Author Topic: Own Experience?  (Read 13519 times)

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Own Experience?
« Reply #60 on: June 09, 2013, 06:48:08 pm »
Well, overconfidance is quite easily made into reality, for in most countries, getting your high school degree at a high level, it is nearly straight to the academy, as soon as you pass through their election, which is mainly physical, and come on, being normally healthy, is all yu need, and not being mentally ill, of course.

No wait, I though that (at least in the NL), you application approvement needs to be of a certain standard...
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 09, 2013, 07:00:55 pm »
That does not mean you will finish the school, nor does it mean you will become a good commander, nor does it mean you don't have to be serious about it.

Friend of mine wants to do the Cadetschool. Slight problem, he's like 1.90, probably even higher, and has something with his wrist. Anyway, he told me that even if gets into the school and finishes it, it's likely he'll get an office job (But then again, in peacetime, officers spent most of their time in an office anyway.)

But let's head back on-topic.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 07:02:32 pm by Duuring »

Offline joer5835

• Brigadier General
  • My face is tired.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Joer
  • Side: Union
« Reply #62 on: June 12, 2013, 07:26:21 pm »
Probably would have joined the army if not for my horrible condition and being only 1.70m.
Polan is of dangerous to FSE
Im from Poland , a land of lawlessness

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 12, 2013, 08:33:01 pm »
What's wrong with being 1.70?

Offline Augy

• Major General
  • Anarchist. Absurdist. Existentialist. Man. Human.
    • View Profile
    • The Royal Recruits
  • Nick: -[TRR]- Cpt. Augy
« Reply #64 on: June 12, 2013, 08:52:42 pm »
Before you make the move to join the armed forces consider you might have to kill people. innocent people. can you live with yourself if you are a murderer? for real? think about that. forget about money, forget about the rest, since all that doesn't matter in the end, what do you want to do.
“Ego is a structure that is erected by a neurotic individual who is a member of a neurotic culture against the facts of the matter. And culture, which we put on like an overcoat, is the collectivized consensus about what sort of neurotic behaviors are acceptable.” -Terence McKenna

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 12, 2013, 09:20:09 pm »
Before you make the move to join the armed forces consider you might have to kill people. innocent people. can you live with yourself if you are a murderer? for real? think about that. forget about money, forget about the rest, since all that doesn't matter in the end, what do you want to do.

To quote mass effect:

"Things will only destroy you if you let them."
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Venom

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 12, 2013, 09:21:12 pm »
i served in the 2nd ss das reich during ww2  :P

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 12, 2013, 09:22:50 pm »
i served in the 2nd ss das reich during ww2  :P

No

Offline Pinball Wizard

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #68 on: June 13, 2013, 11:22:12 pm »
Both my grandfathers were in the military, there is actually a small chance they met each other, one was in the navy and the other in the army, could have met up on a trip somewhere in the pacific but who knows. I personally am going into the military, either navy or army once I'm done with school

Offline Odysseus

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 13, 2013, 11:43:15 pm »
I always wanted to be a submariner.

I really want to join the military, but Canada's armed forces kinda sucked. I might move to the US.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 14, 2013, 01:44:55 pm »
I always wanted to be a submariner.

I really want to join the military, but Canada's armed forces kinda sucked. I might move to the US.

Move to the US just to join a 'better' militiary which is bankrupting the nation?

What's so bad about the Canadian AF?

Offline Mad_man1

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 14, 2013, 02:36:09 pm »
Going to become a para officier after finish military school hopefully in 1 RCP or 13 RDP

Offline Rival Ze GOD

• Sergeant Major
  • I hurt people, nuff said.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Centurion
« Reply #72 on: June 14, 2013, 05:18:12 pm »

Move to the US just to join a 'better' militiary which is bankrupting the nation?

What's so bad about the Canadian AF?

Everything.....

Offline Tucky

• Sergeant
  • A Sheep.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Gregis_the_Sheep
« Reply #73 on: June 14, 2013, 08:29:26 pm »
I hope to become an Officer in the Paras. But I have got a good 6 or so years before that can happen (Sixth Form.... Uni...).

From family experience in the armed forces; my uncle served with the British Army during the troubles in Ireland, and served a few tours out in Northern Ireland. He was bought out of the army by his wife's (my aunts) parents just before the Gulf War, even though he loved the army.

I am really not sure what my grandfathers did, but my great-grandfather (on my mothers side) was in the Royal Signals during WW2. He actually met his wife (my great-grandmother) through the army. My great-grandfather (on my fathers side) was in the Royal Horse Artillery, and I believe he was hit by a shell in WW1 and was sent home.

My step great-grandfather (or might be great-great) served in the "Black Watch" during WW1, even though he was from Gloucester... He unfortunately was gassed  during WW1 and never really recovered.

We also have a close family friend in the Household Cavalry, The Blues and Royals. He is a farrier within the Blues and Royals and so has the black tail thing on his helmet and also carries an axe. I believe it was last year he was in Trooping the Colour and I think he may be in it this year.

Spoiler

Not exactly the best photo, but the only one without anyone's visible face..
[close]
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 11:59:54 am by Tucky »

Offline Mad_man1

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 15, 2013, 08:29:50 am »
Good luck future para :D