Author Topic: Real War Stories  (Read 19325 times)

Offline Othurin

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: Real War Stories
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2013, 08:20:36 am »
The chinese already having *ahem* volunteers in Korea not sure they would be THAT angry.. officer probably exaggerated because shock

Offline Walko

• Brigadier General
  • Tired art student.
    • View Profile
    • 4. Silesian Landwehr
  • Side: Union
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2013, 12:53:50 am »
The chinese already having *ahem* volunteers in Korea not sure they would be THAT angry.. officer probably exaggerated because shock

Yea, not to sure, it might have been that they would have escalated the war, maybe try to invade Japan,not really sure.
Pointy stick champion

Offline Hugh MacKay

• Donator
  • Co-founder of the 92nd Gordon Highlanders
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 92nd_Pte_Hugh_MacKay
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2013, 08:41:46 pm »
Dude several American aircrafts was shot down over Russia during the Cold War, even around its heights. I really, really doubt anything would have happend if a single low-flying American aircraft accidentally would fly over China. It might have been shot down and some diplomats wwould have yelled, but that would be it.
"The most amazing things that can happen to a human being will happen to you if you just lower your expectations."

Offline TORN

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: TORN
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2013, 01:57:03 pm »
Not really a war story but i'm going to tell it anyway.

Here in Belgium it was required of a man when he was done studiyng he had to go to the army.
Either 8 months in Germany or 10 Months in Belgium.

But anyway. My father was in a military excersize and they had to use explosives. Now the unfortunate happend and there was a rabbit hole on the practice range.
 An explosive landed near or in the rabbit hole and somehow a rabbit caught fire and ran to the forest and almost starting a forest fire. My dad and the other soldiers had to run after the rabbit and put the fire out.

Offline Schmidtche

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Skirm without a home.
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2013, 05:34:07 pm »
My grandfather served as a pioneer in the Wehrmacht from 1942 till the end, always on the eastern front. (Appearently he was "lucky" and was sick half the time)
When the german lines were overrun in 1944, he and two friends marched all the way through Poland back to Germany on their own. At times they even trailed the russian lines IIRC.

The first german town they reached, the town commander ordered them to help defend the city, but they snuck out and marched further back. Eventually they showed up at a rally point and managed to get a piece of paper saying they were on holiday from a NCO. They visited their families for 3 days and then went back to the war. He eventually lost part of his left leg at the Oder, which was again a "lucky" break for him, cause the russians sent him home right at the end of the war, instead of sending him to the camps in Siberia.

My grandmother (his wife) and my uncle (newborn back then) got out of East-Prussia with the last train, sitting on the coals.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2013, 05:38:19 pm »

Here in Belgium it was required of a man when he was done studiyng he had to go to the army.

But anyway. My father was in a military excersize and they had to use explosives. Now the unfortunate happend and there was a rabbit hole on the practice range.
 An explosive landed near or in the rabbit hole and somehow a rabbit caught fire and ran to the forest and almost starting a forest fire. My dad and the other soldiers had to run after the rabbit and put the fire out.

My grandfather, when he was conscripted, was trained to be a sniper. And thus, he was ordered to climb a tree and take a position up there.
Now, when he finally made it, he took his rifle from his back...and dropped it. After that, he no longer was a sniper  ::)

Offline joer5835

• Brigadier General
  • My face is tired.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Joer
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2013, 07:55:33 pm »
Also not a realy war story but it's nice anyway.

My father worked in a butcher shop when he was conscripted. When the officers of his unit found out he was ordered to prepare a barbecue. The way he made the meat satisfied the officers so much he was redeployed to the Mess unit. :P 

No shooting and marching for him.
Polan is of dangerous to FSE
Im from Poland , a land of lawlessness

Offline Othurin

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2013, 08:13:25 pm »
ahh ze dutch are taking over ze thread

Offline TORN

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: TORN
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2013, 08:36:29 pm »

My grandfather, when he was conscripted, was trained to be a sniper. And thus, he was ordered to climb a tree and take a position up there.
Now, when he finally made it, he took his rifle from his back...and dropped it. After that, he no longer was a sniper  ::)
that made me giggle.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2013, 08:53:12 pm »
Well, dropping your rifle about more then 10 feet down from a tree makes you a pretty lousy sniper.

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2013, 11:27:03 pm »
I have a short account of my ancestors actions in North Carolina in the 24th Massachusets during the Civil War. Will write it later.
Of course, I also think lines should be able to move in double rank without having emotional breakdowns.

Offline Gokiller

• Almost Pride of Ni
  • Major General
  • Bydand in the chat lads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2013, 04:11:15 pm »
The mother of my grandma gave home to Dutch soldiers at her farm in WW2 (after the Dutch capitulation), don't know a lot about it, but it counts and I can say it was very brave of her.

Offline Gamechanger

• Private
    • View Profile
  • Nick: IXe[Marins]Mtr_Gamechanger
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2013, 06:06:47 am »
King of the Scorpions

Offline Bramif

• Donator
  • Lolern lærer mand!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Bramif
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2013, 02:26:08 pm »

:o ok... its a goddamn oreo not some war memorial site

Offline Archduke Sven

• Brigadier General
  • I have over 1000 warning points, be careful.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: regimentless sven
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2013, 09:15:08 am »
My great-grandfather was a saboteur during WW2. He operated on the Swedish-Norwegian border sabotaging Nazi trains which were taking ore and weapons from Sweden and Norway. One night he was taking a boat across a lake to reach the train tracks, a german patrol spotted him. They opened fire and made several holes in his little boat with their K98's and MP40's before they stopped firing after they thought he was dead. Ol' Grandpa Sven then rowed his way back to shore and went home.

told that bih don't @ me