Poll

Would you play Total War: Victoria?

Yeah, I love the victorian era, imperialism & nationalism and the industrial revolution!
Meh, maybe
No, I would rather play Medieval III
No, I would rather play Empire II
No, I would rather play TW: Warhammer (dunno if this is for reels)

Author Topic: Total War General Discussion Thread: Shogun to Rome 2!  (Read 219750 times)

Offline Blobmania

• Major
  • Damn Sexy.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Blobmania
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Rome II: Total War
« Reply #150 on: May 09, 2013, 11:42:53 pm »
Spoiler
First of all, this is written on a cellphone, so there might be grammatical errors.

Now then, in response to people whining about day1 dlc:

With only the factions involved in "vanilla" Rome2 + pontus which will be released for free, and because all of these will have individual units. Tech trees and such, Rome2 is already looking like the most content-filled game to date.

Rome 1 had almost the entire world playable, but 80% of the units were just recolored versions of another factions units. This applies to medieval and empire as well. Lots of factions, lord of idential units.

Napoleon only had 5 factions, but lots of diversity among the factions unit-wise.

Shogun had like 9 identical nations.

So, basicly, you cant measure content solely in the amount of factions.

Now, again, even "vanilla" Rome 2 will be packed with content. The devs have no obligations to give you all of their work for free, and by giving away the greek dlc to people who pre purchase, they create a good incentive for people to actually prepurchase.
[close]

I'm not saying they should give us all the work for free. I'm quite happy to pay £30-£40 for Rome II, but I think it's incredibly tight of any games company to announce pay-extra DLC before they've even released the full game. This whole DLC culture in the games industry means you're not really getting "Rome II" when you buy the vanilla game - you're getting half a game, and have to pay extra for anything more.

I personally just hate DLC on principle. Full expansions that add new features and eras like Barbarian Invasion/Alexander are fine, because you're paying for a different era entirely, making them effectively different games. The fact that they're demanding money for what is effectively the "second half" of the game is (at least in my mind) a bit of a "fuck you" to all of their customers.

I mean, can you imagine the outcry if FSE announced two or three new factions for NW, and then charged for them?
Spoiler
[close]

If a cat sits in a box in the woods and no-one is around to hear it, is it alive?

Offline TheZach_Attack

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Zach_Attack
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #151 on: May 10, 2013, 12:13:04 am »
Just pre-ordered.. I have a erection happy feeling.

Offline The Norseman

• Captain
    • View Profile
  • Nick: K-KA_Kpl_TheNorseman
  • Side: Union
« Reply #152 on: May 10, 2013, 12:31:25 am »
Yeah but CA is owned by SEGA, who expects and demands CA to get in as much money as possible.

sadly this is what we have to face these days.

The Norseman is my name in my name.

"Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience."

Offline Dekkers

• Colonel
  • Left hand's fast but the right hand's sturdy
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 10, 2013, 12:35:15 am »
Yeah but CA is owned by SEGA, who expects and demands CA to get in as much money as possible.

sadly this is what we have to face these days.

That is... Brilliant o_O
Dekkers has become the community's designated old man with alzheimers who sits in the corner reminiscing about simpler times, happier times... "The spins" he wails "do you remember the SPINS!!!"

Offline Tali

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 10, 2013, 09:17:42 am »
No, in the case of Rome 2, that picture is completely false. They are giving out a game with more content then any tw game before it. Then they are giving the Greek city dlc to anyone who preorder.

Offline The Norseman

• Captain
    • View Profile
  • Nick: K-KA_Kpl_TheNorseman
« Reply #155 on: May 10, 2013, 10:42:59 am »
Yeah I did not notice that until now, I thought they meant you had to first buy Rome II and then be able to buy the DLC for some amount of money afterwards. Not that bad then. :)
The Norseman is my name in my name.

"Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience."

Offline Hugh MacKay

• Donator
  • Co-founder of the 92nd Gordon Highlanders
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 92nd_Pte_Hugh_MacKay
« Reply #156 on: May 10, 2013, 11:34:41 am »
No, in the case of Rome 2, that picture is completely false. They are giving out a game with more content then any tw game before it. Then they are giving the Greek city dlc to anyone who preorder.

No, they still give out stuff that should be a part of the original game. We get it for free yes. But everyone that is too late, well, that's just too bad. They have to pay for something that could jsut as well have been a part of the game.
"The most amazing things that can happen to a human being will happen to you if you just lower your expectations."

Offline Hinkel

• Colonel
  • Confederate Commander in Chief
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Gen_Hinkel
« Reply #157 on: May 10, 2013, 01:23:30 pm »

No, they still give out stuff that should be a part of the original game. We get it for free yes. But everyone that is too late, well, that's just too bad. They have to pay for something that could jsut as well have been a part of the game.

Well, this is called marketing and its working very well for many games :D

Offline Hugh MacKay

• Donator
  • Co-founder of the 92nd Gordon Highlanders
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 92nd_Pte_Hugh_MacKay
« Reply #158 on: May 10, 2013, 01:44:11 pm »
I know, and as myself and several other has stated previously, it's simply the way the market goes. I simply just don't like it.
"The most amazing things that can happen to a human being will happen to you if you just lower your expectations."

Offline Blobmania

• Major
  • Damn Sexy.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Blobmania
« Reply #159 on: May 10, 2013, 02:59:05 pm »

So what do you propose for those of us who can't actually afford to pre-order the game at the moment?

I know, and as myself and several other has stated previously, it's simply the way the market goes. I simply just don't like it.

- This is pretty much my own view on the topic as well. I accept that it is a very common aspect of the gaming industry now to mass-produce DLC and squeeze every last penny out of a game, I just personally hate the practice. The irony of it is that most small Indie companies without the fanbase or resources to get away with making DLC are really the ones that need the money most - huge teams like Creative Assembly/SEGA are already grossing millions on these projects within the first day of release. Their motivation comes from profit rather than a love for the project and games in general.
Spoiler
[close]

If a cat sits in a box in the woods and no-one is around to hear it, is it alive?

Offline DaveTheBrave

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • 25th Regiment of Foot
  • Nick: 25th_Kgm_DaveTheBrave
« Reply #160 on: May 10, 2013, 03:05:52 pm »
Rome 2 gonna be the best gamer ever. I thought first that the game should be released in December but now in September!! I can't wait..

Offline Crusader

• First Lieutenant
  • EU Senior Admin of NW, Saturday Linebattle Hoster
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 52nd_King_Adminborn_Crusader
« Reply #161 on: May 10, 2013, 04:45:10 pm »

Quote from me

Disappointed it's not a 1:1 scale onager....that makes me not want to buy the collector's edition now...i've been seriously let down
I hereby present Crusader with the Blobdominican medal for Bravery above and beyond the call of duty in his role as AdminBorn of the FSE servers. We have also arranged some lovely flowers & a kitten to commemorate the occasion.
Thanks Crusader for all of your work in the community!
[/quote]

Offline Rowaan

• Second Lieutenant
  • A volcano of unreliable information
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Rowaan
« Reply #162 on: May 10, 2013, 06:00:14 pm »
The biggest piss-take for DLC is for games that come on disks (this mainly applies to console), is that when DLC content is already included on the disk, and when you buy that DLC  for £10 or so and you download a 2mb pass code that gives you access to all this lovely stuff you've already payed for, and for example having  four major payed DLC's and all the little weapon skins you can pay for can easily overall make the game worth £100, for stuff that was already included on the disc that you payed for at the till.

My major culprit for this was Gears of War 3, with four major DLC's and tonnes of little weapon skins I bought almost all of them (like an idiot, they weren't even that good) but by the time the fourth and final one came out I had had enough and moved on to play other games. On their forums Epic (the makers of the game) replied to the many questions about this practice and stated that it was Micro$ofts fault as to why all this 'DLC' was already on the disk, As Epic had already put all the content onto the disk Micro$oft quickly came in and told them to make a pass key to all of this content that was already included with the disk.

Because of this I never blame the actual company's who make the game but their publishers, So in the case of Epic it is Micro$oft (I refuse to call them Microsoft) and in the Case of The Creative Assembly it is Sega. They are the real culprits for this kind of marketing and I think almost all  company's should do a Bungie (Halo devs) and quit their jobs with their publishers, their profits may go down,  the greater customer satisfaction will lead to a friendlier community and an overall more satisfactory working enviroment, This is one of the reasons Bungie left micro$oft and has stated working on their own projects (Destiny).

Rant over

Offline Death by EMP

• Major
  • Crunch, forever and always
    • View Profile
  • Nick: CRUNCH
« Reply #163 on: May 10, 2013, 10:38:04 pm »
I think it is Sega too. Sega is dieing though, really all they have left is Total War. With luck when Sega dies Total War will be given a good home.

Offline Desert Thunda

• Colonel
  • u wish u knew
    • View Profile
  • Nick: K-KA_Commissar_DesertThunda
« Reply #164 on: May 11, 2013, 06:07:47 pm »
So I just paid 369 Dirhams and pre-purchased, I can not wait!

Here is a summary for all factions:

Spoiler
I figured I would put this all in one convenient location. Faction differences in gameplay, as stated by the official releases of each faction:

Rome - Rome benefits economically from its excellence in metalwork, enjoys enhanced military development, and can exploit the masses in order to maintain public order. Furthermore, the player will choose to conduct the affairs of Rome as the head of one of three great Roman houses: The Julia, The Cornelia, and the Junia, each of which brings further economic, military and cultural benefits. (Yes, you get to choose one of three leaders, that's awesome) Well-drilled, well-equipped heavy infantry form the backbone of the army.

Carthage - Carthage benefits from its mastery of the waves and its heritage as a great trading nation. As a democracy, it also enjoys an improved level of population happiness. The player also has the choice to play as one of three major political powers, each of which confers further military, economic and cultural benefits. The bulk of its armies consist of mercenary units.

Macedon - Macedon gains advantages when fighting other Hellenic factions, and enjoys improved income and provincial growth from every client state owned. Experienced warriors, the armies of Macedon also have an advantage when fighting against barbarians. Macedon also has a harder time forming diplomatic relations with other Hellenic States.

Iceni - Brave and warlike; invoking the goddess Andraste as they charge into battle drives them to even greater feats of valour. Their expertise with iron makes the resource a particularly effective form of income for the tribe, as does their skill at raiding and looting. And as a warrior society, the happiness of the people increases with every fresh declaration of war. The Iceni principally make use of infantry when at war. Equipped with large oval or sub-rectangular shields and either a sword or spear, their main distinction from the Celtic tribes of the continent is the practice of painting or tattooing their skin, combined with a greater use of slings in battle. Although light cavalry are used, the Iceni and other British tribes are famed for their highly manoeuvrable war-chariots. After harrying the enemy with javelins, warriors dismount and engage in a fashion similar to the Homeric champions.

Arveni (Gaul) - Noted craftsmen, the Arverni enjoy improved income from their artisans, as well as profiting from the Gauls’ expertise with gold-working. In battle, their cavalry benefit from natural Gallic horsemanship, while the charisma and fighting prowess of their kings and chieftains make them formidable warriors, and earns them diplomatic respect amongst other barbarian tribes. Heavily dependent on infantry, the Arverni make great use of javelins and the devastating impact of the charge, led by elite warriors such as Spear Nobles and Oathsworn.

Suebi - Masters of forest warfare and plunder, stemming from a confederation of smaller Germanic tribes. They have a diplomatic edge when dealing with other barbarians and excel at fighting lesser tribes who dare to stand in their way. They feel disdain for outsiders, civilised cultures and other barbarians alike, and must contend with considerable resistance from those whom they conquer. Heavily reliant on infantry and ambush tactics, raiding is their predominant form of conflict. Lightly equipped, most Suebi warriors make use of the framea, a javelin-like spear, as swords are a rarity. Often unarmoured they carried their rounded, oval or long, hexagonal shields into battle and wore little more than simple cloaks or other garments at times.

Parthia - As an Eastern faction, Parthia profits from the rich heritage established by the Persian Empire both in its capacity for trade and in its cultural strength. A degree of tolerance for foreign cultures further eases Parthian conquest of new lands, but their Zoroastrian practices mean an aversion to slavery, which is detrimental to both the economy and to public order. In battle, their great marksmanship and mastery of cavalry makes them a force to be reckoned with when fighting on open ground. A confederation of tribes, Parthia is famed for its horses, nomadic horse-archers and heavy cavalry, the latter developing distinctive bronze or iron scaled armour which covers both horse and rider. For its infantry it relies on ethnic Persian/Iranian hillmen, spear and skirmisher units and sometimes mercenaries, armed and drilled in the Seleucid fashion.

Egypt - They are skilled statesmen and academics, and their naval prowess is unquestioned. The intermingling of Greek and Egyptian fighting styles provides the Ptolemaic Pharaohs with a military that is both advanced and balanced, yet still honours the role of the champion commander. Making great use of spear and pike, their forces are further diversified with skilled swordsmen, scythed chariots, and more exotic units such as African war elephants. Egypt's position on the Mediterranean Sea also requires a substantial navy to protect its colonial and trade interests.

Pontus (Free DLC) - Pontus enjoys healthy diplomatic dialogue with Greek states and successor kingdoms, and is noted for its resolution in battle, particularly against barbarian forces. However, the forsaking of its Persian origins means that eastern cultural influences within its provinces yield diminished public order benefits. Its prized commodities, and the opportunism of its well-informed rulers, have enabled Pontus to remain one of the strongest Hellenistic states in existence. With connections throughout the ancient world, largely due to control of Black Sea trade and exports of timber, precious metals and valuable steel, Pontic agents are perfectly placed to gather information on their enemies abroad.

Athens (Pre-order) - As a city state, the capital city of Athenai enjoys great wealth, and its rich classical heritage makes it easier for their conquests to convert to the Athenian way of life. Its strong naval tradition gives its fleets the upper hand, with the downside being that her land units are less developed. Athens’ military focus has long been its navy. However, continuing the traditions of the classical era, its citizens are also expected to contribute both infantry and cavalry to its armies, although mercenary troops now supplement their numbers. With a strong backbone of spear-bearing Hoplite units supported by archers, a fully formed-up Athenian army makes for a formidable sight – and a tough nut to crack.

Epirus (Pre-order) - Epirus is a nation of great commanders and, as such, its generals and admirals enjoy a greater command aura in battle. As a nation centred more around village life than the city, Epirus also gains increased income from smaller settlements. However, their chequered past with the Greek states and colonies means they suffer major penalties to diplomatic relations with other Hellenic factions. With an economy focused on a diverse and scattered agricultural base, most of Epirus' trade is conducted via its fishing ports on the Adriatic Sea.

Sparta (Pre-order) - Trained to a level of martial prowess few others achieve, Spartan troops are excellent warriors, and, due to their oppression of the Helot people, they suffer less public discontent due to slavery than other factions. However, due to their Laconic austerity and focus on military training, Sparta benefits less from natural resources.
[close]