Author Topic: 1914 The Great War [Poll available!]  (Read 32238 times)

Offline James Grant

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
Re: The Great War 1914
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2013, 12:21:48 am »
I will keep creating this full steam ahead and nothing anyone says will change that.

I'll hold you to that.

Offline Reverse

• Second Lieutenant
  • Rule Britannia!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Reverse
« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2013, 12:25:42 am »
I will keep creating this full steam ahead and nothing anyone says will change that.

I'll hold you to that.
Please do.

Offline Archduke Sven

• Brigadier General
  • I have over 1000 warning points, be careful.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: regimentless sven
« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2013, 11:43:56 am »
Spoiler
I don't understand why anyone would play your mod over iron europe? Slightly cleaner uniforms and less trenchy maps. Well maps can be added by any old codger. How can your gameplay be different to IE?
Gameplay will be different because its not sitting in a trench waiting for someone to charge. This will basically be the Napoleonic Wars but with loose formations and bolt-action rifles. To be honest, the gameplay will not be similar at all. Unless someone decides to make a glitchy map. Trenches don't really work in the Warband engine, they can't be underground without your screen covered in a transparent blue.
Yes I understand that, but apart from the maps what can possibly be different? Yes a map is a big difference in gameplay but I just don't understand what else will be different?
Its the same war, so technology will be the same. We will have cavalry. We will have fixed machine guns. (hopefully.) We will not have trenches. Not having trenches is a big enough gameplay difference. I have no idea how to explain it better to you.

Are you trolling me? Because you seem to be showing a certain degree of ignorance and stupidity.

All that your proposing that will be different is the maps, when you make a map in the Iron Europe module, it won't instantly spawn trenches in every single bloody map. IE may have cavalry, certainly should in some degree.
I don't understand how you are not getting what I'm saying.

You propose 1914 warfare yet the technology was the same, the landscapes weren't. So make custom maps for IE.
[close]

You are ignoring almost everything I have said so far.
Trench warfare composes of: Charge, die, rinse and repeat. Yes, in a highly simplified way which was the very beginning of trench warfare primaily 1915.
Mobile warfare consists of: Tactics, actually surviving a charge, cavalry, and loose lines. Are you telling me that they did not use loose lines in trench charges? And if you plan to have cavalry and MG's cavalry will be useless and if you don't have MG's is practically Britain vs. Britain AZM and if no cavalry it will be IE with different maps and units
IE will not have cavalry, search through the thread and check yourself.
Having mobile warfare is a big enough gameplay difference. Not really since you will quickly realise that the side who fires first will win since the overwhelming firepower will prevail, the entire reason why they began to dig in, which is what people will do here aswell making no difference from IE
IE will have mobile machine guns, not fixed. If the MG's are fixed people will camp around them basically degrading to a sort of trench warfare, same as IE
It is downright impossible to simulate 1914 warfare with mobile machine guns and no cavalry. Technology was massively improved in 1916-17 and the military leaders realised their tactics were ineffective
Also, why the hell would I be trolling on my own mod's thread? I've never trolled and I don't intend to.
I have told enough differences already.
tl;dr
Mobile warfare is nothing like trench warfare. My mod will have different uniforms. My mod will have cavalry Your idea of mobile warfare will degrade into Trench warfare just as it was in WW1 when people stopped running into people standing still and firing and instead began to dig in since it was near impossible to get passed overwhelming firepower
The only similarities between IE and my mod are bolt-action rifles, machine guns, and the same war. Theoretically yes, but as i am saying now it will end up being the same thing just with the addition of cavalry

Now, if you are continuously going to bash my mod then don't come to the thread. You don't have to criticize it in such a negative manner.

Now sorry to be a negative nancy but that is just my opinion. There was a reason why "Mobile Warfare" of 1914 degraded into trench warfare and i am quite sure people will just end up camping around their fixed MG's waiting for eachother to charge.

Now you'd have to find a way to get around this, my idea was making the battles conquest based so people have a reason to advance and at those conquest points have the MGs placed there so there is some extra motivation why to capture. However when one sides gets it is basically game over for the team who failed to gain the point. No idea of how to solve that.

Now my post is considered constructive criticism  ;D

( Bold parts are written by me )

told that bih don't @ me

Offline Reverse

• Second Lieutenant
  • Rule Britannia!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2013, 01:29:54 pm »
Thanks for displaying constructive criticism. I earlier said that we will not have machine guns as it would make cavalry obsolete.
And on the idea of conquest style gameplay: that would quickly degrade to charge, die, rinse, repeat.
As well as that, I can't control what people play on the servers.

Also, I have no idea what you mean by "Britain vs Britain AZM"

Offline Archduke Sven

• Brigadier General
  • I have over 1000 warning points, be careful.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: regimentless sven
« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2013, 01:46:48 pm »
Thanks for displaying constructive criticism. I earlier said that we will not have machine guns as it would make cavalry obsolete.
And on the idea of conquest style gameplay: that would quickly degrade to charge, die, rinse, repeat.
As well as that, I can't control what people play on the servers.

Also, I have no idea what you mean by "Britain vs Britain AZM"

What i meant was that if you have no MGs it would be like a battle between Britain and Britain on the Anglo Zulu mod. Both sides having quickfire repeating rifles and cavalry armed with rifles and sabres. So basically your new mod would only bring new uniforms to the table and slightly faster firing rifles with better accuracy.

That being said nobody would be running out in the open to face that devastating fire and people would be looking for cover everywhere and just camping. Therefore hardly being different from IE where you camp in trenches.

told that bih don't @ me

Offline von_Bismarck

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2013, 02:44:57 pm »
Cavalry will perform decently since at this period of time all of the cavalry had firearms, so the tactics won't be just charge and die  ;)

Offline Desert Thunda

• Colonel
  • u wish u knew
    • View Profile
  • Nick: K-KA_Commissar_DesertThunda
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2013, 02:58:19 pm »
I think 1C made a game about the mobile war. You can try it out, I think it was called The Great War or something like that...(I think it was on Amazon)

Offline TORN

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: TORN
« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2013, 07:35:39 pm »
Cavalry will perform decently since at this period of time all of the cavalry had firearms, so the tactics won't be just charge and die  ;)
Even though they had firearms, cavalry was pretty outmatched and outdated already.

Offline von_Bismarck

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2013, 07:43:31 pm »
Even though they had firearms, cavalry was pretty outmatched and outdated already.

Frontal cavalry charges will have little success and that will promote flanking.

Offline Reverse

• Second Lieutenant
  • Rule Britannia!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2013, 07:55:56 pm »
I think 1C made a game about the mobile war. You can try it out, I think it was called The Great War or something like that...(I think it was on Amazon)
Sounds fun, I'll have to look it up!

Offline Wolfy

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • I'm not crazy. The people in my head told me.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Wolfy
« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2013, 09:54:43 am »
Ooooh intresting. Well best of luck and I hope this doesn't fall through. But people have pointed out some rather important factors, but I will not spam your thread with stuff that's already been said  :).

Offline von_Bismarck

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2013, 03:45:11 pm »
The signatures are finished.  :)

Code:
Code
[url=https://www.fsegames.eu/forum/index.php?topic=5420.0][img]https://i.imgur.com/oeUh7N0.png[/img][/url]

Code:
Code
[url=https://www.fsegames.eu/forum/index.php?topic=5420.0][IMG]http://i44.tinypic.com/2i07oyq.png[/IMG][/url]
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 04:01:35 pm by von_Bismarck »

Offline Menelaos

• Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2013, 06:51:44 pm »
Where are the horses?

Offline TORN

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: TORN
« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2013, 08:04:38 pm »

Frontal cavalry charges will have little success and that will promote flanking.
i repeat

Offline von_Bismarck

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2013, 08:27:08 pm »
Where are the horses?

There is cavalry in the second signature.