Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion  (Read 5954 times)

Offline KillerMongoose

• Major
  • "And I believe I have cut your throat"- Fiore
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Wryngwyrm
  • Side: Neutral
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
« on: April 10, 2013, 05:06:49 pm »
I recently started to play this game again and I can easily see why I fell in love with it years ago, while Skyrim is very fun and I enjoy the bajeebuz out of it, Oblivion has a certain charm to it that I can't resist. I've gotten hundreds of fun hours out of this game and I intend to get hundreds more.

What about you guys? Do you still play? What kind of stories do you have to share? What do you love/hate about the game?

Offline Reverse

• Second Lieutenant
  • Rule Britannia!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Reverse
  • Side: Union
Re: The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 09:40:15 pm »
I love everything about Oblivion, besides the faces. shudders
I agree about the charm though, I just can't put my finger on it.

Offline Landrik

• First Lieutenant
  • Слава Україні!
    • View Profile
    • Infanterie-Regiment 208 (Reenacted)
  • Nick: Landrik
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 10:58:39 pm »
I must have put well over 1,000 hours into Oblivion on the Xbox, which is funny because the base game is actually not that aesthetically pleasing. Now I'm playing Skyrim with mods and I'm over 300 hours, taking a hiatus because of some PC issues that are now fixed. So I've been playing again and I absolutely love it.

Oblivion is one of my favorite games of all time and probably has most of my hours next to Pokémon.

I agree it has its own charm.

STOP RIGHT THERE CRIMINAL SCUM!
Humans are extremely complicated creatures. Death uncomplicates them to a frightening degree...

Offline Crusader

• First Lieutenant
  • EU Senior Admin of NW, Saturday Linebattle Hoster
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 52nd_King_Adminborn_Crusader
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 11:17:34 pm »
I think Oblivion is better than Skyrim - Skyrim is a wee bit dumbed down, whereas Oblivion is just do whatever the fuck you want and noone cares -Skyrim is too easy to get out of trouble
I hereby present Crusader with the Blobdominican medal for Bravery above and beyond the call of duty in his role as AdminBorn of the FSE servers. We have also arranged some lovely flowers & a kitten to commemorate the occasion.
Thanks Crusader for all of your work in the community!
[/quote]

Offline The Nutty Pig

• Donator
  • It wasn't easy being cheesy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 11:23:00 pm »
Yeah oblivion truly was the better game, the quests had story and thought behing them, and each city had its own story and feel behind it

Offline KillerMongoose

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 12:13:19 am »
I love the music in Oblivion too, so calm and soothing, and the random things that you encounter such as miscellaneous quests and unmarked quest just make it so immersive. Like just today I came across an Imperial Legionnaire on the road between Anvil and Kvatch and his horse was dead and there was a dead scamp at his feet and he was fighting a two more as I found him. Wasting no time I jumped into the fight and killed the scamps and had a nice chat with the guard before charging into an Oblivion gate right off the road. It's those feels that make this game so dear to my heart.

Offline Hawke

• Donator
  • Aquila non capit muscas.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Hawke
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 12:17:47 am »
Instead of an Elder Scrolls 6, they need to remake Oblivion with today's graphics and features.
That would be priceless. Oblivion is the best ES IMO, and far superior to Skyrim.

EDIT: By Azura, by Azura, by Azura! The Grand Champion! Can I polish your boots? Worship the ground you walk on? Backrub, perhaps?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 12:20:22 am by Hawke »

Offline kpetschulat

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Petschie
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 12:29:11 am »
I liked Oblivion, but the very cartoon-like graphics, and the strange mechanics lead me to stop playing.

Morrowind > Skyrim > Oblivion. If they end up remaking an Elder Scrolls, they better re-do Morrowind. That was the BEST TES I have ever played.

Offline Hawke

• Donator
  • Aquila non capit muscas.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Hawke
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2013, 12:33:37 am »
Morrowind was kind of meh.
It was good and all. But combat was crappy, graphics were crappy, and the story wasn't that great. Some of the side-quests and easter-eggs were nice, though.

Offline KillerMongoose

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2013, 01:18:42 am »
Why not remake both? Lol I have seen a Skyrim mod called Skyblivion which needless to say looks awesome lol there's also Skywind I believe but I don't think its made as much progress.

Offline Docm30

• First Lieutenant
  • Retired.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2013, 04:31:55 am »
It was good and all. But combat was crappy, graphics were crappy, and the story wasn't that great. Some of the side-quests and easter-eggs were nice, though.

Morrowind's graphics were great when it came out 11 years ago. The combat is still the best in any Elderscrolls game, because the weapons actually do damage---in Oblivion and Skyrim they hit everytime but do no freaking damage, whereas in Morrowind enemies your level rarely take more than 2 or 3 shots to kill. Anyone who claims that you miss constantly in Morrowind (as so many people do) has obviously not played the game past level 10.

The writing, of course, is probably the best in any video game ever made; the 36 Lessons of Vivec is good enough to be published, being better than 99% of the fantasy that gets published.

The amount of detail in the story is incredible. Sure, the story might not be that good if you don't pay attention and just blow through it, but if you take the time to actually read all the excellently written dialogue and stories, go through the books you're given, explore everywhere the go and find interesting things, you'll discover a story and writing that is almost too good to be in a video game.

Which makes the fact that Oblivion is one of the most poorly written games I've ever played all the harder to take. In Oblivion's defence, though, at least it wasn't as pathetically written as Skyrim. I don't recall there being a single bit of interesting dialogue or writing in the whole of Skyrim.

Offline Friedrich

• Donator
  • 84e. Est. 2010. Official Non-Regiment Hopper.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Friedrich
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2013, 11:25:44 am »
Didn't liked the architecture and environment of Morrowind. It was too fantastic/exotic/awkward. Mushroom trees (before it was cool in Minecraft), purple houses, giant fleas.  ;D

That's why there was no really a pleasant feeling for me. You can call it digital-racism, but fuck yeah didn't enjoy that. But the graphics where really awesome in 2002 and I am really unhappy that the armour system (right hand, left hand, right food, left food, coat over chest armor) wasn't taken over in Oblivion or Skyrim. Since Oblivion all warriors looked cloned (don't mind the imperial legionaries!) beyond a certain level. There is no individualism. Sad!

Offline Docm30

• First Lieutenant
  • Retired.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2013, 11:31:52 am »
At least the environments were original and exotic, which is sort of the point of fantasy. It beats poor clones of medieval Europe any day of the week. Even a realistic copy of Europe would be better than the half-hearted attempts in Oblivion and Skyrim. Where them huge castles at?

In Skyrim's defence, it did have Blackreach, which was one of the coolest places I've ever seen in a game.

Offline Reverse

• Second Lieutenant
  • Rule Britannia!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Reverse
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2013, 08:23:58 pm »

Morrowind's graphics were great when it came out 11 years ago. The combat is still the best in any Elderscrolls game, because the weapons actually do damage---in Oblivion and Skyrim they hit everytime but do no freaking damage, whereas in Morrowind enemies your level rarely take more than 2 or 3 shots to kill. Anyone who claims that you miss constantly in Morrowind (as so many people do) has obviously not played the game past level 10.

The writing, of course, is probably the best in any video game ever made; the 36 Lessons of Vivec is good enough to be published, being better than 99% of the fantasy that gets published.

The amount of detail in the story is incredible. Sure, the story might not be that good if you don't pay attention and just blow through it, but if you take the time to actually read all the excellently written dialogue and stories, go through the books you're given, explore everywhere the go and find interesting things, you'll discover a story and writing that is almost too good to be in a video game.

Which makes the fact that Oblivion is one of the most poorly written games I've ever played all the harder to take. In Oblivion's defence, though, at least it wasn't as pathetically written as Skyrim. I don't recall there being a single bit of interesting dialogue or writing in the whole of Skyrim.

I have played morrowind up to level 15, ignoring the main quest and just doing sidequests and guilds. I agree with you, the writing is superb, but that is morrowind's only strength, when it came out, the graphics were superb. The combat was pathetic, And it was the only game without fast travel. That made the game a pain to play through. Yes, the world was cool, but not as detailed, it was more big things, were as oblivion was little things. I liked morrowind, but oblivion was better.

Offline KillerMongoose

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2013, 08:58:36 pm »
Well the thing about the environments not being original, that's not something the developers had control over because the lore of Tamriel is already in place and has been for years. Cyrodiil looks like a classic medieval fantasy world because that's what it is. Skyrim looks like a Nordic country because that's what it is. Its already part of the loreand geography of tamriel. To change it would ruin the setting