Author Topic: Does wifi affect your ping?  (Read 12951 times)

Offline fireboy

• Colonel
  • 84th/45thN
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Fireboy
  • Side: Union
Does wifi affect your ping?
« on: April 12, 2013, 05:00:23 pm »
Hello, so recently i got wireless internet for my pc. My ping  on some servers has decreased while on others it has increased. So as the title says does wifi affect ping or is this just randomly happening?
[AEF/55th]Anthony 7:12 PM:
you have such a basic style/skillset
but you have the highest ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ GFing IQ i know

Offline TheZach_Attack

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Zach_Attack
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: Does wifi affect your ping?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 05:45:58 pm »
My ping is Wi-Fi, honestly getting wireless has made most of my connections good then terrible.
50-200 ping in seconds and it stays like that for minutes then gets down to 50 agaign, I dont think it should make a diffrence for you Fire... since you suck at melee already.OHHHHHHHH OHOHOHOHOHHHHHHHHH OMGH OMGH

Offline Newkirk

• Colonel
  • 27th Relic
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Old Mr. Kirk
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 04:23:22 am »
I know this is a really old topic, but I was just browsing through and saw it, and I recently went from a wifi connection to a wired connection, and my ping on NA1 has stayed exactly the same. No change at all for me.

Offline kpetschulat

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Petschie
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 04:30:54 am »
Actually, on average, WiFi will make your connection and ping considerably worse. WiFi, since it's not a hardwired connection, works harder and takes longer to transport memory and keep a stable connection, thus causing your bandwith usage to skyrocket. However, like any other internet connection, the closer to the source of your connection, the better your ping (as in lower). So, with that said, I strongly suggest using hardwire ethernet/broadband. Quicker connections, more stable, and your average ping (in regards to gaming) will be less of that than WiFi.

I'm sure your reasons for WiFi are fair, but as I said, I suggest hardwire.

Offline Vincenzo

• Flying Squirrel Dev
  • FSE Developer
  • Dutchman living in Allenstein, Ostpreußen.
    • View Profile
    • Flying Squirrel Entertainment
  • Nick: FSE_Vincenzo
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 09:38:38 am »
Yes, most of the times wifi makes the ping higher, but that is not the real problem the real problem is packet drop!

Wifi, depending on the room, distance to router, antennas, and external interference will generate packet loss.
Warband uses a UDP network system, you send your input, like walking, attacking towards the server, server sends you information of other players in the most basic sence... if a packet is lost along the way it will either be resend or there will be waited for the next packet, this can introduce lag and bugs for the player;
"huh? he was not even near me"
"I HIT HIM! o.o why he no die"

In bad wifi situations you will even see the server dropping you for "connection lost"  because simply too many packets are beeing dropped.

As always, use a cable..

Offline El_Presidente

• Colonel
  • David
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 04:45:45 pm »
It depends on your wireless adaptor or the Ethernet cable.

When using wireless, I get 8Mb/s download on steam - when I plug in my old Ethernet cable I get 600kb/s.

Offline Icarus

• Major
  • Groupfighting Admin, Tyrant of the old 1stKGL
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Ex 91st_LCpl_Matthew_Young
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 02:04:38 am »
wifi is known to be unstable, yes your ping may jump up or down between 5-10 every now and then using wifi, but ping jumping mainly involves internet activity, aka the people using the same internet connection e.g. if people is loading a website, during that process your ping will jump up. Ethernet however is the most stable as it will likely to get interfered