Author Topic: Question about Napoleonic British rank abbreviations  (Read 4554 times)

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Question about Napoleonic British rank abbreviations
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2013, 05:10:31 pm »
The guy who made the official British army drill book, whatever his name was, actually designed a company to be 23 privates. That's about 2 soldiers for every NCO or CO.  :P

But his drill was only for battalions movement, so it made little difference.

Offline Gurkha

• Lieutenant General
  • Former 33rd LtCol
    • View Profile
    • Official 33rd Regiment of Foot Website
  • Nick: Gurkha
  • Side: Union
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2013, 05:30:42 pm »
I was told by Lowlander who first recreated the 33rd that Regular and Kingsman where distinctions carried that was given to Privates, so not really a rank. We tried getting rid of Regular and Kingsman and just keep it to Private but that didn't go down well so we just kept it.

Offline Eazy-E

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: E
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2013, 05:32:09 pm »
In theory, having just Private and then LanceCorporal seems like a good idea because of the historical accuracy/ clear command structure etc., but what it really creates is a ton of bored privates who feel unappreciated because they haven't had a promotion in 4 months.

Offline Rowaan

• Second Lieutenant
  • A volcano of unreliable information
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Rowaan
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2013, 06:06:39 pm »
A Kingsman (at least as far as I am aware) was someone in service of the king, so technically any soldier who was enlisted by the British military was a Kingsman, whether you were a lowly private or a pompous General you were given this term. Today any soldier in the British armed forces is known as a Queensman (for obvious reasons).

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2013, 11:45:36 pm »
A Kingsman (at least as far as I am aware) was someone in service of the king, so technically any soldier who was enlisted by the British military was a Kingsman, whether you were a lowly private or a pompous General you were given this term. Today any soldier in the British armed forces is known as a Queensman (for obvious reasons).

Offline Bluehawk

• Sergeant Major
  • чекмень - шаровары - шашка
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2013, 11:57:04 pm »
Kingsman is reserved today for the Duke of Lancaster's Regiment, having been formed from two King's regiments, and the current monarch's sex is irrelevant.

Offline Archduke Sven

• Brigadier General
  • I have over 1000 warning points, be careful.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: regimentless sven
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2013, 06:47:31 pm »
Alot of ranks here in NW are based off of modern ranks, example the French rank Soldat de Premiere Classe, Private First Class didn't exist back then for all i know, but today it is a distinction in the French army.

If you look at a french company it will tell you: 1 Captain, 2 Lieutenants, 4 Sergents, 8 Caporals and the 125-ish Privates. If you were below a corporal you were a private and there was nothing below private.

As for the rank ' Kingsman ' i have never come across it reading about the British army in this period ( Even though i don't read much about them ). I'm guessing sometime long ago somebody found the rank on a random internet site which talked about ranks of the present day (i.e. Duke of Lancaster Regiment ) and decided to add it to his  ranks for his regiment to create a chain of command and to give rankers chances to rank up without instantly becoming an NCO.

told that bih don't @ me

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2013, 06:55:26 pm »
If you look at a french company it will tell you: 1 Captain, 2 Lieutenants, 4 Sergents, 8 Caporals and the 125-ish Privates. If you were below a corporal you were a private and there was nothing below private.

You forget the second lieutenant, sergeant-major and corporal-fourrier.

Offline Archduke Sven

• Brigadier General
  • I have over 1000 warning points, be careful.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: regimentless sven
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2013, 04:53:05 pm »

You forget the second lieutenant, sergeant-major and corporal-fourrier.

For the Sous-lieutenant he is included in the 2 Lieutenants ( 1 Lt, 1 SLt ), and yes i forgot the Fourrier and the Sergent Major  :-[

told that bih don't @ me