games back in the day.
I disagree. Treyarch makes poor WW2 shooters, past and present. CoD3 was absolutely pathetic, and WaW wasn't all that great either.

Infinity Ward definitely made some good ones though. It's a shame these days Infinity Ward is even more shit than Treyarch though. Also, another problem I have with his list is the inclusion of RO1 which barely has a multiplayer community anymore. Buying that game would be a waste of money.

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • This blamed fight aint got a rear
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2013, 05:05:36 am »
Invasion 1944 mod for ARMA 2. Literally finest ww2 realism beside Darkest Hour: Europe '44 - '45 who will always have a special place in my heart.

Also, if you like real time stragety, check out Combat Mission series. Really great RT Stragety and very realistic.

Offline dion661944

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2013, 07:12:18 am »

I disagree. Treyarch makes poor WW2 shooters, past and present. CoD3 was absolutely pathetic, and WaW wasn't all that great either.

Infinity Ward definitely made some good ones though. It's a shame these days Infinity Ward is even more shit than Treyarch though. Also, another problem I have with his list is the inclusion of RO1 which barely has a multiplayer community anymore. Buying that game would be a waste of money.
Call of Duty 3, one of my favorites for playstation 2, and also WaW .... it a lot better then black ops and MW3 together, you know :P

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2013, 05:50:32 pm »

Call of Duty 3, one of my favorites for playstation 2, and also WaW .... it a lot better then black ops and MW3 together, you know :P

Those are ppor excuses, and personal opinions.
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Desert Thunda

• Colonel
  • u wish u knew
    • View Profile
  • Nick: K-KA_Commissar_DesertThunda
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2013, 06:21:06 am »
Wolfenstien series.

Offline Xanderman

• Donator
  • Victory through incompetence. Old 7th guards rifle
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Alexander
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2013, 12:54:49 pm »
Medal of honour frontline. nuff said.

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • This blamed fight aint got a rear
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2013, 06:51:07 am »
Medal of honour frontline. nuff said.

Medal of Honor was a classy series. Great company, I really would love to play it again.

Offline Oakenshield

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2013, 02:31:04 pm »
-Call of duty 1 and 2 (both have great missions and multiplayer).
-Invasion 1944 for Arma (best WW2 realism game I have played, especially if you play with a clan).
-The Saboteur (has a really immersive storyline).
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 02:35:07 pm by Oakenshield »

Offline gmanburger

• Sergeant
  • 20% Skill. 80% Luck.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Gman
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2013, 04:37:37 pm »
Red orchestra 1 and 2 one of my favorite games great multiplayer